Sign in to follow this  
Palmetto Home and Deck

Sealing a composite deck with Sun Frog?

Question

I'm looking at cleaning a home that has a beautiful 16'x47' covered composite deck on the back of the house. However, the rain blows in about 5' onto this deck and leaves a water mark/stain all along this area.

The owner wants me to clean the deck and apply a sealer to it to help keep this water staining from happening. I re-skin a lot of decks with composite and I recognized this decking material was made by Timbertech. I checked with Timbertech and they recommend "Composite Stain Guard" by Sun Frog for this problem.

I looked it up and it sounds like it is just what I need, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it or if there is something else you know about.

Here is the link to Sun Frog Composite Deck Stain Guard Finish

4 answers to this question

I can't help you on this. But you mentioned you re-skinned a lot of composite decks. I just cleaned a composite deck (not sure what the make is, HO did not know either. The deck still looks nasty. What woul;d you reccomend I use to stain/seal it?

Thanks for any help you can offer

Tiger

Len,

As a wood lover, curious why you "re-skin a lot of decks with composits". Is it a maintenance issue, material costs, or installation labor?

Priced out mahogany, ipe', and western red cedar a few years ago. Good woods at that time were sure less expensive than ground up recycled plastics and wood pulp.

Edited by RPetry
spelling error

I stained composite deck boards with a linseed oil based stain last year and it seems to be holding up well.

Can't be specific, it was a bunch of stuff I mixed up myself.