Sign in to follow this  
Rob R.

Aluminum vinyl siding..

Question

I gave an estimate today to do a large duplex with what appeared to be vinyl and HO told me pre estimate it was vinyl, but found it was aluminum siding, has alot of mold on the side of the home.. I gently rubbed my thumb on the siding and the dirt/mold did not want to come off which normally would on regular vinyl and just left a slight chalk residue on my thumb.. What will I need to do differently if anything to make sure this siding comes just as clean as any other regular vinyl siding home?

thanks in advance for any advice!

I might add, I have done regular aluminum before (mobile home) with just bleach (owner provided and applied with a pump up) but this was just to do a quick clean to prep for paint no mold or mildew was on the home..

Edited by Rob R.

6 answers to this question

Be careful,,,lower pressure,,weakest chem solution you think will do the job...Check insurance and charge more and explain there is a risk their house might come out looking like an Air Stream trailer. Shoot that sucker from across the street. (no wand marks) If you even think their going to be picky...pass on the job....

Note I have not done one of these but I have read several places about how easy they are to mark with wand marks and or completely wash the paint off. I don't think I would do one before making sure the HO knew how touchy it can be. I would just use Dawn soap with a weak bleach solution to kill the mold. Let dwell awhile so the bleach will kill the mold but don't let dry. Charge more because you'll be taking your time maybe doing it twice. Explain to HO you'll be going slow and gentle, maybe having to wash it twice, hence the higher price. And that anyone that under bids you might not understand what their dealing with and might wind up costing them a lot more in the long run.

Yea my first concern is careful to make no wand marks and ultimately the dirt/mold not coming off which is of course the biggest concern for the HO.. When I did a deck recently the HO wanted me to try and clean there dirty siding as well but knew aluminum siding would be no easy task and let the HO know that in advance, of course it did not come clean hardly at all after doing a small test area..

Just got another phone call and sounds like another similar home with same siding so if I can figure out the best attack, I can take care of both next week..

Edited by Rob R.

TEST PATCH - TEST PATCH - TEST PATCH

Do what they all say above, but do a test patch for the prospective customer. Show them how clean it can come, that way if the oxidation is too severe you know and so do they before you begin. Plenty of aluminum sided homes are past the point where they can be washed. I just did one last week... if you got the siding wet and rubbed your finger along it, the paint came completely off... but using VERY gentle pressure and NO chemicals that remove oxidation (i.e.- hydroxides and butyls), I was able to make the home look very nice (not like a vinyl home, but not dirty anymore). Used ONLY simple cherry and 12.5% downstreamed.

Be careful on aluminum as said above. I average about one aluminum sided home a week over the summer - no one else around here will touch them. As long as you test patch and give the customer realistic expectations, your results can be good and you can have a happy customer that can put off painting (or switching to vinyl siding) for a few more years.

Edited by Gutter Squad