Sign in to follow this  
john111

Dry Ice Blasting.....

Question

Hi everyone. I am an engineering student. I read something called dry ice blasting while browsing net. Well I don’t know why, but I am curious to know about it. I know about traditional labor intensive methods like scrapers, wire brushes, sand blasting and pressure washing. I know dry ice is basically solid form of CO2, but I have no clue about this dry ice blasting.

Can somebody throw some light on this or at least suggest some site where I can find some info on this.

John

9 answers to this question

What exactly is dry ice?

Basically carbon dioxide in its solid form (frozen at -109.3 ° F or -79.5°)

Don't think that by being solid it might melt, it doesn't. It goes straight from its solid form back to gas which is called sublimation.

What's it used for?

A variety of things:as a refrigerant to ship perishable foods such as ice cream, meat, etc in entertainment for special effects such as fog; cryogenics; domestic cleaning products

check in this site for getting more information john

Websites on dry ice: How dry ice works Dry Ice Directory Video clips: Dry Ice Effect On Stage

This user created 2 accounts to post their wares and from all the posts we have had to remove, this is the only one we found that contained any useful information.

It stands as a quote only as the accounts have been disallowed.

Rod!~

Coincidence has it that the Modern Marvels episode on cryogentics was on History channel tonight and there is a segment on this mixed in among other topics of why they freeze things. Said something like 50-80% of all dry ice is used in dry ice blasting. Showed them doing brick wall, some wood structures, and removing tar from roof tiles worth 10k each at some historical building.

The thing not mentioned in site link above that has me so interested this past year or so is that it is being used for cleaning very delicate items besides the industrial type items. Apparently some types of dry ice blasting machines are either made or are adjustable down to a fog to be able to do very delicate work. They showed it cleaning an old book in a library. Not sure how fine the line between being able to freeze and then blow particles of grime (that the term they used) away without doing same to the particles of a delicate old book but that's what they were doing without harming the book. Supposed to work due to the softness of the ice as it goes through the sublimation back to gas....Truly shocking results this process can deliver!

Dry Ice Blasting is going to get even more popular as time goes on. I went to a dry ice blasting demonstration and actually got to use the equipment to clean oil and grease off a metal flywheel. It was amazing how quickly it took the grease off down to bare metal without causing to much of a mess. The demonstration was hosted by Sunbelt rentals and I believe they will be offering the equipment as a rental soon if not already.

The main problem is the expense, because of the cost of the dry ice and the equipment is really expensive retail. It will be interesting to see what jobs open up for this type of equipment.

Yep, there's all kinds of neato niche markets you can get into...

If you got big bucks sitting around that is not required for income return on investment for some period of time...

Dump a bunch of bucks into equipment as you start with a biz plan for promotion and hope you can get noticed before someone else does... It's all a risk.

I'm getting more concerned about fuel costs affecting the price of everything dramatically by the end of this year.

"everything" does seem logical don't it at this point....but I did here an explaination recently that attempted to make sense of how inflation isn't in order. All I know is I not sure what to buy or be scared of these days really and that if it all goes to hell in a hand basket we're going to be needing that dry ice for other things. We all know the saying of putting it on dry ice.. :)

Hi all,

New to this site, I've just gotten into the online communities recently - addicting...lol

Anyways, I own a DIB company (short for Dry Ice Blasting) for just over a year now. If anyone has any questions about DIB please let me know, happy to help/answer questions in any way!

I'm just adding PW'ing to my business as well, so I'll be hanging out often asking silly questions...

mike