Sign in to follow this  
Able Hands

Trying to keep the peace!

Question

I don't normally resort to asking others about pricing but in this instance I feel I have to.

I recently power washed my brothers house, and two detached buildings.

House: 3000sf soffit ,fascia, and 22 windows only (it's all brick)

Building #1: 4000sf all vinyl, only one window.

Building #2: Approximately 800sf two story, all vinyl.

If I were to wash a standard ranch home, call it around 1500sf, I would charge between 150-200, depending on all of the variables. Given that (very basic) pricing what should I have charged to wash the three buildings.

I charged $500, and thought it was more than fair. If this was for a regular customer it would have been higher. What do you guys think. My brother thinks it was too much. The problem is that I need to do a maintenance coat on his deck soon, and I don't want to screw myself or more importantly him.

Matt

22 answers to this question

More than fair, I would have been in the $900 range for all of that.

Two questions:

Did you take my geographic pricing into account?

Would you have been in the 900 range for a family member?

Matt

Matt.. The best solution is to just not do it under premise of keeping relations. Family and business usually don't mix well when profits are in mind.

Problem here is that your machinery gets wear and tare that bro might not wish to account for and bro is perhaps having you do more area than would be considered just a little personal upkeep. He may not value your hourly wage/charge the same as you do..Some would view it that doing without profit would be unfair as what he is doing off yer labor is building his equity via your swet rather that his own. Some may not care for that if he is able bodied. He could go buy a cold washer and do his self with a little advice from you. Is he gonna give you part the equity since you did the swetting?

Honestly though if my relatives need me I'm there if my regular schedule and free time allowed. They would be helping if able and buying lunch and dinner besides the gas and chems.

That said I don't have relatives owning multiple outbuildings or what have you.

It is not mandatory to wear the hat of being in business with relatives. Just stick on the company hat that denotes charity/donations and say "hey Matt, yes you can put a little wear on the machinery for sake of family"..

I don't think it is written that profit is mandatory between blood. Same applies for usery during loaning them money.. :)

What's bro do for a living that he can "hook" you up on? Doe's he let you use that fancy new bass boat? What doe's he think would be reasonable? If he's like most "family" I know they want you to do things pretty much as a "favor", which is ok as long as they can do something for me later. Otherwise I just do it for whatever they think is reasonable or nothing but chem's. It's family, what can you say. Me, I never charge family or friends for my time, just cost and a big fat steak and beer. But I don't turn down a "tips" either, but you can't "expect" anything and I don't worry about it. Just get r done.

Like loaning money to family or friends, don't do it if you expect it back.

Sort of.

My brother runs a HVAC company. He allows me to store all of my large stationary tools in the 4000sf building and use it as a wood shop.

There is no expectation, from him, for me to do the work for free (or just materials). I do a lot of work for him and I try my best to make sure my prices are lower than normal or at the very least fair. The understanding has always been, "charge what you need to." He thinks the power washing was too high, I think, because he had a painter wash both of the out-buildings a couple of years ago for $200 (not including the house).

Again, I'm just trying to make sure that I'm not putting the screws to him. If I am even in the neighborhood of normal pricing then I need to drop it some. However I also can't afford to do this stuff for free.

Matt

I think you gave him a dirt cheap price. That is a sweet deal you have with the storage though. If it were any other residential customer the price would have been 900+. Although I do wash my mothers and mother inlaws houses each year for some fresh baked cookies. :winking: When I have to do the decks I get paid cost of material plus a little extra for my time.

Dirt cheap? Not really. How long did it take?

I would estimate about 3 hours work there. I'm not sure where $900.00 comes in. My brother who allows my to use his storage.

I would figure what storage would cost you, double it then reduce the price by that much. What did you spend in chems? $20.00 gas? $6.00-$7.00.

Even if you are 100% correct and he is 100% wrong is it worth $300.00 the difference between what he remembers paying when gas and chems were 30-40% cheaper?

The value of having a good relationship with your brother as they say " PRICELESS ".

Yea that's different. You mean you do a lot of work for him as a brother for what he does for you or do you do it as a business making money?. If all that work is business and as profitable as any other then you may owe bro major....

