Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Tried Wood Sentry from ACR Products

Question

We just tried Wood Sentry from ACR Products ACR PRODUCTS and were very pleased. The deck below was stripped, it had paint on it in very good condition. We used HD-80 boosted with ACR Products 633-ADD to remove the paint. You can see the before, during, after the strip and the final seal job with Wood Sentry. Rod will elaborate about his experience with it.

Beth

-Rod-

Wood Sentry applied very well but did penetrate quite readily. The pics show the result of 2 applications. The initial application soaked in and became somewhat dull, the 2nd application produced the finish you see in the last two pics.

Wood Sentry set up quickly and within the time it took to clean up the equipment (sprayer, brushes etc) it was ready to be walked on. No foot prints left behind and for the sake of a final appearance, the last pic shows more light and is a good representation of the finish. The 2nd to the last pic had a flash used to improve the exposure because the porch was shadowed.

We did one other deck as well and the results were the same on the floor. The rails turned out well after one application but the floor needed a 2nd coat to bring out the color better.

The quick set time was what I liked to see because it makes it easier to go onto the deck and pull plastic from the side of the house without the fear of leaving foot prints in the finish. Cleanup was using a degreaser solution and water.

The pictured deck is 304 sqft and the total product applied was 1.75 gallons. That comes out to around 173 sqft/gal. which isn't bad considering two applications both of which were back-brushed with 6" china bristle brushes.

We installed some new wood on the floor and replaced about half of the rail caps of another deck. Once sanded they absorbed Wood Sentry better but to be honest, I like the look on older wood as it really presents better on it. The new wood having a green tint to it made the finish look odd. Of course I have noticed this with other products and prefer to wash new wood before sealing it anyway. This helps to remove some of the greenish tint that can detract from the color of the finish.

At this point, I will leave it to others to look, ask and decide for themselves and allow anyone else who may have tried this product to add their commentary.

Rod!~

post-1-137772210366_thumb.jpg

post-1-13777221037_thumb.jpg

post-1-137772210374_thumb.jpg

post-1-137772210377_thumb.jpg

post-1-137772210381_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beth n Rod
2nd additional comments

22 answers to this question

Beth,

Hmmm. That label looks somewhat familiar. Very nice 5 gallon quick pour bucket. And that color name sounds like something I've heard before. Strange.

Any other colors available? Personally, do not like the orange-yellow look.

Edited by RPetry
punctuation

I believe Tom is working on more colors. You should ask him.

Gold is a popular color...you can tint it if you like. (we plan to)

Have you tried a pail yet? You should! It's nice to have options.

Beth

Beth,

Still have about 7 gals. of "that other brand" to work through. Will certainly try it on hardwoods. But I'll need some help on pigments and tinting.

Beth,

Still have about 7 gals. of "that other brand" to work through. Will certainly try it on hardwoods. But I'll need some help on pigments and tinting.

Just so you know Rick it is not Wood Tux. It is a completely different formula but does have similar aspects such as applying to damp wood.

Just so you know Rick it is not Wood Tux. It is a completely different formula but does have similar aspects such as applying to damp wood.

Scott,

Beg to differ but it ain't real far from the horse's mouth. At least the original colt that ran in the Derby.

I bet you would! :lol: Didn't you get a pail from Tom?

Beth

Beth,

No need at the moment. ACR had WS in stock and displayed when I was last up there.

Does a certain chemist come to mind? Hah!

We just tried Wood Sentry from ACR Products ACR PRODUCTS and were very pleased. The deck below was stripped, it had paint on it in very good condition. We used HD-80 boosted with ACR Products 633-ADD to remove the paint. You can see the before, during, after the strip and the final seal job with Wood Sentry. Rod will elaborate about his experience with it.

Beth

-Rod-

Wood Sentry applied very well but did penetrate quite readily. The pics show the result of 2 applications. The initial application soaked in and became somewhat dull, the 2nd application produced the finish you see in the last two pics.

Wood Sentry set up quickly and within the time it took to clean up the equipment (sprayer, brushes etc) it was ready to be walked on. No foot prints left behind and for the sake of a final appearance, the last pic shows more light and is a good representation of the finish. The 2nd to the last pic had a flash used to improve the exposure because the porch was shadowed.

We did one other deck as well and the results were the same on the floor. The rails turned out well after one application but the floor needed a 2nd coat to bring out the color better.

The quick set time was what I liked to see because it makes it easier to go onto the deck and pull plastic from the side of the house without the fear of leaving foot prints in the finish. Cleanup was using a degreaser solution and water.

The pictured deck is 304 sqft and the total product applied was 1.75 gallons. That comes out to around 173 sqft/gal. which isn't bad considering two applications both of which were back-brushed with 6" china bristle brushes.

We installed some new wood on the floor and replaced about half of the rail caps of another deck. Once sanded they absorbed Wood Sentry better but to be honest, I like the look on older wood as it really presents better on it. The new wood having a green tint to it made the finish look odd. Of course I have noticed this with other products and prefer to wash new wood before sealing it anyway. This helps to remove some of the greenish tint that can detract from the color of the finish.

At this point, I will leave it to others to look, ask and decide for themselves and allow anyone else who may have tried this product to add their commentary.

Rod!~

What did you use to spray with?