Sign in to follow this  
Apple Roof Cleaning

Gillette Foamy Shaving Cream

Question

I just bought a can of Gillette Foamy after the other "on sale store brand" ran out.

What a difference.'

I still ask mysely WHY I buy anything else, to save 50 cents ?

IMHO, Gillette Foamy Regualr is the "Gold Standard" of shaving creams, unless you prefer a Gel .

What am I doing shaving at 11.42 PM ?

Well ... my girlfriend is a Nurse at the local Jail.

She gets off work soon, so I am probably spending the night there.

:)

42 answers to this question

So...will you be needing bail money?

No, I am still at home.

Looks like I will be staying here too.

Sometimes, it takes her longer to pass meds out, and she gets off too late for me to stay up, and drive to her house.

Smoothest combo I found is the Gillette Fusion tripple razor (vibrator off) on that green gel...forget the brand, maybe Edge. Probably don't matter long as it has lanolin.

I got no problem with Barbasol or Colgate though as they don't clog the razor as easy as the gels.

Why do people use shaving cream?

I shave in the shower with nothing but water, or I shave dry. I used the foam when I was a boy, am I missing out on something?

WOW! I'm really missing out. I go to the barber shop weekly and I love the shave.

Scott, I wish I could use no creme. Razor wouldnt shave me, maybe pull the hair out.

Yea if ya think about it I suppose there are up and coming young folk that may not know how to shave due to not having male figures around.

The older ya get the rougher it gets and soon enough most figure out that some hot water prior to the foam helps. Hot water on the razor inbetween strokes not only cleans it of course but it also does something to make the edge last longer.

If I got a hot date and know I'll be having desert after then changing things up in going against the grain may be on the agenda. Makes for a bit more rashy feeling on you but you'll have better chance at being asked back for desert again. :)

Anyone use a straight razor

always thought that would be cool to try

I've used a straight razor...but I wasn't shaving.

Seriously though, in a past life some guys I ran with and I used to get barber shaves many Friday afternoons before we headed out for the night: Hot towels, soap foam, straight razor, tonic, and more hot towels. Often accompanied by cigars.

I loved those days, that was Friday, Saturday was menthol steam to get over the libations of the night before. Nothing cures a hangover as well as time in a steamroom.

Thanks for reminding me, Ron! Sheds unexpected new light on diaper-duty!

Smoothest combo I found is the Gillette Fusion tripple razor (vibrator off) on that green gel...forget the brand, maybe Edge. Probably don't matter long as it has lanolin.

I got no problem with Barbasol or Colgate though as they don't clog the razor as easy as the gels.

Yeah, the Fusion RULES.

SOME prefer Gel over foam.

Here is my take on it.

Gel is a bit smoother, but clogs the blades more then foam.

It requires more rinsing then foam, and is a BIT slower.

Yea if ya think about it I suppose there are up and coming young folk that may not know how to shave due to not having male figures around.

The older ya get the rougher it gets and soon enough most figure out that some hot water prior to the foam helps. Hot water on the razor inbetween strokes not only cleans it of course but it also does something to make the edge last longer.

If I got a hot date and know I'll be having desert after then changing things up in going against the grain may be on the agenda. Makes for a bit more rashy feeling on you but you'll have better chance at being asked back for desert again. :)

When eating desert, a good shave is a MUST :)

Anyone use a straight razor

always thought that would be cool to try

When I was a small Boy growing up in Detroit, Grandpa used Soap and a old school razor.

I can remember watching my Grandpa shave still.

Like me, Grandpa did NOT like to shave.

I do not shave every day, unless I am out working, giving estimates, or something special.

IF I am with my girlfriend, shaving is a MUST.

And so, I keep some shaving stuff at her place.

She is a Nurse, and anal about cleanliness/hygine.

Washing hands after using the bathroom is a MUST at her place.

I have TRIED to explain to her that because I am a roof cleaner, the Sodium Hypochlorite "disinfects me".

I LOST that argument, so I just do as she asks, she who MUST be obeyed, LOL

She even LISTENS for the running water, and has even been known to check for the towel I wiped my hands on, LOL

In my 53 years on Planet Earth, I have found it is a LOT easier to just let a Woman have her own way.

They are gonna GET what they want one way or another, so WHY fight ?

Works for me.

old spice foam goes for one dollar at the drugstores

who needs the fancy crap

I have tried Old Spice Foam, Colgate, Barbasol, and many others.

In the old days, when I was trying to develop my non pressure roof cleaning techniques, I ran into a friendly chemist.

He was a football nut like me, and we really hit it off.

He helped me a LOT in understanding how chemicals worked.

He told me that in College, he was taught there were several products that were "Gold Standards".

Meaning they were the products all others sought to emulate.

He mentioned Tide, Dawn, and Gillette Foamy.

I agree about Dawn, as far as SOAP goes, a little bit of it sudses up like no other.

Tide I do not agree on, I use whatever is cheap, works fine.

But I do agree about Gillette Foamy Regular.

To me, it is in another class of shaving cream.

Too bad it does NOT smell as good as Old Spice :lgtear:

My dad used to wear that old spice cologne ..powerful stuff..

He was first on block to have the foam heater. Wonder if they still make them. They were tan plastic with a couple lights and buttons and were like 6x9" sized. Ya just stuck yer can in the back and out comes hot foam out the front...Last time I saw one was maybe 5 year back at a yardsale.

As for the shaving I mostly do it in the shower as well but I have found that when not in the shower the cream does make the razor move a lot easier.

Chris, We are about the same age and I too have found that you give the ladies thier way for piece........but in a slightly different way. I told my wife I was looking at another sports car about 3 years ago. She said, don't you have enough toys now. You don't need another toy. Got tired of hearing her ***** about the idear so I said OK, bought the car, put it in storage, drive it when I want, everyones happy. That worked for about 2 years until one day when out in the car I suddenly realized I forgot to do something very important at home. Ran straight home, pulled up in the driveway ...........and you guessed it, forgot what I was in! Oh well.....she got over it!

As for the shaving I mostly do it in the shower as well but I have found that when not in the shower the cream does make the razor move a lot easier.

Chris, We are about the same age and I too have found that you give the ladies thier way for piece........but in a slightly different way. I told my wife I was looking at another sports car about 3 years ago. She said, don't you have enough toys now. You don't need another toy. Got tired of hearing her ***** about the idear so I said OK, bought the car, put it in storage, drive it when I want, everyones happy. That worked for about 2 years until one day when out in the car I suddenly realized I forgot to do something very important at home. Ran straight home, pulled up in the driveway ...........and you guessed it, forgot what I was in! Oh well.....she got over it!

You know what, I JUST enrolled and completed an anger management course.

All VOLUNTARY too.

Best money I ever spent !

They try and teach you that being angry at someone is like having an accident in your pants.

The person most affected is YOU !

My Girl and I have been getting along great.

I no longer "fight for control" with her, and our relationship has nevver been better.

You learn in anger management that you can't control another person, and the ONLY thing you can control is yourself.

Hey Chris.. did ya get souced and into some desert after da smooth brylcream shave?

..people lookin fer yer souce over at the other site.. :)

BRYLCREEM is not shave cream, it is an old school hair dressing.

It gives you the greaser look.

Go and LEARN about the BRYLCREEM .....

Maybe you too can be a greaser ?