Sign in to follow this  
seymore

Soda Blasting a PT deck

Question

11 answers to this question

It is interesting, isn't it...

Wonder if it's cost effective, to use that equipment for the task.

The pot seems small, now that I think of it. many reloads ?

I bet it would be great on the vertical surfaces.

r

Looks like it does a good job but it is slow. I haven't done much wood but I think a chem strip would be faster. What about left over soda powder mixing with the stain when it is applied? Is that much of a problem?

I did some soda blasting years ago just a couple times, but it makes for a nice smooth finish on metal. We did some equipment and it was cool, got all the nooks & grannies nice

good lord

i could strip that deck probably 10 times quicker and save myself from needing an new wrist

set up time and protecting everything looks like half a day

not to mention the hearing loss after a couple decks, I had a headeach just watching this from the high piched noise.

I don't know about the system this guy is using, from the distance he's staying off of the wood it looks like he's running way too much pressure and probably damaging the wood...as Ken says. However, we use media blasting quite a bit on painted decks. Does a great job and the customers seem to love it.

Getting the right system and using the right media makes a big difference.

Kevin

Kevin - a few years ago, I went into this house that was being totally restored - a 130 yr. old victorian - and decided to blast all the wood with walnut hulls blast media. As long as I followed with a hand sand of 100 grit - it came out beautifully - the only problem, was that my gun kept getting gunked up - as if, as long as there is humidity - the moisture collects in the tank and screws up the process. It worked great in the middle of winter, So I gave up on it.

Daniel,

We found out that there is more to it than we thought when we started. Getting the right system is the key, and the good systems ain't cheap...unfortunately. We've had pretty good luck with it...the bottom line is to use no more pressure than is absolutely necessary to get the old coating off, use the right media. Dryers in the line take care of the moisture problem, but you usually have to make sure you have 2 - 3 dryers and a condenser to dry the media.

It's a dirty job, but it pays pretty well and the customers are happy.

Kevin

Guy in the vid is a rookie, IMHO. First thing I do is stop new guys from making all those small passes. It shows up after the finish is on. Every time you change direction, feather, just like spraying paint. Never, ever, go back and forth like he is doing, unless you have the pressure reallllly low, and are spotting knots or something like that.

BTW, soda kills grass, plants, etc, NOT plant friendly, despite being advertised all over as environmentally so....