Sign in to follow this  
PressureX

Killing Flowers?

Question

Ok, so I just had a customer call where we did her house 2 days ago. She said one of her flowers in her flower bed went from blooming to being crisp and brown and was wondering if there was anything she was supposed to do and didn't do (she wasnt complaining since it was a $2 walmart flower) but I am just curious how that happened.

I am sure that some chemical dripped on the flower bed when I was cleaning the upper portion of the home and the solution came down through the gutter drain, but can 1 gallon of 12.5%, half a gallon of QWIC AllBrite and and 3.5 gallons of water in an x-jet do that? I had never experienced it and frankly offered to replace the flower.

Just was wondering what I can do in the future to prevent such things from happening, or if it could be prevented.

Thanks!

12 answers to this question

Ok, so I just had a customer call where we did her house 2 days ago. She said one of her flowers in her flower bed went from blooming to being crisp and brown and was wondering if there was anything she was supposed to do and didn't do (she wasnt complaining since it was a $2 walmart flower) but I am just curious how that happened.

I am sure that some chemical dripped on the flower bed when I was cleaning the upper portion of the home and the solution came down through the gutter drain, but can 1 gallon of 12.5%, half a gallon of QWIC AllBrite and and 3.5 gallons of water in an x-jet do that? I had never experienced it and frankly offered to replace the flower.

Just was wondering what I can do in the future to prevent such things from happening, or if it could be prevented.

Thanks!

cover it !!!!

Pre rinsing, rinsing during, and post rinsing.

....also could have been chem reaction to the type of fertilizer she uses.

I have seen plants get burned minutes after covering with plastic so if covering, be careful.

But, as Beth would say........ rinse rinse rinse and then rinse some more.

or maybe the plant got shocked after transplanting and it is just coincidence that it died during the wash do to the timing of the replanting and scheduled housewash.

Replacing is the right thing to do.

I use the soap tip to pre/post rinse with h2o and cover with a cheap blue tarp during. I also ask the homeowner to water the night before just to make sure that the grass/plants get plenty of water before any exposure to chemical

I have seen plants get burned minutes after covering with plastic so if covering, be careful.

I read somewhere that you should never cover plants with a plastic tarp. What kind of tarp should they be covered with.............perhaps a canvas tarp that can breathe?

Another question: If you are going to cover the plants with a tarp, do you still wet them down before tarping them?

My brother power washed my parents roof, gutters, & eaves. He put plastic tarps over the shrubbery & plants resulting in a lot of damage to the plants. It's as though the plants may have gotten steamed with the hot moist air trapped beneath the plastic tarp.

When doing a typical house wash (not roof cleaning) is it best to water down the plants before, during, and after instead of covering the plants with a tarp?

Thanks!

Edited by rick77

pre wet, wet during, rinse after. I always tell the homeowner to soak as well if the gutter spout is near the plants.

no tarps unless you can be in and out of the area in 10 minutes or less....besides its alot of work. stuff goes on the tarp and then when you pick up the tarp the stuff will run off the tarp anyway.....much easier to rinse rinse rinse rinse

Thanks guys! I just did my own house today. I pre-wet the plants , wet them during, and thoroughly rinsed afterwards. The house is clean and the plants are healthy and in no need of water.

Now if I could just get that oxidation off of the vinyl shudders!!!!!!!

I tried brushing them with a mixture of 4 oz. of F-13 , 1/2 gallon of water, and shot of Dawn with no success. I came inside and did a Grime Scene search and found out about Restora from Flood. Anybody have luck with it on faded shudders?

Any other products that can be bought at box stores that will work?

Now if I could just get that oxidation off of the vinyl shudders!!!!!!!

Any other products that can be bought at box stores that will work?

Restora by flood, Armor All, Canuba Wax, Good results with all of those products.

...yep, Armor All

You can also take them off the house, clean them with windex and them paint them with plastic/vinyl paint. I think Krylon makes some and it comes in spray cans. I did mine and they looked brand new.

You can also take them off the house, clean them with windex and them paint them with plastic/vinyl paint. I think Krylon makes some and it comes in spray cans. I did mine and they looked brand new.

Actually my house is a condo so the paint would have to be an exact match to the existing color in order to conform to neighboring condos. If Krylon is available in coded colors that may be possible.

Hopefully the Armor-All will bring back the shine. I guess it will need to be applied fairly regularly in order to keep the shine from fading again.

Thanks for the input!