Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

Ipe Deck Cleaning and Staining

Question

I don't get to do too much work anymore but got the muscles working again yesterday. I do sometimes miss cleaning a deck especially a hardwood like ipe. The stain used is WoodZotic. Deck cleaner and wood brightener was Restore-A-Deck. Took me (by myself) about 6 hrs from start to finish because of all the cutting in (and allowing the deck to dry a bit after cleaning)

clean1.jpg

woodzotic_on_ipe.jpg

ipe_deck.jpg

ipe_front.jpg

ipedeckstain_woodzotic.jpg

whole_ipe_deck.jpg

18 answers to this question

Hey Ken,

Nice work, its good to see you still have the touch. Thought all that marketing and voodoo Excel formulas may have dulled your craft!

Hope to see you at ACR on the 17th.

Ken, you should get out more often...it looks great.

But...I know, you need to be running the business and not working in it.

I know it helps to stay on top of things by doing a project and keeping your skills honed.

Rod!~

Carlos, yes. These are the cleaning and stain products we sell.

Beth, it is a great yard. Real estate is at a premium up here so people get crafty with smaller footprint yards. Not seen in picture was a great pool and 500 s/f flagstone patio with outdoor kitchen. I'm actually excited about the next project which just got moved back to next week. I think I am going to strap on the boots for that one as well though I'll probably bring 2-3 guys with me to stain it. Ipe lattice, stacked stone pillars, custom wrought iron spindles, two ipe balconies coming off the front and back of the property. Should be a nice one.

Thanks Kev. Nope, it was built of (the name eludes me now) that stuff that is synthetic with color al the way through. You can sand out any nicks or abrasions in it. Doesn't need to be painted. I personally would never use it. Even though the deck was finished a week prior, the stair risers already looked pretty crappy.

Ken, The mayor has committed to replacing the yp with ipe and has gone so far as to order it with no chance of return. The weight alone may cause the under structure to fall according to a structural engineer. Have you ever looked under the boardwalk? The concrete and rebar are rusted from the saltwater. Councilmen do not want the extra expense of ipe but the mayor is a clone of the old mayor.

I've never been to a town meeting though we are fed up with the ever rising dunes in front of our view of the water so I should probably get involved. I did hear that they were going to replace a block of the boardwalk but I didn't know they were debating using ipe. I had heard they replaced a few boards with some domestic hardwood as a test. The last time I was on the boardwalk section of the beach I noticed exposed rebar under the walkway. They should spend their money fixing that and let you and me and OC Powerwashing restore the rest ;-)

Ken,

Is it safe? Exposed rebar!.. yikes..

My bro could have died when a wood tressle broke underneith him when we were kids. He was carry cases of beer across a concrete spillway during a mountain fishing trip and fell off something like 15' to the crete below. If he fell one side he would of landed right on rebar spikes. As it was he was all messed up with broken arm, collar bone, teeth, etc.. My dad and uncle both broke their backs as well jumping down to him and all three went to hospital that day. Hearing of this boardwalk gives me the heebie geebies to no end!

Well, it goes without saying I am not qualified to judge how safe it is but the boardwalk is 80+ years old. I'm guessing a million pairs of feet cross it every year. Here is a pic I found on the net (of the actual Ocean City boardwalk). What I saw was not this bad.

OC_Boardwalk_Understructure2.jpg

You tell me.