Sign in to follow this  
Celeste

Boy's Rite of Passage?

Question

Is there some small print somewhere that says a boy has to learn to burn ants with a magnifying glass??? Roger is planning to teach my son this little trick - says every boy is supposed to know how to burn ants with a magnifying glass?!? I say NO. Is this a guy thing that I just don't get or what?????

Celeste

72 answers to this question

He must also master the art of inserting fire crackers in crab apples and be able to launch them at the neighborhood bully from a minimium 1 block radius.....

and

every kid prior to the age of 10 must own a bonafide Daisy BB gun.....this works well also with the neighborhood bully in the event crab apples are not in season! :lgwave:

Actually Celeste your thread made my day.....it's been a hell of a week and reading it put a smile on my face thinking about the little things in life that we should enjoy.

I say give Roger the green light on the ants, firecrackers and the BB Gun all at the same time and while he's add it ...throw in a sling shot for good measure....he's only a young boy once!!

P.S....the sling shot works well also if the young one runs out of BB's!!!!

Edited by newlook

If he must do something like that....why not catch the Japanese beetles (since they eat roses and such) in a jar and shake it up?

Beth

throw a firecracker in there and you might be on to something, Beth...

A magnifying glass is the safer alternative to pouring something flammable in the anthill and tossing a match!

I always preferred tennis ball cannons. If you left the ball in the chamber to long it would soak up some of the gasoline and ignite when you launched it. It was really cool at night.

So i guess the neighbors cat is a no-no?

LOL...I didn't want to say anything or bring it up BUT as a young one we were always interested to see how cats land on their feet no matter how far they fall from a tree house.......:lgangel:

My brother and I used to love torching army men. Usually with a can of WD-40 and a lighter.

I believe every young boy must go through a pyro faze before reaching adulthood.

Anyone who is willfully torturing any life form are simply pieces of crap. It's really not funny, and instead of teaching kids that some life forms are expendable, try and teach them something more constructive. If you have an ant problem then go about it humanely. Sad to think that parents actually teach kids these kinds of things, because then where does it it stop. And no I never did it.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

Jeff,

Calling children pieces of crap, for doing childish things is crossing the line bro. Get off your high horse, and keep your version of morality to yourself. I'm sure Jesus burned ants as a kid too............

Jeff,

Calling children pieces of crap, for doing childish things is crossing the line bro. Get off your high horse, and keep your version of morality to yourself. I'm sure Jesus burned ants as a kid too............

So it's ok for everyone else to display their version of morality I guess?? It wasn't directed at the children, and you know that,.. they're only doing as they are taught. Don't try and read between the lines. And you're not sure about anything. Having basic respect for life is not being on a high horse.

And I'm not your "bro".

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

This is a thread about being a kid. Can we keep it in that context please? It doesn't need to become a morality or religious thread. NO ONE is perfect...we are ALL human.

Beth

No it's not about being a kid, it started out with someone saying an ADULT was TEACHING their child. If they do it on their own, yea I agree, then that is about being a kid.

Jeff

Yeah well, my mom send me into the garden with the jar to catch Japanese beetles to spare her roses, but I'm QUITE sure she was NOT the kind of person you described!

Thank you.

Beth

Two different scenarios all together Beth. I get rid of pests also. I used to pick potato bugs and put them into jars. I'm sure your mother didn't have malice in mind either. Just like my dad didn't have malice in mind when he showed me how to hunt.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

Anyone who is willfully torturing any life form are simply pieces of crap.

I guess we're all guilty of willfully torturing mold and mildew (life forms), with Hypochlorite. Now I really feel bad:lgtear:

I guess we're all guilty of willfully torturing mold and mildew (life forms), with Hypochlorite. Now I really feel bad:lgtear:

I also hunt, which is part of my life. I kill bees near my house to make for a safer environment. But you can't compare the scenarios, senseless as compared to necessary is the difference. Maybe you can't see that.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw