Sign in to follow this  
newlook

"Economic Recession" vs. Recession

Question

Was crusing the money market t.v. channel's today inbetween football games. Several programs were talking about the current economy and coined the phrase "we are in a economic recession" vs a recession. After hearing this several times I asked myself what the h**** is the difference between a "economic recession" vs a plain good 'ole fashion recession?

Is there a difference? Are we in a recession folks?

4 answers to this question

recession

Pronunciation:

\ri-ˈse-shən\

Function:

noun

Date:

circa 1652

1 : the act or action of receding : withdrawal

2 : a departing procession (as of clergy and choir at the end of a church service)

3 : a period of reduced economic activity

— re·ces·sion·ary Listen to the pronunciation of recessionary \-shə-ˌner-ē\ adjective

Dictionary and Thesaurus - Merriam-Webster Online

Seems straightforward to me.

I don't know the diff here,but I did hear the diff between a resession and a depression.A recession is when your neighbor loses their job, A depression is when you lose your job.

Depression

Main Entry:

de·pres·sion

Pronunciation:

\di-ˈpre-shən, dē-\

Function:

noun

Date:

14th century

1 a: the angular distance of a celestial object below the horizon b: the size of an angle of depression

2: an act of depressing or a state of being depressed: as a: a pressing down : lowering b (1): a state of feeling sad : dejection (2): a psychoneurotic or psychotic disorder marked especially by sadness, inactivity, difficulty in thinking and concentration, a significant increase or decrease in appetite and time spent sleeping, feelings of dejection and hopelessness, and sometimes suicidal tendencies c (1): a reduction in activity, amount, quality, or force (2): a lowering of vitality or functional activity

3: a depressed place or part : hollow

4: low 1b

5: a period of low general economic activity marked especially by rising levels of unemployment