Sign in to follow this  
814jeffw

An option for those struggling......

Question

OK, this is for those in this business who may be struggling with getting enough work. First things first though, this is NOT meant to bring on a debate about methods, it is meant to give those who are struggling and want to stay in this business an option for getting more work and also repeat work. Pressure washing outfits seem to be everywhere and they are always competing with each other for the work that a particular area can provide. The best way is to set yourself apart from the others who are doing it, and that means raising the bar a bit. Take yourself out of the "typical" pressure washing business form. Turn into a technician instead of seeing how much money you can make per hour. And in my opinion the easiest way to raise the bar is to start brush washing the entire house. This is not hard when using the proper brushes. Also use ladders when needed, ladders are meant to be climbed on and are very safe when properly used. Go up the ladder and push up screens so you can clean the window area properly. You don't take the pressure wand up the ladder with you, you need a dedicated chemical sprayer with plenty of hose and a stationary chemical tank. The chemical wand is what you will take up the ladder when need be. You rinse from the ground. Brush washing will set the bar way high for the guys your competing with. I know there are those who are gonna say this is senseless and that they can clean with chemicals alone,.... but whether you can clean without doing this is beside the point. The point is public perception, people like to see a brush and soap bubbles, if you look as though your more detailed than the next "pressure washer" you will get the call more likely than not. I even seen on a thread where someone gets a brush out and leans it somewhere noticeable to the customer, just so it looks like they're brush washing. It takes me approximately 3-4 hours on a two story house, ($300-$500) been doing it for 12 years so I have gotten considerably faster from when I started. BUT I set the bar a long time ago and it wasn't on purpose, I've heard it many times over the years from customers and just the public in general,...which is why I like to say "I don't compete with anyone, they compete with me". Washing businesses here come and go,I have a strong customer base and my method makes it hard for those who aren't doing what I do to get much work from me. Again this was meant for those who are having trouble in this business, I guarantee it will help your business. So what if you work a little harder than you figured you were gonna have to. I feel really good about this method and credit it for keeping my business going and keeping others who wash in my zone struggling. You just have to set the bar higher sometimes.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

77 answers to this question

OK, this is for those in this business who may be struggling with getting enough work. First things first though, this is NOT meant to bring on a debate about methods, it is meant to give those who are struggling and want to stay in this business an option for getting more work and also repeat work.

Pressure washing outfits seem to be everywhere and they are always competing with each other for the work that a particular area can provide. The best way is to set yourself apart from the others who are doing it, and that means raising the bar a bit.

Take yourself out of the "typical" pressure washing business form. Turn into a technician instead of seeing how much money you can make per hour. And in my opinion the easiest way to raise the bar is to start brush washing the entire house. This is not hard when using the proper brushes.

Also use ladders when needed, ladders are meant to be climbed on and are very safe when properly used. Go up the ladder and push up screens so you can clean the window area properly. You don't take the pressure wand up the ladder with you, you need a dedicated chemical sprayer with plenty of hose and a stationary chemical tank. The chemical wand is what you will take up the ladder when need be. You rinse from the ground. Brush washing will set the bar way high for the guys your competing with.

I know there are those who are gonna say this is senseless and that they can clean with chemicals alone,.... but whether you can clean without doing this is beside the point. The point is public perception, people like to see a brush and soap bubbles, if you look as though your more detailed than the next "pressure washer" you will get the call more likely than not.

I even seen on a thread where someone gets a brush out and leans it somewhere noticeable to the customer, just so it looks like they're brush washing.

It takes me approximately 3-4 hours on a two story house, ($300-$500) been doing it for 12 years so I have gotten considerably faster from when I started. BUT I set the bar a long time ago and it wasn't on purpose, I've heard it many times over the years from customers and just the public in general,...which is why I like to say "I don't compete with anyone, they compete with me". Washing businesses here come and go,I have a strong customer base and my method makes it hard for those who aren't doing what I do to get much work from me.

Again this was meant for those who are having trouble in this business, I guarantee it will help your business. So what if you work a little harder than you figured you were gonna have to. I feel really good about this method and credit it for keeping my business going and keeping others who wash in my zone struggling. You just have to set the bar higher sometimes.

