Sign in to follow this  
timhays

Annual Sales

Question

looking for average annual sales figures on pressure washing service related only,and number of employees to obtain those figures.

looking for companies in these brackets

thank you for any info.

75 answers to this question

i wasnt nessecarilly looking for companies over the 500k bracket.

my main curiousity is the companies in the brackets listed above and manpower needed to generate those sales.

one reason for the question is to find out whos who,and the other to judge our companies position in the market place.

i have outlined new strategies and quotas for the upcoming year and i would like to see what everyone else is doing realisticly.

for example i have streamlined our proccesses to a point that mathematically it is possible do 250k in annual sales with me and one other guy, i would like to know how this compares to other companies in the industry.

the poll only shows an anonymous annual sales figure. it is not educational except to show what an anonymous voter makes. people dont want to know what xyz company makes they want to know who is managing there company to the fullest and how much room is left to improve upon.

i think if anyone were to look around there own company they might be able to find somethings to streamline there processes.

your annual sales figures coupled with manpower shows industry averages and great company managers. i dont understand how this is sensitive.

We did really well last year at right under $100K net sales. That was our first year with minimal advertising and marketing. I had two donkies both part time, to do that. This year we are expanding and growing so we have projected doubling net sales figures from last year, and by 2006 our net sales should peak around $500K. We are planning three labor crews, two for prep and one finish crew. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Aaron

my first year in this business i did $40,000 in sales,it was shocking because it felt like i made more,our second year with help we did over 150k and it seemed like we were sitting at home 2 weeks a month,i am hoping to reach the 200k mark this year but we are off to a bad start jan sales 8k.

the nice thing for mr about this is the better half makes around 250 ayear and does not want me to work as hard as did in the oilfield it was great money got to see the world russia,asia brazil ...etc now i home everyday and night and she loves it

frye

Tim,

Everyone says they need to make $100 an hour - shoot for the stars, and if you charge $100 for a job which turns out to take 1.50 hours (because you're a perfectionist) and the round trip was a half hour in travel time, you end up at a $50.00 sale. Suppose the rest of the week went the same, (you grossed $250.00) a good parttime job without benefits. You could fool yourself into thinking you make $100.00 an hour but most of us are tuned into 40 hour jobs. We think in terms of the take home pay, the health insurance and the retirement benefits. How many guys are getting filthy rich from this business? If that were the case you wouldn't see the people dropping out and selling their rigs at this time of year, these are the guys who finally heeded their wives, "If you don't get a real job we'll all end up on the street."

Ernie,i agree with your logic,which brings up a good point i am trying to find the answer to,from what i am starting to see to get the steady work and work year round 100 per hour per man and machine is too much to charge for the bigger accounts who provide 10k-40k a year in work.

i use to think the guys washing houses for 50 dollars less than me were lowballers,but i have come to find out by increasing our efficiency and matching there prices provide much more revenue than our previous strategy,

as for travel time when you are doing 6-10 jobs a day and gross $1000 i dont think it matters,but if you take you time to travel from job to job and spend more time on a job than is neccessary,and you only do 2-3 jobs a day,coupled with wanting to only work 9-5 than that certainly looks unprofitable at $100 hour.

Ron we all know you make the big bucks. BOW DOWN TO THE KING.

Ernie,any business is tough and this business tougher because of seasonal demand. i would like to know how many people are getting filthy rich in this industry as well.

i have personally struggled the last two years myself comparing what i make to what my friends make who have jobs,and sometimes there deal looks better(that is the short term vision speaking)

i also know of a local company who makes $80,000 a month one one division and they have 2 divisions ps this 80k is done on friday and saturday only 4 times a mo. there is a future for anyone who can survive the storm in this industry (this is the long term vision speaking)

Tim,

What is the company doing to make 10K a weekend? What I have learned in my ten years of business is when it comes to money earned I don't believe all I hear/read. Many of the guys who work a few hours I have seen, tend to extrapolate their income. So if they work 4 hours each week they claim to make, let's say $50.00 per hour. As if they were working 40 hours, therefore they "feel" they earn $2000 per week. My point is that when you see many contractors out and about they don't have the look of flushed success, but they talk a great game. I guess what I'm trying to say is nobody likes to admit their career mishaps and this type of business attracts a lot of fishermen.

Your right, this is a rather sensitive topic. Just a suggestion, if your going to post a poll like this don't you think it would be fair to be the first company posting your info??

My answer is, I make enough to pay my bills have a good life and buy toys when I want. Like my boat and guns. Other than that? alot of the money goes to my guys and the IRS of course. I'm really not trying to get rich even though I know that I could break that 500,000 mark. I just don't need to so why work harder than I have to just to give the irs more money for them to waste?

