Sign in to follow this  
MudDuck

Shipping Question

Question

I ordered some chem's ( 2 sample packs =12 lbs ) and a M5 x jet from Pressure Tk and they sent it in two different packages and then sent one with UPS and the other with Fed Ex. Leaving me with a 28.00 shipping cost on 185.00 order. (plus I didn't know what the shipping was to be until after it was sent, ordered online ) My question is are these companys getting some sort of kick back or discount from the carriers for volume? I live in a very rural area and have to pay extra for them to come out here therfore leaving me paying full boat min. to two different companys. I've asked the company and waiting for a reply but does this make sense to anyone? I'm pretty tick about the shipping being that high, is this normal?

12 answers to this question

Shipping costs are a necessary evil. How much would it cost you to go pick those items up? There's many possibilities why they sent two different carriers; one package was chems, one was not; different locations of the purchased items; and so-on. You can usually find a shipping cost calculator on most web based stores, and if in question ask the cost before buying.

IMO, $28 isn't bad for s&h on 2 packages.

I don't think Bob would try to pull a fast one on a customer over shipping costs.

He and Russ Johnson are the best distributors I have ever dealt with.

p.s. please fill in a signature.

As has been said, 2 different shipping locations, 2 different carriers. Shipping is calculated by the weight of the package and distance shipped. Plus extra for residential delivery, remote locations, and a fuel surcharge. I think residential delivery adds about $4 - $4.75 per package. I'm not sure what the fuel surcharge is for FedEx and UPS, but I know on truck freight it's 25%. I had some chems come in the other day...freight was nearly $500, close to $100 of that was a fuel surcharge.

I spoke with him this morning to find out what the ship charge would be and (before realizing they had been sent with diff carriers) and he said they were shipped from there on Monday. I'm not saying he's pulling a fast one I just don't know why you would ship two diff carriers unless I was getting direct shipped from his supplyer at two diff locations which I'm not. I e mailed him about it and waiting on a reply. I'm just ticked because I obviously have paid the second company that has the x jet another full min size / weight cost plus the extra rural charge ( he said it was 6.00 when I questioned the 28.00) which isn't much, but it is almost 20% of the shipping cost which is alot. It's not so much the amount as it is the buisness sense and just want to make sure I'm not paying twice or to the tune of 20% more than I need to. I've never order from them before and he seemed like a nice guy. I'm glad to hear someone say he's a stand up guy and biz. I am just a little shocked that what little I ordered had a 15% shipping cost and think if they had been shipped via a single carrier it would have been less. Just pinching penny's I guess but I wanted to throw this out there to make sure there isn't some sort of shipping scam (for lack of a better word) in the industry that I needed to be aware of.

as squirt mentined bob and russ are your two best and most trusted vendors that i know of. i realize that you're not bashing bob but just concerned about your shipping costs. if the shipping costs are a bit high i'm sure that there is a logical explanation. the more you deal with bob and russ you'll find out just how valuable they are to your business.

good luck,

rando

I had the same thing happen. Some of what I ordered was in stock and some was drop shipped.

If timing isn't critical (if you can wait one extra day) then ask him to get the drop-shipped stuff sent to send one package.

One thing I do know is that only actual shipping is charged- no handling fees.

Bob will not treat you wrong on the shipping. I know he has a handling fee if the order is less than $30 or something like that, but anything over that I dont believe he makes anything on the shipping. He'll treat you right if there is an issue.

I found out that the x jet was drop shipped so that explains it. When we spoke the first time I believed him to have said that "both items were sent from here Monday" I wasn't trying to question his integrity I just was wanting some feed back from you guys as to is there some sort of game vender's play with the shipping. Because it didn't make sense to me to use two carriers because as someone else said there is a residential drop fee, a remote location fee and probably a fuel surcharge with EACH carrier. I was expecting around 20.00 not 30.00. Wasn't that much money in question it was the redundancy of the extra fee's.

Also as stated, what was the chemical classification. If it is hazardous material certain companies will not touch it for obvious reasons. Also factor in that if the x-jet had been shipped with the chems (higher rate) then it could have possibly cost more in the long run.

I work in a chemical manufacturing plant and see the high cost of shipping.

Anthony

Shipping is a cost everyone has to pay. Doesn't matter if you get it from a dealer a mile away from your house or mail order it 1000 miles from your house. With the price of fuel lately you have to expect it to be a little higher than several years back. Just charge each customer a few bucks extra to make up for it.

Enjoy the x-jet. It will make your jobs go much faster and a whole lot easier.

Rick