Jeff

Jeff, I had to add some spaces to make paragraphs for readability so I did it in a quote rather than editing your post. You have made some very sensible posts in the past and I just wanted to be able to read what you had to say.

Now that I have had the chance to read it I like what you are trying to convey. In a perfect home lot situation anyone would be able to do what you are stating above. However, just for consideration, there are a considerable amount of homes whose landscaping, terrain and proximity to other dwellings would make ladder use virtually impossible if not dangerous for not only set up but ascension as well. Not to mention the number of homes with multilevel roofs with siding above them which only complicate the use of ladders or walking on them once a slippery cleaning solution is introduced.

In our area there are a majority of homes that are built on ridges of hills and the front is normally level with a second story. But, as you go around the sides toward the back, the land begins to drop with grades as steep as 12% which makes setting up a ladder an OSHA violation to begin with without a roofing harness for fall protection.

This adds a second difficulty factor as the tops of the peaks of the roofs can be as much as 3 and a half stories depending on the grade and the slope of the roof is literally un-walkable in order to reach a point where one can install an anchor for the fall protection harness to attach to.

The amount of time necessary to install and remove all of the necessary fall protection devices plus the cleat installation which means drilling holes in the roofs and caulking afterwards to seal the holes can take a couple of hours alone.

This adds an uncertainty factor into the equation of the homeowner being nervous about their roof leaking in the future, the possibility of a person falling off of their home and whether or not that person knows what they are doing to begin with.

The costs you have mentioned are not bad but with all the extra time considered in the OSHA compliant measures, the insurance costs for workers traversing roofs is considerably higher. Unless one has a company that washes houses as a majority of their services provided, the costs would not be justifiable.

I am not debating what you have posted but pointing out that your method may not be feasible for all contractors to employ and perhaps this will provide some insight for you to consider in future posts that could help others who would like to try your method to deal with the situations and conditions I have brought to light here.

None the less, good post.

Rod!~

Yea Rod I agree 100% on the safety issue when the use of ladders is considered, and I'm not saying to risk your neck with a particular landscape, and I have seen some ugly situations myself (not to many though),...I then will just tell the customer the situation as it is. But for 98% of MY jobs ladder use and brush washing is very feasible. But I do understand we live in different environments that call for different measures when it comes to the work we do.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

Why not tell the customer that you 'brush' - put a brush on a pole - and then use it for those annoying spots that don't come out easily? I for one don't want to go back to brushing - I use to do that for pre-paint prep with my exterior repaints - but I had pump jacks and scaffolding set up on all four sides, along with ladders, 5 gallon buckets of solution, pump up sprayers, man gives me nightmares!

What does it matter what method we use, as long as we're professionals? This goes back to justifying to the customer the particulars of your process. Like softwashing, no pressure roof washing, etc. These are all done to differentiate ourselves from the 'hacks'. But hopefully one day, customers won't care what we do, as long as we get the job done. Why should a professional have to tell consumers the nitty gritty of our process? If we're professionals, we will be doing things correctly.

Now Brushing is a great way to clean stuff up with lower chem concentrations. If you want to sell that to chemically conscience folks - that I think would work. But my housewash mix which is basically a rip-off of Bob from PTSTATE has never done harm to any landscape whatsover. I have never had any bad side effects - it's a proven process. I still have painter friends with pump up spayers, 5 gallon buckets chained up to the top of their ladders with deck scrubbers - buring vegetation all the time! I know guys that have stopped using chems altogether! Downstreaming has been so succesful - why go back? Like I said - tell 'em you brush, and if they see you not brushing, tell 'em that you brush - but that doesn't mean you brush everything! Just the pesky spots.

Hi Dan, I've never done it any other way than the way I do it now, so going "back" to brushing isn't an issue with me. As I said, this is not up for debate, do it how you choose. This post was meant to show those struggling with getting work an option for raising the bar higher. And, in my opinion the public in general sees brush washing as a better way of doing it, which in turn raises the bar simply because it looks like you're doing some work to get their siding clean. It can't be disputed with me simply because I know what I've seen and heard over the years. You can tell me all day long that your results are as good as mine, and I won't argue,...but I believe my phone will ring more simply because of what I'm selling. And that's what I'm talking about here, going further than the next guy to get work. Telling them you brush to get the job and then brushing only the pesky spots is deceptive and they may be disappointed in your not being totally honest, and they may not call back next time. Kinda' like the guy leaning the brush in a visible spot and using it enough to say they brushed,...which both of these things lends credence as to what I'm saying with this whole thread. If you want to put a hurtin' on your competition,... start brush washing. I won't argue your method, if your getting lots of work on a regular basis and haven't any real competition then that's great!!

