Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Sullivan

Need Help With New Vehicle Decision!!!

Question

currently i have a 2002 F-150, a 2001 F-250, and a 2000 E-150 cargo van. I have had troubles with the 250 since we bought it last year, the 150 is not needed except to have an emergency truck to pull our trailer, and the van is ok except it is getting up there in mileage (82k) and it is a bit beat up.

so...

Running the scenarios, I am thinking of trading all three in an buying a new'ish E-350 cargo van and a little ranger (or something similar.) The van to pull the trailer or run solo with a couple of portable machines. The small truck to run estimates, pick up supplies, etc...

My question is this...can a E-350 pull a trailer and not ruin itself? I have heard both yes and no, but both can't give me any real reason for their answer.

I am vehicle knowledge challenged, so any help would help.

Thanks in advance,

27 answers to this question

Until very recently I have used a step van with a E-250 chassis beefed for Fed-Ex in 94.

With a straight six (fuel injected) I got a reliable 11 MPG unless the wind was blowing. I never had a problem pulling an 18' open flatbed with it. I really have no idea how heavy my whole shebang was but we'd slow once in a while.

It's for sale right now, as the fuel pump went out at the end of last year, and even though it doesn't owe us anything, we aren't going to spend any more on it.

Your E-350 is heavier than an F-350, I've been told, but drivetrains and suspensions are identical, so minus the extra weight, the payloads are nominally identical.

Vans are handy, but I'm glad I had the step-van body and built-in shelving.

Did I mention the thing is as ugly as home-made soap? All aluminum body means no rust, or paint, but looks pretty strange. These pics hardly do it justice.

The remaining sign comes off the day of sale!

Anybody?

Nobody...:lgtear:

post-1043-137772205957_thumb.jpg

post-1043-137772206001_thumb.jpg

I have an E-350 with a tow package with a Hundred 130k no problems. I pull a trailer and water. I traded a Ram Nightmare 150 for it. Put a tow package on it very important.

The new Tundra's (5.7) have been out for a while now, so how bout some numbers.

What kind of fuel mileage are you guys getting? Not what the onboard computer tells you but the ole pen & paper.

Very strong truck truck, I dont own any gas trucks but after riding in my friends I was very surprised at the power.

You can still get a good price on then. The 7.3L diesel has little to no problems an will go a million miles easy. A 350 or 450 I think is the way to go. Use the saved money and get it wrapped. As far as pulling I can pull 14k easy! and thats with 2k in the bed

Look into a sprinter van. The price is comparable to the van you are looking at but the cargo room and weight capabilities are much better. Plus, it can also tow a trailer with a tow package installed.

Food for thought...

Rod!~

Also, I am looking into the Tacoma versions for another truck with better mpg's. It is pricey in todays market but thinking about the return exchange in money saved on gas.

Payload and bed room are the biggest obstacles I see.

Rod!~

You want a Tundra....

A WHAT? Tonka toy?

What kind of payload can it pull, can it pull a 14,000 trailer with all equipment plus extras?

How about long uphill in 100 plus temp?

You need to consider the big picture when buying a truck, I would not think a Tundra can haul that kind of payload.

Brakes, heavy duty or standard brakes?

Dodge F250 or 350 diesel would be a good choice or the compatible Ford.

Biggest difference between Ford and Doge is mileage and power.

Still a diesel requires so much less service.

A WHAT? Tonka toy?

What kind of payload can it pull, can it pull a 14,000 trailer with all equipment plus extras?

How about long uphill in 100 plus temp?

You need to consider the big picture when buying a truck, I would not think a Tundra can haul that kind of payload.

Brakes, heavy duty or standard brakes?

Dodge F250 or 350 diesel would be a good choice or the compatible Ford.

Biggest difference between Ford and Doge is mileage and power.

Here is a post from the tundra bbs...I tow a bobcat,breaker,fork attchment and usually 600 punds worth of concrete on the back of my 5.7 trd ive gone to the scales to wight the whole truck and trailer came to 13,600 pounds pretty much stock besides the magnaflow 3" exhaust from the cats back....Why knock the Toy...

Here is a post from the tundra bbs...I tow a bobcat,breaker,fork attchment and usually 600 punds worth of concrete on the back of my 5.7 trd ive gone to the scales to wight the whole truck and trailer came to 13,600 pounds pretty much stock besides the magnaflow 3" exhaust from the cats back....Why knock the Toy...

Now theres an overloaded accident waiting to happen.

Wesley, sorry it took a day or two to respond, I had to go through a tank of gas to get your numbers. I filled up at 28653 miles. I was empty yesterday at 28960. The truck took 20.80 (71 freakin dollars) gallons. So if my math is correct, I got 14.75 mpg.

I'm happy with that, considering that mileage is pulling my trailer up to the mountains, in the mountains, and back. Some highway mileage was included in that tank, but mostly a lot of city driving. I wasn't babying it trying to get every mile either, I drove like usual, about 70 or so when possible. If I go out of town this weekend, I'll do a fresh tank of interstate driving to see what kind of mileage I get there.

As far as pulling 13,000 pounds, I don't have too, and probably never will. If I did have to carry that around everyday I'd prob. get a stronger truck, a diesel. But for pulling a pressure washing rig around, this truck is perfect for me.

So if my math is correct, I got 14.75 mpg.

Thats not bad, our diesels get right around that number as well.

The truck took 20.80 (71 freakin dollars) gallons

20 gallons of diesel @ 4.25 = $85

20 gallons of gas @ 3.49 = $70

$ 15 savings each fillup versus diesel not bad.

In my personal diesel I used 1,785 gallons of fuel this past year.

1,785 gal. x 3.89 avg = $6943 diesel cost for year

1,785 gal. x 3.19 avg = $5694 if I had a gas, saving $1250 in gas/year

$1250 x 4 vehicles = $5000/year in savings

I may slowly convert to gas.

Jon can you explain the quote above?

My diesels are way more expensive to maintain than a gas burner.

Oil changes, oil filters, fuel filters, brake jobs, tires(10 ply), diesel fuel everything I just mentioned cost more than a gas burner

kale bean tomato mushroom zucchini at kaleauto.com

Mr Medberry, if you will click on the above link, you will find they have not only spark plugs for diesels, but also the spark plug wires. They may even have parts for those litle tiny pick-up things, I think they are called rangers.

Whoops, a bad link. I expect the outfit is out of business. Probably sold all o the spark plugs and wire sets for the diesel vans, like the Sprinter.

Ive had three diesels personally, I will not buy another with current fuel prices.

I might get a Toy or nissan. Maybe a hybrid electric?

Dude, with your dual 8000psi 10gpm machines, 2 1500 gal tanks, recovery systems yadda yadda yadda I would think you NEED a diesel to pull around that kind of weight. Im lucky, Im just a hood cleaner, ALL my stuff MAY weigh 3 or 4 hundred pounds. Did I mention my Ranger got 27.2 mpg last fill up?:)

You cant beat a diesel, I love em. But with the added initial cost (6 to 8K) and the higher price of fuel, and the better longevity of gas engines now days, unless you NEED one to safely haul some serious weight, I dont think its worth it any more.

They have come a long way at first I was all about a ford or chev

I did my home work on all makes of trucks The nissan in my eyes is not all that the Toy can out pull it.I'm a owner of a 07 Tundra