Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

Ever have a deck you just know is gonna be a challenge?

Question

Immediate issues:

- Cedar (the softest wood known to man)

- Multiple coats of waterborne Behr acrylic

- Landscaping

- Pool

- Second story

This beast is 90 feet long, has three trellises, built in planter boxes and benches. Did I mention acrylic? I normally wouldn't take on a project like this at this time of the year but I wanted it for my portfolio. A couple of guys actualy bid under $2000. We're done the stripping and it was no small task. I was out on the first day of the project. 16 hours to strip it completely.

For the stripping formula call or visit Scott at www.theprosealerstore.com. Thanks for the heads up, Scott.. worked like a charm.

Here is the whole thing in a glance. To put it in perspective I'll follow with a closeup or two of certain sections.

full_view.jpg

See that far left corner in the picture above? Here is a closer view to help you get a feel for the size of this deck.

a_sliver.jpg

32 answers to this question

30 posts hold this thing up

underneath.jpg

You can see two of the trellises in this shot of the right side. Two full staircases lead to the floor. The other one is in the middle of the deck next to the house and leads to a smaller deck at ground level.

right_side.jpg

Here is a shot from the front. That fence color tells all. It also wraps around me for another 20 linear feet that you cannot see in the pic.

the_front.jpg

The deck is so dry and that acrylic so bonded that even at 800 psi the pulp was flying. This beast is going to eat a ton of oil. I'll update this thread after project is complete.

PS: That concrete was evidently painted red by the previous homeowner.

pulp.jpg

Edited by PressurePros

you're a better man than me ken

that is ridiculous

All things considering with acrylic and cedar that last shot doesn't even look too fuzzy

What are you staining with? How many gallons estimated?

Charlie,

It's getting two coats of Baker's blend of super cedar gold and super cedar dark. I estimated for 35 gallons Its probably going to be a bit less than that. The first coat will probably disappear.

Beth,

I dedicated a three man crew for a half day of sanding and defelting. One of the only reasons I took this on besides what I mentioned above was the fact that it has powder coated metal spindles. Wood spindles would have taken this this project over 5000 s/f and probably would take twice as long.

I think the Dekorator spindles are an excellent choice in a deck. No maintenance.

For staining, one guy sprays top and bottom rails the other backbrushes and wipes every single spindle with a rag moistened with a spirit.

I think the Dekorator spindles are an excellent choice in a deck. No maintenance.

For staining, one guy sprays top and bottom rails the other backbrushes and wipes every single spindle with a rag moistened with a spirit.

Nice one Ken. I mentioned yesterday that I hadn't seen a solid in over 2 years so Im pretty spoiled out here. I must say, Id have to take this one on as well GREAT portfolio deck! Kevin, I take the same approach to metal spindles when I see them. MUCH faster than wrapping and/or taping. My chem resistant spray bottle of min. spirits travels everywhere with me when Im spraying. With RS, a bottle of simple green as well.

That is one beauty of a deck Ken,as always, well done!

Ken,

That is one unholy monster, especially stripping acrylic.

Worked up an estimate on a big solid oil job a few weeks back. Came out less expensive to just replace the wood spindles than to strip them.

Dan, $10K would have been sweet. I sold it at a multiple of 2 grand but that multiple wasn't five.

We need to work on your sales skills and confidence, Chen.

;)

:lol:

So what's the recipe, Scott?
Not much to it. I have to thank my worker for this. He applied HD80 to a thick Behr strip on a hot day and he was having trouble getting the stain off. To keep it wet he applied the Powersolve Injectable stripper on top. The combination of the two works wonders! We so far only mentioned it to Ken and Jarrod and both tried it with phenomenal results! I think the injectable properties and extra sodium hyroxide boosts the HD80's effectiveness.