Sign in to follow this  
outdrsee1

Feedback about a large bid

Hello everyone,

I'm going to be bidding on a subdivision of 80 single level homes. They want the gutters and window cleaning done three times a year. My question is, how much of a discount is reasonable, but without underbidding? Is there a formula that anyone likes to use? I've been in business for quite somtime, but have never bid on a job this large. Thanks for your advice!

Hello everyone,

I'm going to be bidding on a subdivision of 80 single level homes. They want the gutters and window cleaning done three times a year. My question is, how much of a discount is reasonable, but without underbidding? Is there a formula that anyone likes to use? I've been in business for quite somtime, but have never bid on a job this large. Thanks for your advice!

Are you washing the houses, or just doing the gutters and windows? and who is paying? the homeowners themselves, or the property management company?

Our core business is Window Cleaning and if I could give you a few tips:

1) On a large project like this don't charge by the window. Figure out how long it will take you to do the job and base it off what your time is worth.

2) For 3 time a year service WE would probably offer up approx 20% discount off of the 1 time clean rate.

3) Get a signed contract. It is very common in window cleaning for a customer to think they need it 3 or 4 times a year and then decide after the second service that they wont be needing it again this year.

Do you have access to a Water fed pole? This would be great for a job like this. You would clean it nose to glass the first time around then breeze through the next time with your WFP.

I agree with Chris.

Look out for the scenario where they work you hard on the price based on three times a year service and then bail after the first service or put you off until next year.

For any type of bid- only offer discounts on subsequent services, never on the first one. It's an old, dirty trick that still works too many times.