Sign in to follow this  
LCPW

Help!! What do you pull your trailer with?

Question

Ok, here's the deal...

I'm looking at getting an enclosed trailer within the next couple months. It will have the usual 500 gal water tank, washer, 50 gal chem tank and various other equipment.

I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of the weight of such a setup (including the weight of the trailer).

As I have not owned a trailer before I'm kind of in the dark here.

THE REASON, I'm wondering the weight is fairly simple.

I'm looking at purchasing the vehicle to tow this rig and I would really like to get an SUV instead of a pickup. Pressure washing is just a seasonal side business for me so this will also be my day-to-day vehicle as well.

I'm just wondering if anyone has towed such a rig with a 2004 tahoe (or somthing similar)

At the end of the day if it can't be done I'll get the truck but I'd really like to look at a larger SUV if I could get away with it.

Any help would be appreciated !

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

With a 500 gallon water tank, you're looking at getting a dual axle, enclosed trailer. Something with dual 3500 pound axles, making the GVW of the trailer 7,000...and you'll be pulling every bit of that with 500 gallons.

500 gallons = 4,000 lbs.

50 gallons = 400 lbs.

Equipment = 1,000 lbs.

Trailer weight itself = ~2,000 lbs.

so there you're at 7400 lbs already...

You need to be thinking 3/4 ton...Suburban or Excursion if you must get an SUV. I wouldn't even want to tow 7400 lbs with my 5.4L F150 with a longer wheel base to be honest.

--

Why do you need 500 gallons? Your best bet would be a nice used 3/4 or 1 ton diesel with under 100k on the odometer to pull that.