Sign in to follow this  
Mountain View

Real Estate Agents

Question

Have any of you hooked up with Real Estate Agents to wash houses before they go on the market? Has it been a worthwhile venture? What pitfalls should I be looking out? How do you bill them? Any other experience or opinions on this subject would be appreciated.

9 answers to this question

I have done work for several agents. The jobs have been few and far between. I see houses for sale all around this area that look terrible. You would think that would be a good connection but that has not been my experience. Maybe you will have better luck.

I work with a local real estate company here and I pay $1200 a year to be listed as a "Preferred Vendor" on their website. I receive about 5-6 calls a month from them, either from a current homeowner or an agent. I then have to bid the work like anything else, however, my company and a local start-up get 99% of the calls on the north side of Indianapolis. I then pay a 5% fee on all finished work to the real estate company.

The company sends out all of my marketing stuff to over 650 of their agents. Some agents know the value of curb appeal but still others are price shoppers. Since they are usually responsible for paying the tab, don't expect big dollar jobs.

I really push the wood restoration jobs and the concrete driveways to them - they can really improve the appearance of a home when it is on the market.

**** those people. I've done like 3 jobs for them, And No way in hell am I gonna pay $1200 to be "listed" as a preferred contractor. They're selling houses so damn fast, that it doesn't matter what the exterior looks like. Most "for sale" washes I do is because the owner wants it done. Other than that it's oogats... And this is coming from a guy who's best friend is a BIG real estate guy!

Following up on what James said. I have probably done as many if not more washes for properties for sale because the owner called me prior to listing than getting an agent to have me do it.

People can be dumb as rocks too. I went by one property in an area I was working. House for sale, obviously empty and very nasty looking. I measure the house, work up a quote and call the listing agent. She says that she will pass the quote on to the owners but she already told them the house needed to be cleaned and the didn't want to spend the money. We're talking about $250 here to wash a house listed at over $225,000.

Six months later I am in the area and drive by the house. Still for sale with a reduced sign across the realtors sign and still filthy. I can't understand the logic in reducing your price thousands after paying thousands in mortgage payments for six months on an empty house but you won't spend $250 first to give the thing some curb appeal.

Here's your sign.

What do estate agents do?

Real estate agents market and sell property. They also deal with paperwork, monitor the chain (buyers who sell their old home and sellers who buy their new home), communicate with your lawyer and negotiate with buyers and sellers. Real estate agents do not deal with surveys - you will need a surveyor for this, but they might have partnerships in place to recommend you a surveyor. for more information visit our website: http://www.gordonrutty.net.au

I also have done quiet a bit of work for Real Estate agents in my area.   What has worked for me personally is developing a good working relationship with those top sales agents and reward them with small gifts after a few jobs that goes a long way especially when you do excellent work. 

I cant say that we have a steady stream of support from Real Estate agents. We have done work for agents but have not been able to have them be a consistent source of work. We tried offering a discount to their buyers and still no interest. You would think that it would be in their interest that the house they are selling would be easier to sell clean but we have never gotten the response thaT seemed right.

We have had  a lot of success  with Realestate investors flipping houses and they do offer steady work from that sector so that is what we focus on.