Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

Best Clothing for Spraying Seal?

Question

I really should just post a picture on here from today, a snap of myself covered in stain. Man, it gets so hot out here in the summertime, just cant deal with wearing anything too hot when Im spraying a deck. What do the pros wear when their spraying decks? Coveralls? Face masks and respirators? I really want to get my gear up to par, tired of coming home and having to take a mineral spirits bath! Okay, so my fiance nudged me to post this one..;) If some of your pros could share your secrets on how to stay clean when dealing with deck spraying, I would appreciate it! (and so would my fiance'....and come to think of it, my dog, he hates lickin my stain saturated face when i come home at the end of the day... woof!)

19 answers to this question

Goto Napa Auto and get the white Tyvek suit.They are cool and you will look really cool in them... :) ..or some of them carry the semi-used overalls.

I have a battery powered full face posative air respirator I would probably part with. I'll stick it on the Ebay if ya like. Likely to go for a c note on there though so it might be a bit pricey for ya.

Hey thanks Kevin... Looks like its only us on the w. coast up tonight,eh? Anyyyyyways, yeah, I may be interested in your face mask. Can you explain to me how the battery aspect works? Not familiar with these masks. Hey, Im still hunting all around here for some 12.5%, may have to get up to Sac. to pick some up at your place! That was Sierra Chem right? What do you pay p/gal for this yummy stuff?

Stay clean what's that my? tan in the summer is Cedar Gold one week then Cedar dark another week.I wear shorts and t-shirt mostly.I only wear a mask when spraying an arbor not outdoors in the open.

Best I got there is 53gal for $2.20 with $40 deposit. I looked and couldn't find anybody near you really but one would think there has to be. Did you check with Ace as some sell them in cases. Other than finding an actual chem supplier your best bet probably 10% from walmart.

Don't know much about the air thing.. :) I just use the regular twin full face for some jobs and then a half twin while burnishing floors.

yeah Shane, that was me today.... cargo shorts and a t-shirt... i wear these "crocs' sandle things, great for wet work. dont know how you do it w/o respirator though... my head is still buzzing from spraying RS all day without one.

thanks Kevin, yeah, a real ***** not being able to find any 12.5% around here! Ace has the 10% 3.25 p/gal. How big of a deal is that extra 2.5% anyways? Ive been using 4% so maybe 10% would be sufficient for now.

yeah Shane, that was me today.... cargo shorts and a t-shirt... i wear these "crocs' sandle things, great for wet work. dont know how you do it w/o respirator though... my head is still buzzing from spraying RS all day without one.

Well you just learn to spray in the oposite direction of the wind.What wand are you using to spray how long is it?

im using the adjustable deckster spray gun, about 24" from trigger to spray tip. I try to spray "with" the wind as well... maybe i need to work on my technique a bit more... i usually leave the deck as a west-indian from the knees down.

Shorts, shoes and t shirt usually covered with a long sleeve button up shirt to keep the sun off. you can put the collar up in the back to protect your neck. Normally I wouldn't mind the tan, but all these UV index 9/10 days can be killer

I wear the black mesh gym shorts from Wal-Mart ($8.88?), tee shirt, and slip on camp shoes which I also wear when cleaning. The shorts don't show any stain, and I replace the shirts as they get to look too bad. The camp shoes rock as far as cleaning goes, so long as you don't hit yourself with caustics.

I don't usually bathe in stain anymore, but I usually do have "Eau d'Ready Seal" by the time I finish. How do you get stain on your legs???

post-1644-137772182044_thumb.jpg

Matt,

Takes practice. The first season I used my decker 5'er and adjustable gun, went through a whole lot of t-shirts and shorts. Even before that just brushing, seemed to get a lot of stain on me and my attire.

You can always tell an experienced painter after a full days work. He is the cleanest one of the crew.

Painter wear white cause in old days that was the main color and it didn't show.. it sorta stuck after awhile. My father always wore white and but was aways rather clean no matter what color he was using. His hair was always speckled though..

I have been getting the orange V at the neckline lately from over atomization of my spray. Seriously thought about going orange outfits but I am scrapping the idea. Would look like an escapey from the prizon or Cal Trans workers. Gonna stick with white.

Hay Shane,

I have the same quick connect setup on my braided hose. Where did you get the brass pieces for the wand?

Thanks mon

Hmmmm i wanna say Tractor supply/hardware store but it's been a while since i bought some....i'll get back to you on that one

Kevin said:

I have been getting the orange V at the neckline lately from over atomization of my spray.

Is orange stain color a big seller on exterior wood on the west coast? Knew Ca. was a bit weird, but that seems totally out to lunch.

Yes..whenever stain comes over the summit into Cali. they go through changes at the cellular level to where they turn into orange colored fake tanning oils...think it something to do with wanting to get with all the girlies and fitting in.. :island::beerchug::martini: