Sign in to follow this  
CLASSICPW

chlorine lung burns

Question

Here's a lesson to learn: We washed a produce warehouse room last month. It was full of mildew and was washed to be a "clean room" We x-jetted the room with chlorine....,ceilings, walls, floors. My helper and I did not wear any protection and we spent that night gasping for breath. We both suffered chlorine burns to our lungs. I didn't sleep that night because I had to sit upright and gasp for breath for about 8 hours. I finally can breath again normal, but i should have been in the hospital sucking oxygen. PLEASE LEARN FROM MY STUPID MISTAKE!!!!!!. I could have and may have done permanent damage to my lungs. From now on I will always wear a respirator on house washes and these types of jobs. That night that I couldn't breath I was so scared that i almost cried. It was ver uncool!!

10 answers to this question

Been there done that Jamie.It's like sunburn on the inside and takes at least 4 to 6 weeks to get over.

Look into a moldex respirator they are suprisingly low cost and super effective.

I've never gone that far under the chlorine gas bomb, but some situations pretty close to that. These days I always where my repirator when working in enclosed areas such as screen porchs or pool enclosures. Only about 50% of the time on house washes in the open air though. I guess I need to tighten up on that.

Repirators are definitly needed in a situation like that but also you need proper ventilation such as explosion proof fans even if its a distance you can sset it up with that collapsable duct and have it sucking air out one end and another fan blowing fresh air in. There are a few different way to do it you can even use air driven air horns. There things you can read up on about working in confined spaces, many will talk about working in tanks etc but its pretty much the same about restricted rooms. I hope you are feeling better, that would be very scary. I have worked in a ton of confined spaces when I was in the Steel Painter Union, but we 95% of the time had all the proper equipment

That happened to Rod once years and years ago. He spiked a fever from it and infection set in. Ended up needing antibiotics to kill the infection in the respiratory tract. Wear your respirator!!!!

Beth :cup:

One more note on respirators: make sure you are using the proper filters on them, or your still going to get the damage. Particulate filters are not going to stop the fumes and chemicals from entering your respiratory system. Those are the ones that usually come with them when you buy them. We use organic gas / acid filters almost exclusively (olive green color). Check with your respirator manufacturer for the proper filter.

I learned the hard way washing the walls of a moldy basement. We had two fans trying to exhaust air, but it was not enough ventilation. I had the wrong type of cartridges on my respirator. It was difficult to breath for a few days. That night when I got home, My eyes were burning so bad it hurt to keep them open. Actually had to get prescription eyedrops.

That happened to Rod once years and years ago. He spiked a fever from it and infection set in. Ended up needing antibiotics to kill the infection in the respiratory tract. Wear your respirator!!!!

Beth :cup:

That's what put me in the hospital with pneumonia two years ago...spent a couple hours spraying a roof (12v shurflo and BIG roof) on a hot day, breathed a lot of vaporized chlorine, within a couple hours felt like I had the flu, two days later I was coughing up blood. Spent 5 days in the hospital getting antibiotics and heart tests (because of the pleuresy-related chest pain). Even now, two years later, I can sometimes feel the effects.