Just want to add: I invite customers to watch me if they want, simply to show them my method and let them see first hand that I'm not just another guy with a washer looking for the fast buck, and lets face it this business is crawling with guys like that. You have to put yourself noticeably above the others. I don't have to hide my method or use deceptive wording to get work. And I like the customer to see what they're getting. I've changed the whole way the public looks at pressure washing in my area. And it's funny because people start this up every year and think what I do is to much work,but then they kinda' just fade away. They're not willing to do a couple extra hours of work to keep their business.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

I agree with you about perception, Jeff. But what I've noticed is that the customers that say, 'you brush, don't you?' tend to be the most condescending disprespectful folks I run into. I don't want those customers. The other day I washed a house - I will post pics - it was the hardest house I've washed so far - I didn't brush, but it took 3-1/2 hrs plus 45 minutes of setting up and breakdown. And the guy paid me nearly 5 bills - and told me an honest day's pay for an honest days' work as he handed me the check. He was not only grateful - he was almost indebted to me, in a way similar if you served a homeless person a bowl of hot chilli on a cold winter night. He never asked about brushing - only was thankful about the results.

I understand your position Jeff - and if that works, great. I just think there are other avenues of selling than doing extra physical work that don't yield better results, unless you are prepping vinyl to be painted. I can do 2 house washes in the same time it takes you to do one house wash - with all the drive time included. I would just like you to see you market differently - do half the work - and make twice as much money. I kind of think you selling 'brushing' is kind of like guys in my area selling 'hot' water.

What this boils down to Jeff, the 'brushing' thing is basically about jealousy. A homeowner might take 2 weeks or more to wash their 2 story home. With downstreaming you can do the same job in 1-2 hours. Folks get mad because they think you are making 'easy' money - that why should you make $500 for an hour of work? And brushing a home - is showing the homeowner that indeed you are breaking your back to wash their home.

This is why I market to a different mindset. People that want my service, want the ease of mind that stuff will come clean, don't want any equipment on their property other than 2 hoses, and want me in and out as fast as possible. These people aren't in competition with me salary wise - they don't care if I gross $500/hr. They understand this is business - I have a friend that can take down 100 yr. old silver maple, haul away everthing, and chip the stump - and do everything in 2 hours flat! Does that mean he only charge $40/hr for those 2 hours? He is giving folks a service of speed, efficiency, and safety. They pay several thousands of dollars for his 2 hours - and are not jealous of the money he makes either. They understand that his 2 hours of work is worlds apart than their 2 hours at the office.

If brushing keeps the other guy knocked down and keeps my phone ringing then that's what's important. You can only do two jobs a day if the phone is ringing. If your local competitor is brushing and the customer would prefer brushing then that competitor will be eating your lunch. Slow and steady will win the race. You (generally speaking) may be able to do two house in a day but at the end of the month the guy brush washing may have done 15 houses in 15 days and you did 8 in 4 days. In the end though the guy brushing will make more money because he sold a better overall service. That's the point I'm making I guess.

Jeff

If brushing keeps the other guy knocked down and keeps my phone ringing then that's what's important. You can only do two jobs a day if the phone is ringing. If your local competitor is brushing and the customer would prefer brushing then that competitor will be eating your lunch. Slow and steady will win the race. You (generally speaking) may be able to do two house in a day but at the end of the month the guy brush washing may have done 15 houses in 15 days and you did 8 in 4 days. In the end though the guy brushing will make more money because he sold a better overall service. That's the point I'm making I guess.

Jeff

Jeff good post even though I disagree with that above big time. The people I deal with want the job done right and also want you out as soon as possible. I love when I here guys are brushing in this business to clean entire houses..I say good for them and great for me. I'll go in a neighborhood with my two guys and we will clean a few houses on one block in a short period of time where a guy thats scrubbing will be there all day breaking his BACK to clean there house. Generally pressure washing when done right with the right chemicals will out clean Brushing any day of the week on most jobs. Also the long term results of you brushing entire houses will have disastrous results to your physical well being. I know you say this is not open for a debate so we will leave it at that. If it works for you then do whats best for you and yours.......

P/S-If you got a job to clean entire Condo complexes you'd be married to that job for a long long time. We clean them as nice as we do single homes....with the same methods. In your case your method in my eyes would be daunting to say the least...I would hate that job and the money they pay to get these Condo's clean would no-way sacrifice the LABOR INTENSITY that your method has..........

Edited by John T

I have never been asked to brush a house,and if someone did my price would be the same per hour, but twice as many hours.

I see the value of leading homeowners to percieve the labor in washing a house and that may deter them from doing it.I believe I'm there to clean thier house period,if I can clean it from the ground than I do,if I need a ladder I use it,but I don't go out of my way to create unneccesary labor for myself.I that you want to appear busy by your saying you would rather do 15 houses in 15 days than 8 house in 4 days.I may be wrong but I need to make as much money doing the least amount of work while pleasing my customer.

I see your way as a marketing tool but it doesn't fit for me.I would rather do the 8 houses in 4 days and find more work with the other 11 days or just go fishing and play some golf.LOL

Seriously I see that you are trying to add another tool to the younger guys tool box for marketing.

The only thing I brush is my wife and childrens hair, and dirt dobber nests, with good chemicals and the right education I don't see a need to brush houses. I want to add, I do 95% stucco houses in Florida.

Yea I know, this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about, that is what the guys around here think also. And it's what I'm trying to convey to anyone who may be struggling. More work can also mean more money at the end of the month!!

Jeff

What about adding this to the "Options" for the buy? Kinda like a detail wash or something like that...

That's not a bad idea, and I've considered it, but I built my business on doing what I do,..hard to change after 12 years,...just wouldn't feel right for me!! Brushing really isn't that hard, the cleaner does most of the work,and the phone rings and keeps the competition knocked down. But it may be something for anyone at least considering brushing to think about. At least get a feel for it. That was a good point Anthony!!

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

I'm just saying that it may be a good option for those that only pressure wash...give their customers an option. I think you're on to something Jeff ;)

Yea Anthony, I added to my post,...I was a little slow in getting your point.

Jeff

I know for a fact that with multiple chemical applications and brushing - I can even remove artillery fungus. Or with a litte sodium hydroxide and TSP and brushing along with high pressure - I can take off all the oxidation off of vinyl making it paint 'ready'. But to be practical for most cosmetic type washing I do now a days - I don't see the need for brushing. Jeff - I know exactly how you feel, I am right there with you in thinking that if the customer perceives you doing a better job - then you make more money. But I personally would hate going back to my older methods because my clients are second guessing my professionalism. If I can get a house clean, then what does it matter if I brush or not?

I will say this - the reason why most homeowners ask if you brush - is because alot of the hacks have been doing a terrible job lately. I am just finding out that they pressure wash homes without brushing - and the homes have mildew growing back like gang busters in as little as 3 months. This is why homeowners, at least in my area, have the perception that brushing is better. Selling them on brushing is one way of getting around this. Selling them on professionalism and guaranteed results is another.

I'd rather do 8 house washes in 4 days - and then schedule some profitable deck restorations for the other days - along with some fishing in between.

Hey Dan, for artillery fungus you don't need any chemicals at all. Use melamine and it will come right off every time. Takes about 5 seconds per spot. Very simple. But you need to tell the customer to rethink the use of mulch if they have this done, or they will be doing it again within a year most likely!!

Jeff

I always have a brush with me for house washes but only use it for gutters and spot cleaning. No one here has ever asked about brushing the whole house and I wouldn't want to. Good idea to separate your company from others if it works for you.

When we started the business, I decided to offer a variety of services and build the business around that goal. To be frank.... I will wash your dog if it will stand still and you will write me a check for it.

