Sign in to follow this  
Tronman

Log Cabin staining

Question

Just finishing up on a log cabin. We used thier "Wood Gaurd" "Honey" on the inside and our Gray-a-way Gold and Brown mix on the exterior. We used 40 gallons on the inside and another 40 on the outside. We still have the detatched garage to do and some more trim. We are doing that on the ground.

post-1113-137772189443_thumb.jpg

post-1113-137772189447_thumb.jpg

post-1113-137772189458_thumb.jpg

9 answers to this question

The owner showed up every day at 4:30 to see the progress... I like the exterior color better than the interior honey color. The Wood gaurd product was difficult to use. I burned up two sureflo pumps and a 2 gal hand sprayer before I thinned the stain enough to use. The wood gaurd took several days to dry and even after a week there were still drip areas that were still wet. I didn't have to thin my stain at all and it dried within a couple of hours.

We sprayed everything and had 2-4 guys brushing and pading behind me. I have never sprayed stain without using a pad to insure the stain is uniform. The ceiling was a real treat... We did not do a lot of prep as it was new construction and all of the floors were going to have treatments. We did of course wet all of the concrete with water and then covered it with plastic and then put water on top of it.

Even though the stain was oil based the odor was not that bad. We had adequate ventilation. But you get that wood gaurd in your eye and you better have a bottle of water nearby.

The cabin logs were not "chinked" (caulked) until after we stained it. The builder was trying to get us to cut off the tar paper between the logs that had oozed or stuck out. Without more money it did not happen...

Interesting the builder had you use the Woodguard inside. It must have been the stain that was shipped with a package, and he was trying to get some use out of it without wasting it.

As far as I know, Woodguard was not ever designed for inside use, hence the lack of drying. It's still not "dry" ya know, it just penetrates until you can't feel anything on the surface. I wonder how it will do for cleanup in the future, though?

You're right about the WG in the eyes, don't you hate that? Got so I didn't even want to spray it with a Deckster, the little bit of overspray was murder...

I stopped using it altogether about 3-4 years ago when my maintenance showed it would never last the 5-8 years or even close even with their application procedures. Does look pretty when it first goes on, though.

Also, hope you read the fine print on the bucket and didn't use any acidic cleaners anywhere near it, or it will turn black in the next 45 days or so....

Looks great!

Rich,

What then on interior log... waterbased acrylics, poly? I lost a job recently due partly to unwillingness to make a bid simple by not discussing the use of interior stain versus exterior. It was like as soon as I mentioned having to use more then one product besides the exterior product the client became disinterested. No way I'm putting an oil inside not specific for interiors. Nice way to kill people with fumes.

Also, what are your general thoughts on the Permachink line?