Sign in to follow this  
PWkid

All about spelling and grammar...

In this business you do not have to have a collage education to be successful.

I can only speak for myself but I would be lost if it was not for spell checker on these boards and when I have to write a proposal, letter, ad copy ect....I use spell checker and then I have my wife read it because if seems there is always a way it be can improve.

Customers might have caught my misspelled words or heard me not speaking correctly using southern slang words.

I hope they base their opinion of me and my company on my integrity, honestly and by the contents of the words I speak or write.

I am sure you can find some errors with my post (since wife is asleep) but hopefully you can get past the words and understand the meaning of my post.

Good post Al, so what your saying is that i wouldnt be hiring you or Mel to write my companys letter.LOL

I used to bother my wife about 20 years ago. She has a masters degree, I met her in college. She wrote a few of my papers, I paid someone else to write them even back then. Maybe that was my problem...I was too tired after practice.

That brang back some old memory Al, you keep having her proof.

By the way, all my letters get re read by someone else. Unless they are standard. thats just smart business.

Ok Ron you win.

Mel, its not about winning. you want me to go back to School, Its not going to happen. Its truly noted i will try to better my spelling.

Al's having his wife proof letter really hit home. 20 years ago and i'm still a poor writer.

Kinda ironic////

Yer all crazy!! Winning is everything!!

Ron,

I'm truly sorry, I wish my skills where better. Believe me, I have no time to stop and take a skills class for writing. If i took any classes they would be more computer courses. Software engineering, I pay a fortune for this stuff, Beth Knows I run a server company. I have for almost as long as i have pressure cleaned.

Dude don't be modest mang.You got mad skills in other ways that are more important!!

I mean they aint as mad as some of mine but I down right proud of you and entertained by post #19 :

Dear MR. Jones

I recently recieved a proposal returned from your today and i noticed you guys mis spelled 1.2 million annually. I'm affraid i cant do work with people that cant spell millions. Please give Ron ********** a call, he cant spell either and you two will get along wonderful.

I before E except after C - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

umm er somebody has surely received a lesson somewhere..hope Ron wasn't wearing steel toe. :)

I agree with you Mel in that Ron does win. He got you good there ya have to admit...

Thanx guys.. this thread is great entertainment.

Edited by MMI Enterprises

You look great Ron. We all could learn a bit from Ron on the virtues of self-deprecation. Taking it like a champ. Honestly, If I was on the outside looking in and happened across this thread, (and Ron's responses to all of this lightweight criticism), I would hire him based on his dignity and humility. Yeah, okay, run spellcheck, pretty quick, pretty easy. Mel's mispell-a-phobias perplex me a bit but I wont get into that. It's too late it's putting me to sleep.

I for one am not impressed with PWkid's apparent personality and lack of aforethought when speaking to others or in the presence of others. Seemed pretty personal to me and WAY over done and uncalled for. Hats off to Ron for not stooping to PWkids' level going back after him. My bet would be that is why Ron is much more successful $$$ while making a living "representing OUR INDUSTRY" than PWkid-know-it-all. Knowing how to speak to others and more important how NOT to speak to others is worth more than how to write them. When I collect check$ from clients it isn't by mail. At least Ron is smart enough to know to have his secretary write those letters for him and the client is never the wise, PWkid apparently isn't smart enough to not personally attack someone who obviously commands more respect than him and show his butT in front of everyone while doing so. I don't think Ron is the one who needs the education on how to represent himself.

Hats off Ron!

MudDuck,

Don't know the PWkid but Ron is a powerhouse contractor and seems to be a stand up guy.

By the way, the word "Commercial" is spelled with two "m's". Kind of looks stupid as a misspelling in a company signature line.

Let's all remember to breath..... ;)

Beth

You misspelled 'breathe'.

:lol:

I guess that means you couldn't possibly own a successful business or BBS.

;)

You misspelled 'breathe'.

:lol:

I guess that means you couldn't possibly own a successful business or BBS.

;)

Hahaha, that's funny! :)

every time I read a post here...I have to go back to the first one to see what it was about.

Since this thread has got so far off topic and obviously has become a thread to diminishes others character that post here.....Beth could you possibly lock it out. because I personally think it has it has no value to the pw industry

Gee, spell check didn't catch that because it is a word.... ;)

I know. It was a simple error like any human can make at any time.

Hahaha, that's funny! :)

I was going for ironic.

We're all human and make mistakes.

You can spell it breathe or breath. Ones a nown the other a vbre.

This is funny thread! I can relate to it because I can not write or spell but I win at Scrabble ?

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too. Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtis y, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oer dr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be

in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pbo erlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Actually you should try to represent our industry as professional anytime you can Ron, Even at the ***, the last word is Institute. I am sure at the *** you make sure that everyone can Pressure Wash and are educated LIKE an Institute should be. I know if I would put my name, reputation, and livelyhood on the line, I would make sure that the people that represent (including the CEO) the PRESSURE WASHING INSTITUTE or (Pressure Wash PROS) would show up at my Door knowing how to portray themselves as PROFESSIONALS.

Mel,

Walk softly. IT IS SPELLED "livelihood".

Sometimes you just can't win.

When in doubt, look it up. My mom was famous for making me look up words when I was a kid. Dictionary and Thesaurus - Merriam-Webster Online

I'm not a perfect speller, but it helps to get into the habit of checking. Some people don't get unembarrassed by misspellings or grammar issues, some do.

If a letter goes out, I personally feel it needs to be clean and free of errors. If that's not your area of strength, develop a few templates you can use in multiple situations or make sure your office help can write well.

Speaking well is also important. When you are with a client, try to avoid slang, and speak in complete sentences. Presenting a professional image is a whole package, not just what is on paper.

Just food for thought. :)

Beth :groovy2:

You can spell it breathe or breath. Ones a nown the other a vbre.

This is funny thread! I can relate to it because I can not write or spell but I win at Scrabble ?

Come on Diamond Jim, admit it. You can not only not spell, you cannot talk on the cell phone. The friggin' mountains or black holes in cell coverage in Conn. are brutal!

Add in the fact that I cannot hear. Probably a step away from legal deafness. We have very interesting telephone conversations!

I know I am not perfect and have never claimed to be perfect. Thanks Rick for going through all my posts in this thread and finding livelihood misspelled. I am quite sure that is not the only word that I have misspelled. We all make mistakes,and I would think we all try and learn from them. I don't think the misspelling of words was my point,or a grammar issue, it was the constant misspelling of simple words and the lack of giving a sh** about it. I did not think of it as an attack. It was more of an annoyance to me,with that being said, I will take Ricks advice and walk softly.

I know I am not perfect and have never claimed to be perfect. Thanks Rick for going through all my posts in this thread and finding livelihood misspelled. I am quite sure that is not the only word that I have misspelled. We all make mistakes,and I would think we all try and learn from them. I don't think the misspelling of words was my point,or a grammar issue, it was the constant misspelling of simple words and the lack of giving a sh** about it. I did not think of it as an attack. It was more of an annoyance to me,with that being said, I will take Ricks advice and walk softly.

Mel,

No offense implied, and I trust none given. The point was ironic. We all make simple mistakes and that is fine. We are all subject to being human.

Ron may be an icon in the pressure washing industry. I honestly do not know, being only active in wood restoration. "Woodies" are not pressure washers. We are different.

That being said, hanging around this board for more than a few years, Ron has earned a bye on proper English grammar and spelling.