Sign in to follow this  
copgib

Hose Replacement

I can't seem to find this information, so I will ask. When do you decide to replace your high pressure hoses? I can not image waiting till one burst. Also what do you guys do with the old hoses? I will probably replace my hoses within the next few months and leave the old one for an emergency backup since they are getting some cuts in them and beat up pretty bad. Thanks Hugh

There are some who believe it is best to do it annually. The recommendation comes from the basis of doing a great deal of flatwork or work where your hoses are drawn over rough surfaces frequently.

For those who do residential work, there may not be as much wear and tear due to the softer surfaces such as grass and loose dirt comparatively and should be replaced every 24-36 months of use.

Seasonal businesses have a better duration due to several months of idle time so actual time is considered. Myself, our hoses last about 2 years before having a hose burst and requiring repairs...but get this, I had one burst after only 6 weeks. So, quality is another factor to consider as well.

1 wire vs 2 wire I don't think is as relevant in scheduling replacement vs the hose jacket wear and the particulars in using hot water is concerned. I find that frequent hot water use and temps above 150* shorten a hoses life by about 20%. I have come to this determination by comparing the life of my cold water unit hoses vs the hot water unit hoses. My theory is that while hot water is running through the hose, it softens the hose jacket making it more susceptible to damage from abrasion, kinking damage which affects the inner sections including the wire braiding leading to hose failure and puncture from sharp objects.

I am aware others observations may not completely agree with mine but for the basis of answering your question on planning when to replace hoses, these factors should be kept in mind.

Average hoselife = 1-2 years of regular use using cold water and residential settings.

8 to 18 months in commercial applications and that is considering as well the use of hot water.

Apply this to your wash profile and see where it puts you.

Rod!~

ps, Ron has a cool idea of video replying. It could very well be the next generation of bbs's. Some may also call it video blogging or whatever but, I think it adds a missing component to communications that is not available through text alone.

I wait until they burst and then change it out onsite. Depending on the hose, I may get it fixed or toss it for good.

My hose ends are the first to go. I also drive down the wash area with hose on the ground, so 150-200 feet is a lot of weight to drag and makes them the reel end fail a bit early. I go slow to avoid excess friction, so my braids are not showing on the first day.

I use swivels at the gun, and wrap the hose on the trailer a bit so the swivel does not get weight load by dragging.

I can not imagine throwing a hose away or letting it sit just for the sake of knowing I have a newer hose on the reel.

I use them till they burst. By using a flow-type unloader, they don't go "crazy" when it happens. In addition to factors mentioned above, downstreaming 12.5% probably affects the inner coating that Ron mentioned, which would eat at the wire. I downstream hot, 12.5%, so my hoses tend to last about a year. Sometimes the cheap hoses last and last, sometimes the expensive ones don't. I buy on price.

G'day

I've just bought a long hose and reel and will swap the hose end to end to get longer life (as it is wearing at the nozzle end much more than the reel end). Do it before the steel braiding shows (and how do you know when this is? about a month before the steel shows LOL!!!!)

G'day

I've just bought a long hose and reel and will swap the hose end to end to get longer life (as it is wearing at the nozzle end much more than the reel end). Do it before the steel braiding shows (and how do you know when this is? about a month before the steel shows LOL!!!!)

I hate to tell you that fleet guys the steel can show in a few week depending if they have alot of gravel yards with garbage trucks and dumps.

The outer case is a cosmetic deal more than anything. the steel holds the pressure and the inner case holds the water. if the inner case ruptures the water will blow the hose. outer case i bets psi rating is hardly nothing.

For those who do residential work, there may not be as much wear and tear due to the softer surfaces such as grass and loose dirt comparatively and should be replaced every 24-36 months of use.

This is so true, its going to depend on the eviroment your subject too.

I believe that gravel yards and lots have to be the worse place you can wash.

imagine sand paper of grinding the hose daily.

01-15-08_1323.jpg

Today we change this before we expericenced down time in the fiield.

I guess i dont wait for my tires to blow either, I change them ater 50% and i like not having breakdowns.

Its just and opiionion , so dont take it offensive guys please.

If i didnt have a press i might let them go longer also.

Today we change this before we expericenced down time in the fiield.

I guess i dont wait for my tires to blow either, I change them ater 50% and i like not having breakdowns.

Its just and opiionion , so dont take it offensive guys please.

If i didnt have a press i might let them go longer also.

what would a press like that cost? and the new fittings? i would love to have one, but i am sure it is costly.

as of now, we will fix a hose twice before tossing and replacing.

i have seen the 'in the field' repair kits also. anyone using these?

we do 80% or more residential work, but go through two to three hoses per machine a year. seems above average per the comments here, but we baby them as much as can be babied.

We change the hose when it breaks. I have used the in-the-field repair kits and they don't last very long. Our residential/new construction rig gets about a month before we need to replace hoses. The short life span is due to hoses constantly being pulled on dry concrete driveways, patios, etc.

Our commercial flatwork rig can get up to 6-8 months before replacing hoses. The asphalt is a much softer surface and doesnt have so much friction on the hoses. Also, most of the time the concrete is wet when they are being drug on them.

Rule of thumb is..if ya feel a big bulg or yer thumb starts to bleed when running hand along hose during rewinding it is time for a bandaide. LOL :)

..but hot water tends to more easily soften and blow a weak area at a cut or connection point.

Don't know how much.. I just see the machine and fittings laying around while doing their floors.

I used to have a guy at Landa just give me tips or repair hose for like $5 but he gone now and I haven't had anything actually bust for awhile.

Do need to ask what they charge as I need to have all new whips and heater hoses done up. The hydraulic hoses they got should be perfect being they such high pressure.