Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

What does it take???

What's keeps you coming back to a vendor?  

437 members have voted

1. 1. What's keeps you coming back to a vendor?

• Customer Service
    • Product Availability
    • Pricing, Discounts
    • Reliability/Dependability
    • Location for shipping costs considerations
    • Communication
    • Order Fulfillment
    • Technical Support
    • If I can't get it from one...I shop elsewhere
    • I have no loyalty, best price gets it

This is a relevant thread for many and I feel that the information divulged by the participants can be constructive because without each other, there would be no meeting the demands of the niche business we are all involved in.

So, what does it take to keep your business with a vendor?

Rod!~

If there is a number of substitute vendors for one product, the main thing for me becomes convenience. Ie: Who gets the product out quickest, and does the most to satisfy the customer.

Also shipping is a huge thing for me on internet ordering. I cant stand spending huge amounts on shipping that makes the product 50 percent more than listed price. I like free shipping or shipping built into the price. Although Bob does a really good job charging exactly what hes charged which is fine since his prices are so good to begin with

This is a relevant thread for many and I feel that the information divulged by the participants can be constructive because without each other, there would be no meeting the demands of the niche business we are all involved in.

So, what does it take to keep your business with a vendor?

Rod!~

As a Vendor I would expect out of us:

1. Communication

2. Expedited shipping

3. Quality control for any issues

I have to say with my past experiences, I've been let down by a few vendors, and also VERY pleased by others. The deciding factors I go with are kinda hard, as each vendor has specific products that if I"m used to and familiar with, I tend to be in a bind with the specific supplier does not come thru. However, I must agree with all of the traits Scott has mentioned, however would like to add a few.

1st. Product availibility - Don't sell a product if you don't have it, many of us don't keep $1,000's of $$$ in inventory and when we are running slightly low I reorder, However if it takes 3 weeks to a month to get a product in, WHO plans for that???

2nd. Honesty - If you say your going to do something, DO IT!!

3rd. ANSWER THE PHONE!!!! - Need I say more

4th. Correct mistakes in a timely manor - If you shipped a product I didn't order, YOU SHOULD PAY FOR THE RETURN SHIPPING! and not 2 weeks later I get a x-mas gift at my front door.

And lastly 5th. - Give me materials to enhance being able to sell the product (Stains) that I can present to customers, that will both give the supplier more buisness, and leave me with information to make an easier sell. It's better to show someone what color they are choosing as opposed to going and getting a box of 64 crayola crayons and picking the closest one.

Other than that, they take my money, give me stuff, and I go make more money.. it's really a win win situation.. I just wonder why some just can't get it right.

Yea if you dont have a product in stock say so! I mean with internet now a days it cant be that hard to write next to the product "out of stock" or something so I know before I order it.

If I pay for something I expect it to be boxed up and in the ups truck the next day not three weeks later

One thing left off for unique vendors is product quality. BUT... that will only get you so far. Shipping costs don't concern me. Order enough to make the shipping cost averaged out over more units. Its pennies.

Delivering what you promise is number one in my book. That encompasses communication, product availability and expedited shipping.

I'll share a story from a day ago...I placed an order online, and got distracted. finished half of it, and went ahead and ordered it. No big deal, I was going to go back and order the rest a little later. So the next day, I ordered the rest on a new order, it was very similar to the order the day before... I get a call...WOW...asking me if I intended to order the second order or was it a duplicate since it was so similar to the first one. They wanted to be sure I needed the product. I was blown away. Then, I was thanked for the business. WOW! You have to really appreciate when people go out of their way to look out for you and make sure everything is correct. I certainly never expected a call, but I have to say, I was thrilled. WOW.....

Beth

In the woodcare business, the only manufacturer I truly rely on is my stain manufactuer. Stain is unique, proprietary, and by far the largest factor in overall material costs, operations, and customer satisfaction. Product must be available, consistant in formula, and of high quality.

Everything else is easy to replace. NaOH strippers, percarbs, and acids are available from numerous vendors and in my experience, vary little in performance and are competitive in price.

The one vendor we have come to heavily rely on, and who is like a silent business partner, is ACR Products. Tom and Barbara Vogel have built a terrific small business, supplying us with nearly everything we could possibly need. Not only Ready Seal stain and chemicals, but ACR is my equipment vendor. From Hydro Tek Pressure Washers, PumpTec decker 5'ers, Shurflos, fittings, wands, hoses, defelting pads etc., they have it all.

