Sign in to follow this  
CLASSICPW

oil based sealers/stains off the skin

Question

I primarily use Readyseal and was just curious what tips people have about removing it from your skin after finishing the job. I was using waterless hand cleaner, sometimes mineral spirits, but that stuff is so bad for your skin(and your health) What's are your tips on the quick fix, I hate the sticky steering wheel syndrome!

Also, I use a backpack sprayer and something in my truck shifted and hid the button on the wand dumping 2 gallons of cedar in my truck bed which dumped on the ashpalt in the street. It looks terrible and since it's cold here I haven't taken care of it yet. I'm planning on stripping it and hot water.

9 answers to this question

I dont think there is a way to remove the stain from asphalt without leaving a similar mark there. I have tried with stripper, goof off, hot water, soap and nothing worked for me but if you find something that works well please let us know.

As far as removing stain from skin, I know I dont have the best answer but I will tell you what I do. I use soap, hot water and a green scruffy pad. I think I actually remove a layer of skin and that takes it off.

Jamie,

Keep Fast Orange (has grit) on the truck and basic hand cleaner. When you are "sticky" and are packing up, wash your arms and legs (if in shorts) and face with fast orange and then follow with the regular soft soap.

For hair - if it is a sealer that makes your hair sticky, when you shower let the shampoo sit for a few minutes before you rinse. Same with a liberal amount of conditioner. Then repeat the lather and rinse. The conditioner helps to soften up any residual sealer. Same for the dwell time on the initial shampoo. Helps to get it to detach from the hair shaft.

Avoid washing with mineral spirits. It's NOT healthy at all.

Beth

Jamie,

We also use a lot of Ready Seal. On every job we have a couple of spray bottles of Simple Green for cleanup of errant stain. Spray a bit on a paper towel and wipe off your hands. May not be the best thing for skin but it works.

I've been wiping myself with mineral spirits on a paper towel. I haven't found a great solution for stain in the hair. I just shampoo, rinse, repeat. That seems to get 95% of it.

wear gloves, they're cheap. If I'm spraying, I'll cover up just about everything so I won't get stain all over me. I'd rather have dirty clothes than to spend an extra 1/2 hour trying rip the stain off my leg/arm hairs. A good pumice soap works the best.