Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy M

honda wont start

I have a honda GX 390 that is probably 14 years old . I have never had a problem with it until the other day when it started spitting and cracking and would catch back up if I let off the wand. Now it has quit completely and will not start. It is getting plenty of fuel but is not getting any fire. does this engine have a control module or coil or both.I just use it around the house so I am trying to fix myself,any suggestions please.

I replaced the air filter today and it fired up and ran for a little while until it got hot and skipped a couple of times and cut off. I pulled spark plug out and checked to see if getting fire and nothing. Apparently it is losing fire after it warms up. coil?

I ordered the coil and replaced it,still no crank,I unplugged the green wire coming from lower portion of the block and it fired right up.I guess this is the low oil sensor.apparently bad, plugged back together and it kills the engine.The coil was cheap enough to try. I think i'll just keep a check on the oil and the heck with the sensor.

Could be such, or maybe there is some shorting issue...

Some engines that move around on machinery will sometime show a low oil situation by cutting out or partial stall during use before they go totally out in starting situations. I'll be darned if I can regonize where or how it works on my Onan though..never noticed a wire.

If that was what the wire is for in your situation chalk it up to luck that ya found out problem without taking to shop.

You should be able to plug it back in and all be fine once ya filled with oil. I wouldn't assume it is broke especially after it did it's job. Thank it by keeping it plugged in..