Sign in to follow this  
ezdayman

sonic resturants

Question

My brother and I went to go do a bid for our new sonics resturant this morning and so I went with and seen a guy pressure washing there driveway you could tell it was hot water cause of the steam. I asked the lady that is going to take care of the sonics in minnesota if they need pressure washing work and she said No, Sonics installs hot water pressure washers in there building and the connections are in a little metal box on the outside... She said all sonics in minnesota will have this feature! Nice but also sucks too. just wondering if you have seen this option on new buildings?

25 answers to this question

A Pilot fuel station near here has that set-up. I have seen them pressure washing the concrete when I leave hood jobs. they do a good job. does it take a certification class to learn how to make the fancy designs with the pressure washer? Why don't they reclaim the dirty water. Why do they leave the gum?

They just remodeled my local Sonic a few months ago. The new design looked really good at first, but now its filthy. I've never seen anyone clean it. When I introduced myself to the manager last month, I asked about washing their concrete and building. She said: "We just let the rain keep it rinsed off."

I talked to her about the importance of keeping a clean building/workplace, especially a restaurant. No dice. They probably wouldn't pay it anyway, gum is very heavy and everywhere.

All the ones here in my area have the PW built in. But from the looks of the stores either they forget they are there or really dont care because they are some of the most filthy fast food places in town.

But when i ask they pull the Ol "no we do that in house" hehehe Not even going to offer a Demo for them cause you catch attitude in them right off the bat.

I was at the drive through at Chicken Express recently and saw they had high pressure hook ups in the side of the wall. Never seen them use it though. They will probably resort back to contractors in the future when some 16 year old kid blows a co workers eye out horsing around with it.

they have the same set up here they never use it. All the stores look like crap, but the food is great

You or your wife (auants uncle cousins everyone) ask for a mngr next time you there (not in company truck) and tell them the place is nasty and before you order your wondering if the inside is as nasty as the outside.

Good point mud duck ill get my all my buddies to say that to the manager.Im sure that after a few complaints they will do something about it.if not no big deal most places around here look like that anyway.

they have the same set up here they never use it. All the stores look like crap, but the food is great

FWIW

I have a friend who has a teenaged daughter that used to work at the local Sonic. She quit working there because she felt guilty serving food that was prepared in such filthy conditions.

I took her word for it.......I no longer eat a Sonic. Before I heard this inside info I thought that their food was just "so so" at best anyway.

We are getting two new Sonics this year. I will check your info out. Everybody is cutting cost!

Actually, They probably aren't trying to cut costs but were SOLD by a Manufacturer or Vendor. They were pitched that this would help cut costs. Again, different goals by distributors than of contractors.

Actually, They probably aren't trying to cut costs but were SOLD by a Manufacturer or Vendor. They were pitched that this would help cut costs. Again, different goals by distributors than of contractors.

Your probably exactly spot on with that. Everyone "knows" hey its a drive in where everyone throws raw crap out the window so it HAS to be cleaned up a lot. Makes a good sales pitch for for the building contractor for sure but Mr. Corp didn't realize in the end it's left up the a Manager to get it done. But Mr. Manger doesn't have time or inclination to do it or trust his 6.00 hr kids to run the thing knowing they would get someone hurt or something tore up. Or look like crap with wand marks everywhere from the zero tip after the first time it was done. So it doesn't get done and now corp wont budget any money for us because it supposed to be a "non issue" anymore. Progress...got a love it. Someone needs to find a way to start a dialog back up the chain of command about how dangerous it could be for someone not trained in chems and high pressure. Maybe a letter from one of our orginizations like PWNC for example.

Also might be worth trying to get one of the Managers to admit it and you could do the job with "their" equiptment and just show up with your surface cleaner and bid the price low enough to be worth it to him. No set up or tear down just throw your surface cleaner back in the truck and go on. For slow times or winter work anyway.

FYI, you know restaurants have to post there health inspection ratings, but have you noticed with ones like Sonic thier boards are inside where you can never see them! They are never on the outside glass facing out to the customers. Makes you wonder doesn't it?

A lot of managers at fast food restaurants make their bonus based on the store's profit. It's that manager that doesn't want his profit lowered by hiring you guys and getting the cleaning done right.

From the window in my office at our old location I could see the drive through at a chain called "BackYard Burgers". Every so often the manager would be hanging out the pick-up window while he supervised the newest employee trying to clean the pad by the window with a bucket and mop.

