Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Water Supply Tank choice?

Question

My local pressure washer/Landa outlet has a new 275 gallon poly tank for sale. The thing is, it is square shaped as opposed to cylindrical. I don't know if there was any advantage to certain shapes - I just don't see these square shape water/chem tanks too often, but the price seems right. And I would think it would be more efficient use of area on my trailer. Any thoughts?

19 answers to this question

I have never paid retail for water tanks, is there a manufacturer of them near you? If so go there and talk with the owner or manager and explain what your business is and ask what type of discount you can get and get a book on what they make, you will be surprised how many different types of tanks they make.

Here's a few links, check them out then see how good a price he has, remember to add in shipping if not local where you can pick up.

water tanks, plastic tanks, septic tanks

Custom Plastic Tanks Marine Water Holding RV - Plastic-Mart

See if any of these manufacturers are near you.

Plastic tank manufacturers of plastic water, storage, and septic tanks, poly tanks, and chemical tanks.

Jon

Sounds like you described a typical "tote".

Those tanks usu. have what I call a "shark cage" around them and are mounted to a pallet. They can be found for around 75.00 used. Another 50.00 - 100. 00 bucks for plumbing and you are set. The down side to that tank vs. cylinder tank is it will surely block your rear view. I have used a tote for 4 years before I went to a cylinderder design. It's a good inexpensive way to get started on a tank setup as that design is plentiful. Vs. paying the retail gouge rate.

Jon, will you be at the balloon fest in Oct.? Would like to meet you......

missed you past couple of times in ABQ.

The thing I moved away from was the barrel tanks. They take up too much room and don't allow any functionality around them due to design. We changed to a square tank and found that not only does it allow for better use of the room around it, the water doesn't slosh around as bad as the barrel type which round design promotes the wave like movement of the water making your vehicle surge back and forth and so on.

The square tank allowed me to mount a plywood top on it with room for shelves on each side and a hose reel on top.

Just food for thought.

Rod!~

A new plastic round 235 is $300 here...

I use my 5.6g direct from house line, but want to rig a surge tank.

Will start with a 55g drum...

Thanks for advice on the square tanks!

Plenty of grape juice around here... will look for a used one.

r

Square peg fits better in a round hole?..nope.. I see square tank more and more on pro built trailer setups. Cheap DIY way to do it is with the caged tanks. They can easily be pallet jacked right off a trailer..Do google search for IBC tanks and have a look at this recent thread: http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/tools-equipment-basic-maintenance/10871-water-tank.html

I bought mine at a store called Tractor Supply Company (TSC). I'm out here in New England so I don't know if you have these stores. Price was very good and you dont have to pay shipping which can cost hundreds of dollars.

I have a source to get the 275 gal totes, one about every 2 weeks. I will be seling them as I get them. My only problem is where to get the conector for the outlet. It is 2 1/4 inch there thread or a snap on. Where can I get them?

I finally decided to come out from the shadows and post a reply.

I just bought a new 325 gallon tank (horizontal leg) and 2 - 35 gallon horizontal leg tanks from ntotanks.com. I would drive to the nearest Tractor Supply Store but I think it would have actually been more expensive!

I think I got a pretty good deal...right at $500 for all 3 tanks freighted to my door.

Check them out if you'd like.

If anyone lives in or around KY. I can get totes for around forty dollars. They are standard 2 in. with ball valve.

40 bucks is the best I've heard of for used totes !

What were they used for ?

r

Down here in south Louisiana, there are alot of tanks just laying around. You just have to know the right people to get them for the right price. I got mine really cheap, 4 - 300 gallon (I call them pallet tanks) for $100. They weren't in the best of shape, but they held water. I had to build new pallets for 2 of them. We use them in the offshore oil business, there are thousands of tanks of every make, shape and size at every shore base dock along the coast.

Thanks for the info, Bill.

I'm on a low budget for a while 'til something breaks loose.

If I gotta go out looking for work, might as well be looking for good deal on a tank at the right places!

How big is Covington?

Ever run across a Rick or Sandy Otto down there ?

r

Too stop sloshing, you can cut up the large drain/soil pipes & fit them through the top cap one at a time until you have covered the whole area.

Karl Robinson

Robinson-Solutions

Mallorca, Spain

Too stop sloshing, you can cut up the large drain/soil pipes & fit them through the top cap one at a time until you have covered the whole area.

Karl Robinson

Robinson-Solutions

Mallorca, Spain

I have used empty milk jugs to do this as well. ANything that will baffle the water. They just need to be able to drain all the liquid out by gravity.