Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

Am i the only one dumb enough to:

Question

30 answers to this question

soak a rag in mineral spirits and stuff it in my pocket?

That hurts, Man!

For some reason, I do it every deck as I try to avoid them sitting in the sun and catching fire. I mean every time. I need to posting a sign on my own job site - "Do not, under any circumstances, jam soaked rags into pockets!"

Years ago, I was doing irrigation repair job, spilled a can of pvc primer on my crotch area. It was NOT very funny. I drove myself to the ER. I was hurting and crying so much, I could not explain to them what happened to me. Then, like all ER's, they wanted me to wait to see a doctor......I caused such a scene that they ended up calling security, it was not a good scene.

dumb maneuvers? pulled out of the gas station with the pump still engaged in my truck's tank. The station attendant and the nice soccer mom in the Volvo at the pump behind me were thoroughly entertained.

In high school I watched the shop teacher take a staple gun to one of the bus drivers who was sitting spraddle legged on a bench, slammed it down in between his legs playing like he was going to staple his u know what. Well.......he missed his aim and did staple his go nads to the table. They had to cut his pants off and pry them lose with a screw driver. Still makes me laugh thinking about it.

In my high school years, I used to smoke and owned a zippo lighter. Well, it got bent a little at one time and I needed to fill it and afterwards, it leaked into my pants pocket and burned the heck out of my leg. One of the main reasons I went to a leather belt holder for my cigs and lighter.

Thankfully, I quit all that back in '96 but the memory is still there.

Rod!~

In my high school years, I used to smoke and owned a zippo lighter. Well, it got bent a little at one time and I needed to fill it and afterwards, it leaked into my pants pocket and burned the heck out of my leg. One of the main reasons I went to a leather belt holder for my cigs and lighter.

Thankfully, I quit all that back in '96 but the memory is still there.

Rod!~

What!!! No Lawyer? No class action suite? How un American!!! Those were the days,,, when you could do something stupid but were smart enough to JUST not do it again...LOL No more live and learn it's live and litigate!!!

Bryan, I have an idea for you for the rags. My Dad always had an old coffee can he had drilled large air holes around the middle that he had put s hooks on the top edge. He would hang it on the ladder he was using or what ever else near him as he worked and would toss the rags in there. Kept them close but off and out of his clothes. He did a lot of mechanical and wood working so he alway had rags soaked with somekind of flamable liquid or compound on it.

I had a lot of funny events happen while building my house. It’s the first house I ever built so things didn’t always go so smooth.

I ended up buying the lot next to my new house for extra space and not to get a neighbor next door. Problem was the tall pine trees on that lot. I bought a new chainsaw and 100 feet of rope, tied one end to the saw and the other end to the belt loop of my cut-off shorts and started climbing way way up. When I got to the top I pulled up my chainsaw with the rope and started limbing the tree. Keep in mind it’s in the middle of July and real hot. Real hot. So hot that I wasn’t wearing a shirt and was “commando” style under those cutoffs. One of those tree limbs that I cut off got caught in the rope on its way towards the ground and ripped the chainsaw out of my hand. I stood on a large branch watching my new saw and a tree limb race their way to the ground. I quickly remembered that the rope was stilled fastened to my shorts. ... Rip. Moments later I found myself naked in the tree. It gets worse still. Of course the neighbors saw me climbing down the tree naked and pulled their children into their homes. With only 10 feet left to go I slipped and fell out of the tree landing inches away from my still running chainsaw. I got up and ran to the back door of my house but the door was locked. This meant I had to go around to the front door which is near a rather busy street at 5:30 pm. Rush hour.

I’ll have to post the air conditioner story next time, or maybe the one about tarring the foundation with an S10 blazer and a 6 pack of Bud, or lighting the roof on fire with an explosion from the backyard. Many more. I’ll never build my own house again.

Edited by Rick2

Thats way too funny. Never a dull moment with you aye Rick? LOL. It sounds like a book is in order...." Things NOT to do when building your own house". I bet it would be a best seller!

I’m glad I could be your entertainment center this morning J. I’ll have to type out the air conditioner story tonight.

Brent, the car is my British Spitfire. Lots of fun to drive and a trophy or two at the car shows. The company has been out of business for quite a while and the car is 33 years old. I bought it 9 years ago as a total basket case and spent 2 years restoring it and I truly don’t want to know how much money was spent. Getting to your destination is not always guaranteed. Two days ago it stranded my a few miles from home but it was an easy fix, just a clogged fuel filter. It does like mechanical attention, usually minor tinkering.

Funny I just bought a new Husky 445 chain saw Wed and went around the property "playing" with it but was saved by my wife who finally "insisted" I come in,,,LOL She said she looked out across the pasture and saw me sawing on a leaning 60ft tree with one hand wide open and a beer in the other (knowing it was my 8th beer and first chain saw) and got scared....LOL....Woman...they do come in handy sometimes..

Later tonight I'll tell you how I blew a hole through my index finger with a powerwasher, if I can stay awake that long. Racles Flat concert tonight.

I was cutting trees down at my dads house in NC and cut a rather large lightning damaged tree that was right next to the house. I tied a rope to the tree and cinched it tight to a tree so it would fall in the opposite direction of the house. I didnt get it quite tight enough and when I cut through it started toward the house! I got behind it and was pushing against it when my 75 year old dad came around the corner. he took my place while I cinched the rope tighter and got it to pull the correct direction till it fell. Whew! I was lucky that day.

During my first season in business, was stripping a solid oil off of a deck, using too much pressure and retail stripper. Had a short, 18" flex lance on the PW gun, bent at an angle to reach a tight area of the balustrade.

Something happened, not sure what, but my left hand slipped off of the lance, right into the tip of the wand.

I cannot describe the excrutiating pain of having high pressure water injected into a open wound. The tip ripped a 3 inch gash in my hand.

Immediately dropped the gun and started screaming "Motherf'er, Motherf'er" while jumping up and down on the deck, holding tight to my injured hand.

Customer runs out of the house in a panic, with blood flying everywhere. On the deck, side of the house, and on her!

Needless to say, I never received a call back for maintenance.

I was using a backpack chemical sprayer to remove a stubborn stain on a house when the tip became clogged. I removed the tip and thought I’d just run some water through it from the powerwasher’s gun. The washer was off but I had forgotten to release the pressure from it. When I pulled the trigger to let the water gently flow through the tip of the chemical sprayer, well, you know what happened. Blew a hole right through my finger. Top of the finger was just gone. I could see the sun through my finger tip.

The top of the finger grew back but still, 10 years later, I have no feeling at the tip or the left side of my index finger.