Aside for some power tools, cannot think on one piece of equipment that I purchased from anyone else. And in addition, they service just about anything to do with pressure washing.

My biggest gripe would be speed of delivery, or lack of it...Ordering at 1 pm on friday and receiving product in the afternoon on the following friday just doesn't cut it with me.....Another problem is a company who ships thru only one carrier....Most carriers will deliver packages to my door but UPS won't unless I'm there to sign the receipt.. If I'm not there to sign it messes things up for me....Sometimes They will accept a signed note on my door..Sometimes not.....Oh yea, I like to have the option of next day shipping in an emergency and some suppliers won't do it.......

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

Stephen, I think ordering on Friday and receiving on the following Friday is reasonable. If you order that late on Friday, it means it may not get processed until Monday. Let's say its shipped Monday afternoon from Colorado to NJ. That will easily take four days.

As far as leaving packages at your door, the shipper can denote in their ship software that no signature is neccessary from recipient. As far as multiple carriers.. It sounds good on paper but the rates are dramatically different the more volume you do. So if Bob could offer you $18 in UPS ground charges versus $26 with Fed Ex, would you be okay with that?.. Final note: Certain products canot be put into the air thus eliminating overnight ship.

Just wanted to give you a different perspective because my eyes have been opened with Restore-A-Deck. I think having your order processed within 24 working hrs of order time is a reasonable expectation.

What I cannot tolerate is placing an order and then being in limbo (NO TRACKING NUMBER NOR COMMUNICATION) for days after I order. Did the order go through? Was it proccesed? Should I order a plan B from another supplier. I think this is the situation BNR went through and I don't blame them for being upset.

Yaz,

My biggest gripe would be speed of delivery, or lack of it...

Come on, call the Vogels of ACR Products. They are located in Easton, Pa.

I order 30 or more gallons of Ready Seal by 2 PM and it is at my doorstep the next day UPS with no shipping charges. Being in Cliffwood, NJ, you may very well get the same fast delivery.

If not, what?, two days for delivery? And ACR carries just about all the chems, parts, and accessories any woodie could ever need.

I am sure we are among many others to have had an unfavorable experience with vendors in one way or another.

This thread is your chance to form a consensus that would be of benefit to both you and any vendor who would like to examine their company processes as a result of the input shared here.

I would have to agree with Rick in the fact that ACR products has been wonderful to deal with in addition to others who have offered great service like Sunbrite Supply, The Sealer Store, The Chemistry Store, Delco, Paul Kassander at Mobie clean and also Bob at Pressure Tek. We have also had very positive experiences with Keith at KB Graphics and Queensboro.com for other product needs for our company and here on TGS as well.

Our need for good communication, customer service, technical support and prompt shipping upon order fulfillment is what drives me to mention them.

If I didn't mention someone please excuse the oversite. I will list them as I recall them...:thinking:

If any vendor is performing well, give them their due and let others know about it. If there are any you have not had good experiences with overall, leave them be and let them figure it out for themselves. We are professionals and have no need to resort to negativities here.

Rod!~

Customer Service, has to be the most important part of our association with any vendor. If I cannot rely on them, don't bother calling. I sell service and I expect it. Bottom line. We are in the process of looking for different vendors for our business as I don't believe we have the quality of customer service we want for our business now. That could be a $50,000 hit for someone. Thank You.

Some items (hoses, QCs, name brand parts) are cheapest price including shipping for me.

Other items (soaps, speciality parts, repairs parts) I go with the best quality available, price less of an object. Basicly its cheaper in the long run to buy the best.

I do try to spread my dollars around to good suppliers who have been helpful and offered customer support, got to keep the good guys in business.

I will not deal with some companies who offer cheap prices, cheap products, and bad customer service (no names mentioned-- you know the company)

customer service is # 1. They must be able to meet me in the middle we make mistakes sometimes and run out of thing we need fast and when I need them i always need them now. Price is an issue but for somethings I try to get from other suppliers if i need too. Chemicals are the most important part for us so need good price and good stuff.

To me what's important is that the distributor will have:

1. Friendly & Caring Service.

2. Knowledge about the products being sold.

3. The product will ship right away.

4. The trust that I can call "such and such distributor" and get the product for a good price and not having to shop around. They don’t necessarily have to be the lowest but only a small difference that I'm not going to care.

There are two things that ALL customers want.

(1) They want to know you care about them personally and (2) that you are going to help solve their problem right now.

I am loyal to vendors that fit this model.