Sign in to follow this  
rj242

cleaning and sealing docks over water?

Question

I was just wondering how everyone handles cleaning and sealing docks and piers over waterways? I would like to use percarb, but not sure if legal.

Thanks in Advance!

6 answers to this question

Not sure about cleaning of docks but as of Sept all boaters will be required to have and EPA permit just to wash their boat. So do not be surprised if you have to get an EPA permit to go near water.

Call the DNR and tell them on how and what products you plan on using. After that is all done get a letter from them stating that it is oky to treat those docks.

Charlie

If you really need to clean the dock and don't know what will get you in trouble, the safe bet is always water in - water out. Remember that years ago, not that many actually used soaps when cleaning. Soaps allow the user to be faster, more efficient, and helps the water do it's thing better. Cleaning can be done with just water. It just take a bit more effort to accomplish. Just a thought.

I know around here most lakes/rivers have governing bodies that regulate them. Do a search for the body of water you are working over and call the proper authorities. They will be able to tell you exactly what you can and cant do or use.

I Have spoke with NY DEC about this.... If a drop of anything hits the water here, it is a fine if caught. If fish die as a result, it is a huge fine. We can not wash newly constructed decks or docks.. Old westher docks can be washed only with cold water.