Sign in to follow this  
rholman

how would you clean & stain fence?

Question

I'm curious about a few things.....(1)what cleaner would you use considering the foliage surrounding the fence.....(2)tarps or cardboard sheets to push the plants back on both sides?.....(3)how much extra should i charge?

I'm thinking I will create a V with cardboard or tarps on both sides of the fence so I can still spray stain and then brush in... if I just push back the plants while i'm staining each section then it will naturally want to spring back into the fence and get stain on it....should I just spend a lot of time tarping everything and remove after a few hours? or is there an easier way?

post-3073-137772181309_thumb.jpg

post-3073-137772181318_thumb.jpg

5 answers to this question

Well, there are a couple things you can do...

Tell the client they need to prune back the plantings...

or tell the customer you can't guarantee they won't be somewhat effected - water tends to push plants over, and tarps mush them down.

They should water after you seal the wood, and also feed the plants.

Use a shield - cardboard works well to place between the plants and the wood you are sealing.

If this project scares you, then bid high. Set the expectations that something may happen, not that it won't, then try your best to keep the plants safe.

Beth

I agree, price this one high. Also agree with Beth, defineteley be clear with the client with regards to expectations. This is always a good idea when dealing with tricky situations.