Sign in to follow this  
All Clean PCS

concrete help?

Question

I would appreciate anybody's help with this. I need a good concrete cleaner for new construction. The driveway's are stained with red clay & mud(GA).

I used to use muriatic acid but I've read that it's bad to use it. I've tried 12.5% but it's not cleaning very well. Also should i stick with the 12.5% on the older driveway's, mostly mold & mildew but also mud stains. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

8 answers to this question

Chlorine is going to be strictly for the mold/mildew as it works on the organics and doesn't really make much of an emulsifier or surfactant.

If your basic hydroxide, specialty silicate type cleaners,or foaming degreasers don't work then I see no problem with a light etch/clean with the muratic. Have you made damage before down to the aggregate or such? Construction cleanup often times requires this type restorative level of work in using muratic. It can be the nature of it due to the stains leaching into uncured crete. You almost got no alternative..Could try oxalic acid though on some spots as sometimes it can be a rusting effect of the minerals within the crete leaching out...

Thanks for the input MMI. I never did any damage with the m acid, I was just trying to find something that wasn't so harsh. I've read some people using cleaners with sodium hydroxide, I think, and wondered if it worked good. Also I only have a cold water machine right now, don't know if that makes a big difference as far as the cleaners go.

Thanks for the input MMI. I never did any damage with the m acid, I was just trying to find something that wasn't so harsh. I've read some people using cleaners with sodium hydroxide, I think, and wondered if it worked good. Also I only have a cold water machine right now, don't know if that makes a big difference as far as the cleaners go.

What dilution it taking with the acid.. 20:1...10:1 or ?

Long as it looks even and no damage then your good to go with how you been doing it. If you are going much stronger dilution then it may be good idea to really make sure you stick to schedule of allowing same cure time for each job.

Lack of heat could very likely be your biggest issue..

Jeff,

I Have Been Doing New Construction For Years.pre Wet Concrete

Dsing Use Mur Acid W/ I Oz Of Soap And Heat If You Have It.do Not Let Acid Dry On Concrete. Use A

25 Degree Tip Stay About 6 To 10 Inches Away.

Dear Jeff,

I hope an combination of 90% sodium percorbonate, 10% soda ash & 10% sodium metasilicate should do the job. Mix should be like 1Kg in 4 Ltrs of water & just sprinkle the mix on a pre-wetted floor. Hope this will do the job & if you are satisfied with performance if this formulation, Please forget not to let me know.

Suresh Kumar G

Dear Jeff,

I hope an combination of 90% sodium percorbonate, 10% soda ash & 10% sodium metasilicate should do the job. Mix should be like 1Kg in 4 Ltrs of water & just sprinkle the mix on a pre-wetted floor. Hope this will do the job & if you are satisfied with performance of this formulation, Please forget not to let me know.

Suresh Kumar G

one inch of muriatic in five gallon bucket with the rest water x-jetted on with low pressure nozzle then rinse with 25 degree tip 6 to 10 inches away is the only way to clean new concrete with red mud and get a professional job.