At every turn, look for ways to improve the services you offer. In 2006, we had massive flooding in upstate NY, we rolled the dice and purchased recovery equipment and steel eagle recover surface cleaners, having them shipped overnight express. We spent a bundle, but the return was great. Now we offer interior pressure washing and have done8 or nice cellars this year.

When I started, the one thing I stated that I would never do was paint. I love to stain, but hate to paint. For the past 3 years we stain cabins and whole houses. We are just finishing up 2 whole house stain projects (1 with sikkens and one with Sherwin Williams Woodscapes. As we are finishing up the stain job on the SW house, the next door neighbor came out and asked for a price to paint her house.

Guess what.... I am now a painter with a pressure washer. We will literally carry the ladders across the lawn. We have quoted three of the six houses on this street and we will be doing the third after we paint this one. I still hate to paint, but I have two employees that love it. They are doing a house in 6 to 10 days, depending on the prep work, They go directly to the jobsite.... I go powerwash

We have declined project where the dry blasting would have been an option. Our newest Item for the business plan is to go to log home restoration school; learning to cob blast and other methods as an alternative chem and water stripping. Placing a multimedia blast pot and potentially a high volume air compressor in the 2009 capital budget.

The economy is no better here in upstate NY than anywhere else. We have let the market tell us what services to offer to increase our gross sales.

I'm very new to the business and took on way more than I could chew yesterday. A 4 story apartment complex in San Francisco,Ca. The back of the home has difficult access 5' wide wood balconies and a fire escape hovering over a vertical 50' foot drop. The only access was through a hallway which lead to the fire escapes.

Bought a couple 24' extension poles, zep home washing soap, and brushes bringing the mind set I want to clean the off-white paint and make it look new.

Talk about difficult, used an 30' extension wand and the extension poles with my hot water machine running about 170' away.

Myself and newbie helper hand scrubbed the walls and followed with the hot water knocking down the dirt and freeway grimed urban apartment.

I learned alot in that 4 hours. Pressure washing is tough with the extension wand on tight terraces. My helper on his first wand pass, said, " This thing kicks like a shot gun!" (8gpm 24 horse honda with beckett burner)

I then moved to the front with easy street access. Hand brushed 4 garage doors and then again, because of the grime that just seemed to stay on the paint.

I did all this for $400 and would do it again. The customer couldn't believe the diffrence, stated "I dont have to paint for a few more years,thanks."

Was brushing worth it I dont know, but I know I cleaned the apartment the way I would want my house to look. I was soaking wet from all the soffits and eaves between floors and pleased with myself for completing the project.

I WILL hook-up a downstreaming piece for the next wash and cant wait!

I'm very new to the business and took on way more than I could chew yesterday. A 4 story apartment complex in San Francisco,Ca. The back of the home has difficult access 5' wide wood balconies and a fire escape hovering over a vertical 50' foot drop. The only access was through a hallway which lead to the fire escapes.

Bought a couple 24' extension poles, zep home washing soap, and brushes bringing the mind set I want to clean the off-white paint and make it look new.

Talk about difficult, used an 30' extension wand and the extension poles with my hot water machine running about 170' away.

Myself and newbie helper hand scrubbed the walls and followed with the hot water knocking down the dirt and freeway grimed urban apartment.

I learned alot in that 4 hours. Pressure washing is tough with the extension wand on tight terraces. My helper on his first wand pass, said, " This thing kicks like a shot gun!" (8gpm 24 horse honda with beckett burner)

I then moved to the front with easy street access. Hand brushed 4 garage doors and then again, because of the grime that just seemed to stay on the paint.

I did all this for $400 and would do it again. The customer couldn't believe the diffrence, stated "I dont have to paint for a few more years,thanks."

Was brushing worth it I dont know, but I know I cleaned the apartment the way I would want my house to look. I was soaking wet from all the soffits and eaves between floors and pleased with myself for completing the project.

I WILL hook-up a downstreaming piece for the next wash and cant wait!

$400????.... WOW.... that is really cheap. If you don't like the kick to your machine. switch over to a flow unloader. That will help a lot.

If it works for Jeff and he's happy with that then I say good for him. He is making money when so many today are getting "killed" with the economy being what it is.....And since Jeff made it clear this is not a debate Then I say "More Power to you Jeff" Making money is the Key and he is doing just that:lgmoneyey