Probably the same thing at the Sonics. Only this time they are having to pay an employee to clean when the store is closed. Can't be cuttin' into that bonus now, can we?

I agree that most Sonics do look nasty, but I like the food, and Happy Hour on a hot afternoon.

Stay safe & hydrated,

Chuck

I agree if you saying it not going to be cheaper, I have a similiar Story about Chili's. They did install a few as a trial, its costed 200 times what a service costs over a two year period. The system was almost 50 g's. the annual maint on the unit was 19.

I the labor and chemical was not even included in the failure.

I 'm not saying this wont work on a business, i dont think its going to be cheaper.

And the store still failed and outside clean inspection by headquarters.

I think thats what rocked them.

I stopped into a Sonic Restaurant recently after seeing how dirty there outdoor seating area was. I asked for the manager to see if they would be interested in my pressure washing services. Here comes the manager, maybe 19 years old. I couldn't even hold an adult conversation with her. I stopped talking and left her with my card. She probably put her chewing gum in it and threw it away. She was able to tell me that they use a garden hose on occassion to get up some of the ketchup on the concrete. Oh yeah, I NEVER eat there either.

wow, Isn't it great dealing with someone in a head position that is barely out of highschool? I am trying to get some commercial work up here in PA, but of all the phone calls i've made i get the secretary, who won't transfer me to a decision maker, telling me they don't need my services. I hate dealing with people who don't know anything.

wow, Isn't it great dealing with someone in a head position that is barely out of highschool? I am trying to get some commercial work up here in PA, but of all the phone calls i've made i get the secretary, who won't transfer me to a decision maker, telling me they don't need my services. I hate dealing with people who don't know anything.

The secretary is probably just following orders. I went to a bank one day to discuss fire extinguishers. The rerceptionist listened to me and then went down the hall into an office. She returned and told me the person I needed to talk to was not in. I looked at her and aked how she liked working for a person who told her to lie for him. She just smiled and I left.

We did a bunch of them one time in the Tampa Bay area of FL on the promise that they would sign a contract after they see our work. They just wanted them all cleaned up because they were so bad, of course no contract..go fiqure..

post-1950-137772220798_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Cleaner

I actually met the guy over Sonic remodels here in AL when they were remodeling our local grease pit. They were installing the pressure wash units in it. He saw my truck and asked for a quote so the place could start fresh for turning the cleaning over to in house. He gave me a list of stores/towns to quote with upcoming remodels. We talked about the employee use of those things and he said they basically burn up the pumps the first couple of uses and then they go back to thier old way of cleaning - NONE. They didn't go for my really reasonable figures. He told they were too cheap to do much. I'll avoid them unless I get really slow.

I actually met the guy over Sonic remodels here in AL when they were remodeling our local grease pit. They were installing the pressure wash units in it. He saw my truck and asked for a quote so the place could start fresh for turning the cleaning over to in house. He gave me a list of stores/towns to quote with upcoming remodels. We talked about the employee use of those things and he said they basically burn up the pumps the first couple of uses and then they go back to their old way of cleaning - NONE. They didn't go for my really reasonable figures. He told they were too cheap to do much. I'll avoid them unless I get really slow.

He didn't want a "quote" he just hosed you to get some figures to put together about how much money they were "saving" the company by putting them in. To make himself look good in his oporations VP eyes...Bet that convo started with,,,

"Yea I did some RESEARCH and heres how much money YOUR IDEA is saving the company..:lglolly:

As soon as you said "he saw my truck and wanted a quote"....I knew what was about to happen..LOL...Man never had any intentions on hiring you do to anything...I hate those bastards that waist your time like that....I would have written a letter to the ops VP myself and told him what the guy did and said and asked him point blank were they really looking to get someone to do it for "a clean start"...And attached a $429.32 invoice for the time spent in good faith figuring up the quote he ASKED FOR and apparently had no intentions of acepting anyway...

The sonics in eastern NC are gross. The pressure washer system at the one in Moyoc NC is 3 years old and still has the plastic cover and rubber band over it next to the back door.The hoods were all I was intrested in and they were flat out trashed. I looked over they system and measured almost 3 inches on buildup on the verticle off the grill. The concrete looked like a gypsy jiffy lube had worked the lot for a few days then rolled off to another town.