..just jiven ya but,

GET OFF THE TEET and realize what commercial space would run ya to answer the question if yer putting the screws to him... :)

I could never charge my brother for washing his house. I just wouldnt do it, he's my brother

A business building maybe a little but I would probably do that for free too, especially if I used his warehouse

I could never charge my brother for washing his house. I just wouldnt do it, he's my brother

A business building maybe a little but I would probably do that for free too, especially if I used his warehouse

ditto

I just recently washed my brothers house, driveway and back porch. I charged him $50 just to help off set my chemical and gas cost. When I wash my parents house I don't charge them anything, but my mom makes me take money anyway. Gotta love mom.

Two questions:

Did you take my geographic pricing into account?

Would you have been in the 900 range for a family member?

Matt

I should have been clearer.....that's the "retail" price. I normally figure 12 cents per sq. ft. of the floor plan of whatever building I'm doing....1000 sq. ft. house, $120 and so on. To a family member....that's a personal decision but I don't think you are out of line.

I also just washed my brothers house, back deck, and driveway. He helped me. He tried to pay me when it was done and i wouldn't let him. He happens to be my eye doc. Went to get some new sunglasses (prescription) and what do you know, he wouldn't let me pay him. Everyones family situation is different, so asking advice on a public forum probably isn't much help. But in my family we do what we can when we can. Things have a way of working out.

I would have done it for free too,but the ole brother would be right there beside me.I would have even paid for the gas and chems.If he wouldn't help mew then I would have charged him like any other customer.

Thanks for your opinions everyone.

For all of those that say I should have done the work for free, or at least that you would have... If I only did a job or two for him once in a while I would definitely do it for free. And if I were to do them for free I would simply fit him in on a weekend, when I don't typically schedule anything else. The problem is, he wants the work done "right now", and has no real interest in helping.

In just this year to give some perspective:

Run compressed air and water lines between the two out-buildings. (Charged less than half of normal because I use them too.)

Install door on back of large out building. (Minus $20/hr.)

Replace all rotten fascia on house. (Minus $20/hr.)

Replace 16' painted counter top with oak top, custom trim, and finish like glass. (Materials only because I wanted to make something extra nice for him.)

Build 14' work bench in smaller out building. (Materials only, he was going to help and then didn't.)

My point is, I do a lot of work for him, he always gets a good deal, I make a little money and normally we are both happy. This time he feels I over charged him. Maybe I did and I should drop $150 off the invoice.

Matt

Yea I'd drop it 150.00 and call it a day. You've got what 50.00 in materials and make 300.00 profit for your day's work. 300.00 for a day's work isn't bad ya know. Thats what the bro is probly thinking about. I bet he knows what your materials cost were and just doing the math, thinking his bro just hit him for 450.00 for a few hours "his time". But during the convo I'd reiderate to him that you normally make more than the 500 for that job and it wasn't a "weekend fit in". For the purpose of a low key'ed re-enforcement to him that you have a profitable biz too. Maybe he'll start considering that into his request for service in the future and at least back off on the "right now" aspect. Lay the seeds for the "you want it right now at my "inconvinance price" or the "discount price" for yours?"

Even given your location (close to me) and the family thing you are being generous. I know a lot of times family expects it for nothing and thats a personal choice but I establish boundaries. For instance I volunteered to have my son and I drive 6 hrs to help my brother grade, level and seed his front yard and within minutes he had us transplanting shrubbery and installing a paver walkway for him. (hes a desk jockey) I got real busy real quick. I think the old saying about giving them an inch and they will take a yard holds true mostly with family.

I have been known to drive Ga to Tn. to wash my Father in law home, deck or whatever else he might needed washing. Might have cost me some money but I know if I need anything, I can always count on them as well.

It always make me feel good when I donate my time and it is greatly appreciated. (big brownies points with the wife too!)

Don't let the one incident of perceived overcharge result in your not discounting or providing services. You do after all owe him at least your professional availabilty for use of the space..Just do work as you can fit it in and without effects to other customers or your bottom line.