Sign in to follow this  
Chris S

Synthetic oil?

Anyone run synthetic in your small engines? I have not before, but I will on this new engine as soon as the break in period is over. It will only cost me a few bucks more a year, so why not? Does anyone know if someone sells a synthetic ND 30 oil?

Anyone run synthetic in your small engines? I have not before, but I will on this new engine as soon as the break in period is over. It will only cost me a few bucks more a year, so why not? Does anyone know if someone sells a synthetic ND 30 oil?

Chris, I'm sure some equipment guru will correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't need non-detergent oil in your small-engine crankcase. I'm assuming that is what you are referring to.

In the pump, you definately want a non-detergent oil, and should scrupulously change it.

I've found the investment in synthetics has always paid off in all my engine applications, except one: Old engines, that you buy used.

I use Mobil 1 in every motor I buy new, or rebuild. Motorcycles, PWers, pickups, tractors, big trucks, you name it. I even use it in my outboards. The peace of mind is worth it to me. I have a 94 Chevy Suburban with 201 thousand on the clock, and these are hard working, off-road miles, that has never had the heads off.

Mobil 1 since it was new.

(On Edit: I actually use Shell Rotella-T in my commercial tractors.)

Been running a Hydrotek PW with a Vanguard twin engine for coming up on 5 seasons. Change the synthetic oil (Mobil 1) once a year. Zero problems to date.

Wow! only 1 oil change per year, in a small engine?

That MUST be good oil.

r

Wow! only 1 oil change per year, in a small engine?

Rich,

We only work on exterior wood and do not run our PW's as long or hard as others doing flatwork etc. And with the climate here in the Northeast, the season is ~ 7 months.

Nah no synthetic oil for my small engines. Just something decent like Castrol. I use Mobil 1 in my truck though (7 qts killing me lol).

--

And I wouldn't use ND. The detergents in the oil help to suspend the "junk" in the oil...with ND, the harmful deposits deposit themselves on the engine components instead.

ooo yea.. stick in higher octane super along with domed pistons and a turbo charger and we can turn a engine suitable for 5gpm pump into one able to run an 8gpm...um err hell that aint a bad idea ya know..think about it. Which is better a whole new machine or slapping a few parts on?..haha..

Ah who am I kidding..I can't even keep my porsche running.. got to stick a copper head gasket in it to try and keep the compression under control one of these days. It'll probably blow the whole engine up when I do it being askets are a kind of safety valve of sorts...

But anyways, for the cleanest longest engine you go synthetic oil and convert to propane.

--

And I wouldn't use ND. The detergents in the oil help to suspend the "junk" in the oil...with ND, the harmful deposits deposit themselves on the engine components instead.

I should have been more clear in my original post. I was asking about ND for the pump.

The best oil for small engines hands down is Shell Rotella,,the high magnesium content is just one of the many benefits,all the rest of the snake oils can take a back seat :)