Sign in to follow this  
A and J POWERWASHING

deck cleaning

Question

15 answers to this question

Cleaning and stripping are two different animals altogether.

For basic cleaning we like percarbonates.

For stripping, depends on what's being removed, but a basic oil needs a sodium hydroxide based stripper, such as HD-80, Timber Strip Pro, or F-18.

Just my .02...

Beth

p.s. All of the above require neutralization....never skip it, and always rinse afterwards.

Surely the Dwellers will step in next though just to rock the boat.. :)

Ok I'll be the first dweller to jump in, for me cleaning would be 4-1 hypo mix with some liquid soap, dwell for 15 mins, serious flush off and a citric acid wash after, about 30 mins dwell time.

For stripping Sodium Hydroxide, a little liquid soap dwell time will vary as to what you are stripping, followed by a citric acid wash again 30 mins dwell time. I know some don't like the Hypo but it works for me.

Have flun cleaning a super 'green' deck with just percarbs. I guess percarbs are the friendlier wood cleaner - but nothing kills like bleach - and on a neglected deck that is 7+ years old - you are taking off the top layer of wood anyways. Pool stores have an acid called Sodium Sulfate that neutralizes any bleach residue - and will 'brighten' the wood as well.

BDA all the way!! Once you learn the way's of the Bleach Dweller's Association (BDA) there's no looking back. I use Pcarbs as a back up or for a Wookie (Wood rookie).

I don't know what hydroxide you guys are using - but hydroxide never touches really green algae growth. I've tried those hydroxide based house cleaners on vinyl siding - and didn't do a darn thing either. It works great for just greyed wood - but I haven't seen it do anything to any growth on the wood.

I have used Solid Strip for both. I haven't found much it would't strip. For the cost it is great and it doesn't cause burns or any noticable irritation. I don't do much that requires chemical stripping, but of the products I have tried,this seems to be the best. I'll have to give the others a go if the need arises again.