Question

**Edit (July 2010)**

For those of you stumbling upon this post through Google Search, I wanted to report an update that Apex DeckSavers (providing deck cleaning, deck restoration, and deck staining services in the Apex, Cary, Raleigh, Chapel Hill North Carolina) has been using Armstrong Clark stain for over two years now with amazing results. Coverage is great, oil penetrates deep on the older woods, and the color tone is fantastic. No color shift from the decks I've been tracking either. Scotts been carrying it at the www.thesealerstore.com so all you East Coast folks can get it from there. We primarily restore Pressure Treated Pine and use the Armstrong Clark Semi-Transparent stains for most applications.

Anyone with questions is welcome to email me at charlie(at)apexdecksavers(dot)com

The thread below is several years old and has some great information on the stain before it became well known around the country. Thanks to all that contributed to the thread and the exposure this post has generated for Armstrong Clark.

I'm looking for anyone who has used Armstrong Clark stains or has experimented with them for some time now.

Theres some info in the 2008 sealer poll but I'm looking for people who has used it on a job to give their impressions

What kind of coverage did you get?

Where to purchase it?

Whats the viscosity of the oil?

And finally does anyone have photos of the stain on a deck? Pressure treated pine would be nice. Cedar and Rustic colors in particular

Thanks

Edited by bigchaz
Update on post

224 answers to this question

The wood samples are Redwood. The lighter colors - cedar, natural, clear are all on sapwood or "blonde" Redwood. The other finishes are on Heart Redwood. This format does a better job of displaying the differances in the tones.

I got my box of samples today. I've never used WoodTux or Ready Seal, but the samples sure do look like my old Oly Max Toner. Nice color, without a film. The samples are on cedar (rare around here) so I will be making-up some pressure treated samples ASAP. The box included samples of the transparents and semitransparents as well as a small can of each.

If it looks as good as the samples, I may have found a new stain.

We'll weve used the AC on about a dozen and a half jobs so far and I have to say I'm loving the stain and so are the customers. The semi transparants are the way to go IMO... we tried the toners this week and while they look good I think the semi trans with the additional pigment is far more versatile and consistant. Rustic Brown is an awesome color on newer decks ... a little dark for the 30 year old projects though. Cedar Semi seems to be the most popular however.

I was a little concerned over the cost but the coverage seems to average the cost out to be in line with the other products on the market.

We're finishing up decks and a fence at a beach house on Lake Michigan currently. We're using the Natural Toner on some Palupe decking they have down and they wanted it put on their pressure treated fence and decking as well. I'll try and post pics when its done....

Glad to hear this!!! We are excited about this product.

J Clark sent me a bunch of product ( and I mean a bunch ) to demo out on deck projects. We will be putting down the driftwood on a deck tomorrow or friday... Can't wait to try it.

I took their color samples that they sent me and made a small portable "pickett fence" type display to show my customers. I have three decks pending that would like the AC stain. I am waiting to see how the first one turns out but is sounds like it will be a great addition to our product line.

I really like the color selection they offer and the merchandising material they sent me. Because it is more expensive for me to use than my current product, we will be offering it as our premium product line and charging accordingly.

We used the driftwood semi today. I have to say it exceeded my expectations. It applied easily, great coverage per gallon, easy cleanup and looked greeeat!!

We will certainly be adding this product line for our customers to consider.

One note worth mentioning.... The can says "shake well" but I would recommend stirring it in addition to shaking it. There was a substantial amount of pigment on the bottom of the can after we shook it.

:wave:

Overall rating: 8 out of 10

:wave:

Scott, as a homeowner, diy'er, it was easy to apply. I brushed it on the floors and rails without any problems. The wood seems to soak up what it needs to and then I just brushed out the rest. No lapping, no stain sitting on top of the wood etc. And, I applied it liberally to make sure the wood could soak up what it needed. Hope you do well with the line. Take care, Greg

Heres some shots of another job with cedar semi-transparent:

Pics are of a custom deck and 347 feet of fencing all stained with Cedar semi-trans. That fence only took 7.5 gallons!!

I wont post my prices on here, but I will tell you that in the four jobs I used AC on, my stain expense has averaged out to about 12 percent of my total bill. That means Im making a lot more money. Especially on fences where product cost is huge for me

post-2382-137772210198_thumb.jpg

post-2382-137772210267_thumb.jpg

post-2382-137772210303_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigchaz

Very sharp!!! :) All of them - even the Grey and I do not like Grey!

Beth

Yeah, I kinda like the grey too. Have any photos of the deck prior to staining?

We have a couple of decks we maintain with Grey (SRD) and this looks better to me than the SRD does. I think from now on if they want Grey this is what I'll suggest. Matt, thanks for sharing the pics. :)

Beth

oh how exciting.. gray displayed right before I attempt one!..

Matt, The gray is only semi trans right? Was it done on fully stripped wood or what?. I plan to use the driftwood as a maintenance coat over a deck just starting to show wear of its gray coat. Unsure what brand is there now..hope that works out.

oh how exciting.. gray displayed right before I attempt one!..

Matt, The gray is only semi trans right? Was it done on fully stripped wood or what?. I plan to use the driftwood as a maintenance coat over a deck just starting to show wear of its gray coat. Unsure what brand is there now..hope that works out.

Yes it is the semi trans. The nice thing about it is I can get it from ACR Products and I have it in 1 day UPS.

I am bidding a log cabin tomorrow. I may offer the AC Product line as an option to the homeowner.

The deck was prepped - stripped and neutralized in the usual fashion, It was also defurred prior to staining. It didn't need defurring, but we no w defelt / defurr all decks prior to staining. I just think the luster in the wood comes through more after defurring and the decks do look better.

Kev, I dont know if I would put AC down over another stain if I didn't know for sure it was there. Sounds like the potential for a mess. However, let ,e know if it works well.

MJ

We have a couple of decks we maintain with Grey (SRD) and this looks better to me than the SRD does. I think from now on if they want Grey this is what I'll suggest. Matt, thanks for sharing the pics. :)

Beth

The Pics do not do the project justice. The deck looks much better than the pics reflect. That was a one coat application as well, I looked at it today again and cured nicely

I've found the horizontals to really need a second coat on most decks so far. We haven't used the grey yet but none of the floors have held enough color at the surface with only one coat. A light second coat just before we leave has helped to even things up and leave a much richer appearance to the wood.

I have a bunch of pics as soon as I get my camera back from my lead guy :) We started another log home and it's been in his truck the whole time.

I was forwarded these pictures yesterday. The wood siding on the home is white cedar. Original condition, prepped, and finished pics.

The stain is Armstrong-Clark, color Cedar Semi-transparent. Looks real nice.

Beth,

A wood restoration contractor out west that has requested to remain anonymous. I have talked with the owner over the last few years and I assure you, this guy is the real deal.