Sign in to follow this  
Mountain View

Fresh stain on concrete

Question

What is the best way to remove relatively fresh stain (less than a week old) from concrete? I've tried stripper at about 4-5 oz/gal, nothing. Xylene, Acetone, nothing. Ran out of Mineral spirits but the little I had seemed to do so-so.

Edited by Mountain View

11 answers to this question

If the stain is already dried, which I'm suspecting it is mineral spirits won't do much for it. Try mixing your stripper strong & mixing in some butyl type degreaser and saturate the concrete. Best thing to do is mix it in a bucket and then just dump the bucket out on the concrete. A pump sprayer can't keep it wet enough in the hot sun. Let it dwell for 15 min.'s or so. Then use a surface cleaner if you have one or wand and wash it right off. You should get most of it out of the concrete.

It seems to be easier to clean concrete than pavers. I have some pavers to clean up stain drips from an employee who didnt bother to lay plastic. Needless to say he is no longer working with us but I need to get them cleaned up or pay to have the pavers replaced and I think I am going to get hosed for a lot of money.

it's one of many different brands of strippers, usually methylene chloride based. If you're using an oil based stain you shouldn't have to use anything like that. But in the worst case scenario go to Home Depot grab a can of Kleen Strip(the one with the little spray bottle attached to the side) and spray the areas of stain and pressure wash off, wear heavy duty chemical resistant gloves with that stripper.

Home Depot also carries another product I have used with decent success....

Pull It Out. It is specifically to remove stain from concrete and found in the paint / stripper section. runs around $8 for a small bottle but it works decently well for OOOPS situations.

Home Depot also carries another product I have used with decent success....

Pull It Out. It is specifically to remove stain from concrete and found in the paint / stripper section. runs around $8 for a small bottle but it works decently well for OOOPS situations.

Great stain thanks for the tip....Was that stain dried or fresh when you tried removing it?

If you wet down the concrete before staining it's harder for the stain to stick on concrete.

How's it going in odessa? I know it's hot I lived in Big Spring for a little time not much out there but tumble weeds!

Also please fill out a signature its forum rules

Thanks

This might interest those that find themselves with stains on Concrete:

EBC Testimony from Andy Vickers from down in Georgia. EBC being used to remove Oil Based Semi-Trans Stain on concrete:

"Had emergency service today. Customer spilled an oil base semi-trans stain on fresh clean Concrete yesterday. Called me this morning after 14 hrs of drying and soaking in. (Wish I took photos for you guys) but customers were freaking out and cameras might have made it worse. But drum roll please..........MY ONLY SAMPLE OF EBC THAT WAS MEANT FOR A GAS STATION SERVICE WAS THE HERO THAT SAVED THE DAY. sprayed is out, agitated it, gave it 30 mins. Hit with surface cleaner and hot water. Ta Dah! Stain gone! EBC SHOWED ITS COLORS TODAY AND THE COLOR WAS BROWN OIL BASE STAIN. GONE.............ps. this photo is only the after I cleaned. Sorry no before. ty

post-181-137772432553_thumb.jpg

Sorry that I have been away for so long... I work a full time job and am staining fences almost full time as well. I wanted to give you all a quick update on removing oil based stain from concrete ~ I have not had the time to reat all the posts {so someone may have already posted this} but I have found a new process that has worked for me 100% of the time

in a pump sprayer mix TSP (trisodium phosphate) with your favorite degreaser and add water as ususal. Spray the solution on the stain and let it set a few seconds. Use a stiff bristled brush and it should take it right off. If this does not work, I have also let it dry, applied Goof Off with a brush, then the TSP/Degreaser solution. Another great trick is to mix diatomacious earth (common swimming pool ingredient, but don't know if I spelled it correctly). Scrub it into the concrete and allow it to dry. After drying scrape it up with a putty knife and rinse off. Hope this helps everyone!

Sorry that I have been away for so long... I work a full time job and am staining fences almost full time as well. I wanted to give you all a quick update on removing oil based stain from concrete ~ I have not had the time to reat all the posts {so someone may have already posted this} but I have found a new process that has worked for me 100% of the time

in a pump sprayer mix TSP (trisodium phosphate) with your favorite degreaser and add water as ususal. Spray the solution on the stain and let it set a few seconds. Use a stiff bristled brush and it should take it right off. If this does not work, I have also let it dry, applied Goof Off with a brush, then the TSP/Degreaser solution. Another great trick is to mix diatomacious earth (common swimming pool ingredient, but don't know if I spelled it correctly). Scrub it into the concrete and allow it to dry. After drying scrape it up with a putty knife and rinse off. Hope this helps everyone!

I've never thought of using DE. Just be careful with runoff....it's okay to sit in dirt but not otherwise draining into water supply ( I'm a CPO) Cool idea