Sign in to follow this  
VanDiesel99

Anyone used wet sand blaster kit with pressure washer?

Question

I have a 16 foot trailer with some rust on the frame and wheels. I was going to purchase wet sand blast kit(fits the tip of the gun) which draws sand into the spray water. Just curious if I blast this trailer if it is going to flash rust, or if there is a chem I can put in it to keep it from flash rusting? Also what is a good place to find a blaster kit, 5gpm 3000 psi max. I feel like this is too much metal to hand dry.

sandblaster, sand blaster

Has an industrial and a regular heavy duty. It seems as if the industrial will fan out a little more, which is necessary I think.. Ideas?

20 answers to this question

[YT]R0PvkI2BADo[/YT]

This is a video of me sandblasting a steel chair. It's a piece of cake. "Rust Ban" will prevent flash rusting and can be painted over without further cleaning or rinsing.

You'll notice in the video, the sand inlet hose is always held above the nozzle and the gun is rested with the nozzle in a downward position. This keeps water from tricklin back into the sand hose. If the sand gets wet, it won't draw.

This is the "medium duty" kit from Ultimate Washer, but can be had for less.

It's all you'd need for occasional use.

You know Russ, I was watching that and thinking no way, it is not possible, that chair would have launched across the yard, then at the 20 second mark the leg swung up.

I have what that site calls the Heavy Duty. The $159 version, and have only used it with soda on masonary for grafitti. They make a soda formula with flash rust prevention. www.armex.com

It's a piece of cake. "Rust Ban" will prevent flash rusting and can be painted over without further cleaning or rinsing.

I bought a blast kit from Russ and loved it. I learned by trial and error about the orientation of the draw hose.

Rust Ban that Russ sells works as advertised. (I applied it with my x jet with a proportioner in it...super easy) I bought it and my trailer didn't rust for a week. Some parts that never had water contact (post blasting) like the underside of rails that were covered, never rusted after almost a month unprimed.

Highly reccomend

Scott

Looks pretty effective.

Do your guy's insurance cover sandblasting? I know mine doesn't, but that definitely looks useful. I know I have a few friends that just need something done like an old military trailer, and wheels, etc. I may have to get one.

Down here I cannot find sand but they have soda or Black Beauty (copper slag) and it is about $6.00 per 50 pound bag. I am wondering if you had a bigger air compressor if it would be more cost effective to just sand blast it or is it still less expensive to water sand blast it?

I have used mine about 6 or 7 times over the last 4 years. I wouldn't want to be doing anything big with it. I pay $30 for the armex soda. Sure wish I could get it for $6.00. It does have it's occasional use.

Down here I cannot find sand but they have soda or Black Beauty (copper slag) and it is about $6.00 per 50 pound bag. I am wondering if you had a bigger air compressor if it would be more cost effective to just sand blast it or is it still less expensive to water sand blast it?

Black Beauty is actually the stuff I was using. It's as sharp as silica, but cheaper. I would imagine a really huge job might go a little faster with an industrial compressor and sand pot, but you've got to be hooded, sutied, gloved, and wear breathing protection. Wet sandblasting requires a good pair of closed sided goggles. I also recommend a hat to keep some of the sand out of your hair.

Anybody have any ideas of a good coating to put on a steal frame trailer after it has been sand blasted? I'm looking to do the same thing, but not real sure which direction to go as far as a new coating. Regular paint seems to be worthless when faced with chlorine and other harsh chemical spills and splashes. Any ideas?

How about a Rhino Liner type coating?

That was my thought, but I was hoping someone could confirm the use/result of a product like that, or maybe another product that I hadn't thought of.

Anyone use a sand (what type is best?) to take old, starting to peel paint off a car? If so, how do you protect the windows and weather stripping?

What is the best process?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

be careful blasting auto body parts with sand, you can build up heat and warp the pannels. Now there are other alternatives, blasting with all types of media.

I blast with Soda only. It is very gentle to the surface and will not damage metal- But the equipment is very specialized to run that media(soda)