Sign in to follow this  
814jeffw

Artillery Fungus Removal

Question

Just wondering if anyone is offering artillery fungus removal as a part of their services? It can be removed without damaging the surface, but it takes a very detailed and targeted approach, was debating on throwing out an add or two to see what response I would get and was wondering if anyone here does it at all. I flat rate everything in the normal realm of the pressure washing business but seeing how this is somewhat different method than washing I figured to charge $20-$30 an hour for this service with a two hour minimum fee. I've seen this stuff so bad that I'm sure someone would get it done, and then remove the mulch and go with stone. Would only have to be done once.

Jeff

95 answers to this question

Have you figured out what it is yet? I feel certain you will, and you will also be surprised at how it works!! Let me know please!! Every one here is counting on you to give an opinion!!

Jeff

Remember, we don't have one on the books, so don't hold your breath for me. Get a couple other guys who have artillery fungus on houses that need washing.

Beth

Trisodium phosphate and bleach with lots of scrubbing, along with a surfactant will get rid of artillery fungus - but the solution is so strong that it etches paint, so it's only good as a pre-prep for house painting.

You guys aren't quite getting it, you have to understand that the whole house will not be done, you can't compare apples to oranges. This will be altogether different than house washing. You can't justify charging $150.00 an hour for something that takes very little effort and only one product. You don't need a pressure washing rig to do this. But, in reality you guys can charge as you please, but the guy charging $20-$30 dollars an hour will do ok and take all the work in this part of the washing business.

Jeff

I don't charge $150/hr for the house wash. It's to show up on the job and to market to folks letting them know I can do it. If nobody knows you can get AF off, then it won't matter what you charge. $20/hr won't bring in enough $$ to afford a marketing Campaign to get you out in front of some AF. Most of the bids we do are for "behind the scenes" costs.

Ok, I gave Beth the exact thing I'm using, I want her to try it and report back. Because,..that will tell the tale!!

Jeff

I appreciate it...but like I said above...don't have an AF removal on the books.... If we come across it we'll try it. But don't wait for me...

Beth

I think that if it were saferestore the word would have been out by now!!

Jeff

i was hoping to get an answer from someone that has tried it and can tell us their results even if it was not 100%. have you tried it or is this just your opinion? i have the secret to the colonel's KFC if you want to trade sometime.

rando

i was hoping to get an answer from someone that has tried it and can tell us their results even if it was not 100%. have you tried it or is this just your opinion? i have the secret to the colonel's KFC if you want to trade sometime.

rando

This is really not about an opinion, it would either remove it 100% or not, if it didn't it wouldn't be considered to work. And yes, I've done tests with it for about a month now, and on spots that I know were there for a few years, (previous customers). Works every time for me and I hope others can make it work for them, some will do it and others won't.

Jeff

I believe I could get $150 just to get it off as a individual service and an additional $100 added to a house that has it. ie... $450 for house wash and if it has A F I could explain the added cost by showing them it won't come off without the secret formula!!! price would then be $550 .I used to give a price for housewashing and charge extra for whitening gutters as an option. Now I just include it but my price is higher for all houses.

This is really not about an opinion, it would either remove it 100% or not, if it didn't it wouldn't be considered to work. And yes, I've done tests with it for about a month now, and on spots that I know were there for a few years, (previous customers). Works every time for me and I hope others can make it work for them, some will do it and others won't.

Jeff

if you need another tester jeff then i will donate my services. hope you like chicken.

rando

Not being able to fully clean a customer's home is rather embarrassing - even if it "can't be done". I recall figuring out how to clean the rubber gaskets around a garage door, and how to properly clean gutter streaks, or remove rust stains. Now that there appears to be a remedy for artillery fungus, I look forward to the day that I can say "remember when...". Jeff, if it truly works, you will earn my vote for the Nobel!

By the way, while AF most commonly appears around wood mulch, I have seen cases of AF around stone, grass and trees. I have spoken with the Virginia Tech Ag Extension (They don't know how to remove it!) as well as some "experts" and the recommendation is the application of a fungicide in the affected area as well as turning over the mulch.

