Sign in to follow this  
inigma701

can a lap mark be fixed/rubed out?

Question

can a lap mark be fixed/rubbed out?

I’d like to first start out by thanking EVERYONE whose threads, posts I’ve been reading over the last three years. If it weren’t for you, this site and willingness of everyone to share their knowledge my learning curve would have been a heck of a lot longer and I would have had a LOT less trials then errors. The experience I’ve gained from three years of pouring over EVERY thread and applying what I learned was invaluable. Saying that, I have my first dilemma and hope someone may have a solution. I stripped a rather large cedar deck last week that had a Behr semi-trans on it(amazing what they call semi..) deck looked fabulous when complete.. However, the day I stained it the weather started off warm and only got warmer then blistering hot... so by the time I was on the last 400 sq. ft. of decking the wood was baking and I was only able to stain 2 lengths of boards at a time(airless w/back padding) there is one small area where the stain literally dried before I could get back to continue the padding(30-40 seconds) thus causing a lap mark, can this be fixed? Can I rub it down with lacquer thinner to try and smooth/blend it? The stain was a oxford brown, Olympic Maximum semi… any insight would be greatly appreciated…

And again thank you ALL ….

Artie, Aqua-Clean

1 answer to this question

Certain stains have the characteristic ability to darken the wood as they cure and once this happens, any further application without completing the board will result in lap marks.( -------==-------- ) Others don't have the ability to absorb themselves once the product has begun to set up.

Lap marks are a nature of the beast according to product being applied.

Getting rid of lap marks using mineral spirits, thinners, Xylene, goof off etc. are just some of the ideas you may get here, but be careful, what you do may also affect the finish and longevity of it as well.

My suggestion is to follow the labeled directions to remove them if prescribed there, otherwise, you may need to virtually strip the affected areas and recoat with a blending technique.

Once you take care of that issue try this to avoid the problem in the future; Once you start a board, finish the board. Never do a series of 'cutting in' (working the edges of a large area first then coating the rest of the section). Keep mineral spirits on hand to help with any over applications and over-lapping before the product sets up. Put any rags used in the clean up process in a bucket of water to avoid spontaneous combustion.

Rod!~