Sign in to follow this  
Ed Reedy

hiring employee

I need to hire full time employee for the first time. We do window cleaning up to 32 foot ladder work. Most of the work is 20-24ft ladders with some 32ft ladder. We are in the suburbs of Chicago any idea for a good starting rate of pay? We also do power washing and interior gutter cleaning. It will be over 40 hours in the summers.

Thanks,

Ed

All I have to say is don't start them too high, Because there speed and quality may not be as good a month from now as it was the first trial week. And it is hard to try to drop the pay rate, it don't work.

And also don't let them by with things the first week just because they are new, If you let them do it the first week don't expect to change them a month from now and say " I didn't say anything at first because you were new and didn't want you to feel like I was down your neck".

Come up with some work codes before he is hired and give to him, it don't have to be anything fancy but let him know what you expect out of him, what is alowed and what ain't.

Fully agree on dont start to high. Most of the guys I hire I used to start out paying above average. Within a month or so they were useless bums and fired as the result because when I would correct them and ride them a bit they would always say I was to hard and to cut them a break, well I just cut them loose.

I guess I am bad, but I ride them really hard and give the worst jobs I can come up with the first week or two, sometimes even up to the first three months. If they make it that far, they are usually good for about two years, until they figure out that I really am crazy.

I guess I am bad, but I ride them really hard and give the worst jobs I can come up with the first week or two, sometimes even up to the first three months. If they make it that far, they are usually good for about two years, until they figure out that I really am crazy.

I figured that out the 1st time I talked to you.....lol.

This has been an on-going issue with me as i have been on both ends of the spectrum commission/piece as well as hourly prefer hourly BIG TIME!

Another thing to consider...is im not crazy about starting them off high in pay it leaves you no room for raises whether your on hourly or comm.

Personally..15.00 an hour is way too much to start off (at least for my little company) especially with no experience, plus...as already mentioned when you have to correct things(mention technique,basic how to,etc.) and they can't take corrective criticism then...there already getting too big for there britches!

I just had that problem with a guy i had for 3 1/2 years got alittle too cocky had to fire him! He thought he was the hottest thing since sliced bread.He was good but...not that good!