Sign in to follow this  
JBenson

Can anyone solve this?

Question

If I can find the answer to this puzzle I will get 5 extra bonus points on my Chemistry exam. The professor said the answer is not 1. Do you guys have any idea.

My freshman class in college was over a 1000 students; in fact it was 1058. And half of them were smart enough to advance beyond first-semester calculus. So that whole group of kids was then allowed to enroll in Calculus 2. Each of those sections of advanced calculus had the same number of students. How many sections were there?

Seems like not enough information, right? But there is.

7 answers to this question

I say the answer is 2. The problem says half of the kids passed so all of the class was able to go to Calculus 2. I take that to mean all 1058 were passed. 1058 can only be divided evenly by 2. Just a SWAG on my part.

I read question as meaning half of the 1058 advanced.

1058/2=529

Now for to be equal students in sections/classes..

23 student x 23 sections=529 tot students...answer would be 23 sections.

I second that, 23 sections. What does a 7th grade math problem have anything to do with college chemistry?

Technically the answer could be any set up numbers above 1 given that the groups were the same. However, since this is a human problem, 23 is the only denominator or divisor for 529 that results in a whole number. Aka equal groups of full bodied students (cant have half students)

Doesn't have anything to do with square roots though unless it specified the number of students in each section was also equivalent to the number of sections. Just happens to work out as a square root.