Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

Protecting Our Lungs.... Discussing Respirators Here

Question

As I was spraying my last deck of the week on Friday (in 100+heat nonetheless) the rather dizzying thought came to me to get more advice on the best way to protect ourselves from the harmful short and long-term effects of fumes...stripping, and especially spraying sealers.

Maybe some of us could take a minute to share their advice on respirator set-ups. Best low-cost solutions as well as best overall protection performances. Maybe links to the best place to get our hands on these pretty important preventative health care tools.

I, for one, get pretty aggravated with my $50 3M respirators when Im spraying my sealers. You know the story, hot, sweaty, fogged up goggles (painting a pretty picture,eh?). I've got a pretty big head and really get frustrated with the fit of most of the respirators out there. Furthermore, seems like Im still smelling fumes even with it on!

I'll admit, I haven't taken good care of my lungs in the last 20 years and getting the big "C" word is on my mind pretty much every day. My grandfather had sever pulmonary conditions and I can here him lecturing me from heaven every day. I really would like to add a solid respiratory protection system to my tool kit. I don't want my legacy on this great forum to be that of the guy who loved wood restoration more than he did his own life!

Anything one might add to this discussion is greatly appreciated.

18 answers to this question

I think this question would be best answered by the great folks in china with the pollution they got going on!

smog_beijing.jpe

But seriously I am also in for protecting my lungs since I am "only" in my mid 20's and if I'm in this line a work for a long time, I would like to get into the right habits now..

Probably more important than choosing any perticular brand or style is that of changing the filters often enough or having right filters in first place.

Even though I have a full face battery powered type respirator, I mainly just use the HF twin cartridge respirators. The $5 saved can go towards filters or buying a new one...I get them real dirty and don't like cleaning the rubber or the harness, so I toss and replace the whole thing.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44113

Make sure the respirator you choose is rated for what you will be working with. Change the cartridge frequently. Make sure the seal around your face is tight. Auditory protection should not be overlooked either.

Beth

Hey Matt,

Try one of these.

Survivair On Line

You can buy the filter to fit your working environment and the masks come in various sizes to fit different sized heads. They are also adjustable to conform to your face as well by the straps on the sides.

The one piece design helps prevent fogging inside the mask and is easier to put on and remove than the separate mask and respirator versions you are now using.

Rod!~

Rod, You use that survivair?

Yes, we do...among others. We also have some that are not full face, as well as goggles (I like the one piece better myself) We also have auditory protection, knee pads, PVC, boots, nitrile gloves, dust masks, and dedicated breathing apparatus for blasting which includes the air cooler. We take safety pretty seriously, and all of our staff goes through annual safety training. Everyone is responsible for cleaning and care of their PPE as well.

Beth

Well Matt I do have a full face battery powered one. What they called?..posative air respirator? Is bulky though and besides doing stuff down in a basement I haven't had a need to suffer wearing it. I use the half face plus earmuffs, and sometimes a hat when doing floors. People think I darth vader and run from me.. :)

I'll have to put up a photo later. It's really small and hooks into the air line where the helmet is. The hose runs back to a filter. The filter can connect up to two lines, so two people. We are set up for both the blaster and ground person to have a dedicated line, air cooler and helmet. It is just for blasting, as it requires a compressor to produce the airflow.

Beth

Compared to you guys, I am a Neanderthal. Used a respirator with stripper and staining when first starting out, but found it hot, uncomfortable, and the safety glasses would continue to fog up. Have not used one since. With 35 yrs. of 2 packs of smokes a day, a little chems and stain mist is nothing but icing on the cake.

Help is required to wear safety glasses, a dust mask when sanding, and encouraged but not required to wear a respirator. They have nice clean pink lungs with working cilia that need protecting. Long live the help!

Edited by RPetry
spelling

Here ya go Rick..

Face shield type for overhead work: http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/crewsheadgear.html

HF has similar.

I mainly use oversized Baxters similar to these: http://www.discountsafetygear.com/t1ovclle.html

They don't fog and have terrific field of view. The brow helps prevent drips into the eyes on mild overhead work.

Went to HF yesterday... they got the oversized glasses for $2, 3 respirators at $22, $29, and $39. Organic replacement cartridges for the cheaper respirator were $10 and cartriges for the other two models are $15. They attach differently apparently. All mention being for paints and thinners..the higher priced respirators say on package that they usable for muriatic acid though too.