Sign in to follow this  
staudend

mildew stains on white rubber window trim/molding

Question

Anybody know how to get rid of these? I don't have a pic, but I'm sure other people have seen them. I have to wash a house saturday that has some black mildew streaks on the bottom of the white window trim that's kind of rubber/plastic material. I've had a problem before with them before but have never known how to get them out. Thanks, Nick

P.S. Application of 6% bleach and Emulsifier with an Xjet won't touch it. Hmmmmm

Edited by staudend
additional info

7 answers to this question

I have never had any good luck removing mildew from any type of silicone around windows or whatever. I think if you could get bleach to stay long enough it may work, but it's still tough I think. Being silicone it naturally repels liquid. Probably be faster to replace the silicone. Maybe someone will have an answer for both of us. I give up long ago trying to get it out. I always just hope it works "this" time. But really don't pay attention to it and just wash it like the the rest of the building.

Jeff

Thanks guys, I ended up going with strait bleach on a rag and using a little elbow grease. Not all of it came up but the customer was happy so therefore so was I. Thanks again.

i've run across the same on garage door rubber molding. i usually hit it with the house wash first and if that does not work hit it a few times with household bleach. most of the time you can get all or most of it out but we have all run into this one i am sure.

good luck,

rando

I've had the problem before also..... I say strong bleach but watch it..If it doesn't change... You will have to remove the silicone.cause the mildew is under the 1st base of silicone..................good luck...... Marvin

For the moldings, dryer vents, and other rubber/plastic I use 12.5% SH straight. I use a spray bottle to apply it. It only takes about 2 minutes. It works about 90% of the time. Not always does it completely get rid of the discoloration.

I am very careful with some of the streaks on the window panes. I have gotten them to come up sometimes but a large majority of the time if I use a gutter cleaner or something similar what happens is the black streak lightens but the area that was white is now even whiter and it enhances the streaks.