Just curious, why not just spill the beans? Why the game? Why bring something up on a public forum just to tell everyone that you can only tell a few select people via private message? Seems kinda silly to me.

Just curious, why not just spill the beans? Why the game? Why bring something up on a public forum just to tell everyone that you can only tell a few select people via private message? Seems kinda silly to me.

I'm not really playing any kind of game, as I come here to learn as well. But I just want a few people to try it because it is kind of an odd little way of doing it, it's actually so simple it's stupid, and it's also a seemingly kind of stupid way of doing it, other than it does work and it works VERY well. Sorry for the the inconvenience to anyone who's waiting to try it.

Jeff

" anticipaayaaayaayation ! is makin' me wait " didn't Hientz use that in a ketchup commercial??? I just did a house that had some small areas behind a shrub. The worst case I ever saw was in montgomery county in 2000. I got a call to p-wash a house from a guy who just put on a new roof for the homeowner. She called to complain about the black spots all over the house. When i got there it had black dots everywhere and some black streaks from the tear off of the old shingles. I had never heard of A F at the time since I primarily do decks. I was able to remove 75 % of the dots and all the streaks. Probably because it was new AF. that is when I searched the net and found out about A F. I called the roofer and the homeowner to explain the culprit was the new mulch they had installed after the new roof was put on. Who knew!!!!

" anticipaayaaayaayation ! is makin' me wait " didn't Hientz use that in a ketchup commercial??? I just did a house that had some small areas behind a shrub. The worst case I ever saw was in montgomery county in 2000. I got a call to p-wash a house from a guy who just put on a new roof for the homeowner. She called to complain about the black spots all over the house. When i got there it had black dots everywhere and some black streaks from the tear off of the old shingles. I had never heard of A F at the time since I primarily do decks. I was able to remove 75 % of the dots and all the streaks. Probably because it was new AF. that is when I searched the net and found out about A F. I called the roofer and the homeowner to explain the culprit was the new mulch they had installed after the new roof was put on. Who knew!!!!

I don't think insurance companies cover this anymore either.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

OK...been watching this thread since it's inception...I'm dying to know what this solution is. I've run across this problem in my area several times and need help with it. Jeff, what's it going to take for you to share with the rest of us? Sorry, my patience is running thin...

WOW!!!! that sh$# works like charm! a lot of elbow grease but it works. no residue at all except in a few minor concave parts of the texture of the siding. now it just need to find a big piece of it .!

Edited by jeffex11

WOW!!!! that sh$# works like charm! a lot of elbow grease but it works. no residue at all except in a few monor concave parts of the texture of the siding. now it just need to find a big piece of it .!

Yea you're right it does take a little effort, but like I said before, the point is that once it's gone it's gone and won't come back if the mulch is dealt with. And they do sell it in bigger pieces on the net. It also does it so well that you're not sacrificing the finish of the siding either. I think that is where the real beauty is by doing it this way.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

I will be up selling this service now!!! it was embarising to have to tell a customer I couldn't get something off their house. it works great on black marks on white vinyl railings from the p wash hoses too!!!

I will be up selling this service now!!! it was embarising to have to tell a customer I couldn't get something off their house. it works great on black marks on white vinyl railings from the p wash hoses too!!!

Yea I agree, it's nice to be able to say " Yea I can get that off, here's what you're looking at " Then it's up to them to decide.

Jeff

Speaking of the white plastic/vinyl fencing, I've seen where the artillery fungus was so bad that the home owner said they were gonna just have to replace it. This method works very good on the plastic/vinyl, I know because that was one of many test spots, major difference in cost when compared to replacing this type fencing!!

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

indeed! i remember the first time I save a guys a$$ by getting the stain off the back of his house because of his do-it-yourself spray job to stain his deck. They were getting estimates for reploacing the siding when I told them I could get it off for $375 . she couldn't write the check fast enough!!! I hope for a few feel good moments with this product too!

Also this will turn into a serious marketing deal for those of us in the north. This can be done no matter what the temperature, could lead to a few more months of the working season. Needs to be put in customers' faces though and sold!!

Jeff