My guys make plenty of money to pay their bills, they love their jobs and benifits and can buy their toys if they want. What else do you need?

Honestly, I think this poll is something that alot of guys are going to use to measure themselves up to other companies and people. I don't see what other good it may do than inflate egos. Anything you do you can make millions of dollars doing, the question is. How much do you want to work? How long do you want to put your family and other things 2nd to the company?

I know plenty of guys that are kicking butt just to save money so they can retire and enjoy the good life when their 65. I'd rather enjoy life now when I can actually walk around and do it. My father for example is 67 and still working every day mainly becouse he always wanted more than what he had. When is it ever enough? I've got a real nice house, A vehicle to drive, A wife and my kids, and enough money to buy or do what I want.

Thats all I need.

Hank

Henry thats all that matters,to some,if that were Donald Trump's goals he could have retired at 32,but at 50 something he still shows up everyday to make millions.

i was the first to post our info reread the posts,i also said our goals this year to do 250k with me and one other guy,my question was to see how many other companies are or can do this? i am wondering if we should patent are processes?,or sale how to videos and make hundreds of thousands?. its a simple question really.

the fisherman issue is my point exactly because what we are learning the hard way isnt what most people are saying to be true,

my biggest gripe in this industry(well probably most as far as thats concerned) is everyone wants to drive a $40,000 vehicle and try to make a living with a $900 piece of equipment(this shows you care more about yourself than your customer) please tell me how you are looking out for your customers well being with this philosophy.

Ernie, the other company's info is proprietary so i cant discuss it any further but they do have 15 men.

and that is 20k for sat and sun only.

believe it because i dont lie.

Henry when you make money,example profit,you reinvest the money into your business, to create more value for your customers and become more competitive for your competitors and invest in tax depreciative investments,401k,increase your overhead ie new 400k house for home office,you dont stop working because you dont want to pay uncle sam.

define what you think is plenty of money.

because i feel like i am broke,even though those 2-$500 bottles of Crystal champagne at the Masters in Myrtle Beach last weekend didnt help me out any.

ps i feel bad for the big time developer in myrtle beach(i forget his name he lived in some expensive side of town,was featured on tv,and had a nice Hummer) the 4 girls he was with went home with me and my friend.:D

Here are some things I consider key elements to follow for a successful 1 person show.

- Don't chase the $100 jobs - it costs more than what you will make. If you want to do this, make sure it's built into your business plan as your learning curve and you have money backing you.

- Look for the longer length/term jobs - repeat customers, add-on sales, maintenance contracts. (Spend less time estimating & more working.) Look for 1 full day job vs. (4) 2 hour jobs; (1) week long job vs. (5) 1-day jobs; etc., etc.

- Look for a niche or type of work that others may not be willing to take on - it pays better.

- Diversify some, but don't lose sight of your expertise or core business. Diversify into areas so when it's raining, you can still work; when it's snowing, you can still work; (if you need to) etc., etc.

- Work hard to keep your good customers - they will always bring work your way and it reduces your marketing costs. This means you always have to pay attention to details when you do the work. Oh, and don't forget to dump your lousy customers - send them to your competition.

- There are more, but I hope you get the picture of the direction I'm heading.

As for the math, if you can AVERAGE $600 per day, 5 days a week, 8 months a year, you can gross $103,200 for 1 person. In order to do this, you will most likely have to work an average of 6 days a week (5 days to work and 1 day for estimating). In otherwords, you are working 204 days out of 365 days in a year. If you take 35% away for yourself (gross income) that's $36,120 before taxes.

Look to see how you can raise that $600 per day average to $1000 per day (over the 8 month period of time) and now you've increased your gross to $172,000.

Adding a second person can and should reduce your actual work time by 35% or roughly 71 days a year or about 2 days a week. (More is better - if it's less, you most likely need to find a different employee or FIRE YOURSELF.)

If you spend 1 of these 2 day a week selling/estimating and can keep your employee busy all 71 days (with minimal supervision) you should be able to average at least another $500-600 per day (or $35K-$42K per year). This will allow you to jump into the $200,000+ arena.

Of course, if your split with your company is better than 35%, then your numbers will look even better.

I think Henry hit the nail with the head of the hammer, I am a simply person that killed myself last year to make a few bucks, I have since learned that if I work with better accounts, with less man power, I will come out ahead. Basicly more profitable.

This poses a question how? Every person that posted said how, the plan is the key for it to work.

Becareful, the tax man is watching!

Matt