Sign in to follow this  
spbutton

Separate Insurance Providers?

hey folks

got a query... hope someone can shed some light.

I am going with General Liability and Trailer equipment coverage with Joe Walters, but I am looking at another provider for commercial auto for the truck.

Are there any potential problems having separate providers on the truck and trailer/equipment? If I was to be involved in an accident on the road or needed to make a claim would it be a headache dealing with 2 companies, or is it purely dependent on which item is damaged (truck or trailer)?

Does anyone else have separate providers, any feedback on how this works for you?

Regards

StevenB

Mine have always been seperate. Commercial auto on the truck covers the trailer when towing for accidents.

Inland marine on gen liability covers trailer and contents from theft, fire, etc.

I have separate. My trucks are under a commercial/residential auto policy with progressive, so if I am driving a personal vehicle for biz it is covered, the actual trailers are attached to that policy and my equipment in inland marine policy, all are pretty reasonable I think. I figure its all covered and if theres a problem thats between the insurance companies, not unlike any insurance claim

Just a quick note. Don't assume just because a trailer is attached to your commercial covered vehicle that your trailer is covered. I thought so too, until I was corrected by my agent.

Very true its a whole other charge and doesnt cost that much to add on. I have found in the past some insurance companies dont cover trailer or equipment. It was a large local company I couldnt get them to cover anything but the trucks W/C & GL, they would not cover trailer & equipment. I didnt even know that the 1st year or two in biz, didnt have to much to lose ten, I do now. I said bye bye to them. Dont assume the agent knows what they are talking about always either, double check and ask the right questions and look for it in writing in the policy