Sign in to follow this  
814jeffw

An option for those struggling......

Question

OK, this is for those in this business who may be struggling with getting enough work. First things first though, this is NOT meant to bring on a debate about methods, it is meant to give those who are struggling and want to stay in this business an option for getting more work and also repeat work. Pressure washing outfits seem to be everywhere and they are always competing with each other for the work that a particular area can provide. The best way is to set yourself apart from the others who are doing it, and that means raising the bar a bit. Take yourself out of the "typical" pressure washing business form. Turn into a technician instead of seeing how much money you can make per hour. And in my opinion the easiest way to raise the bar is to start brush washing the entire house. This is not hard when using the proper brushes. Also use ladders when needed, ladders are meant to be climbed on and are very safe when properly used. Go up the ladder and push up screens so you can clean the window area properly. You don't take the pressure wand up the ladder with you, you need a dedicated chemical sprayer with plenty of hose and a stationary chemical tank. The chemical wand is what you will take up the ladder when need be. You rinse from the ground. Brush washing will set the bar way high for the guys your competing with. I know there are those who are gonna say this is senseless and that they can clean with chemicals alone,.... but whether you can clean without doing this is beside the point. The point is public perception, people like to see a brush and soap bubbles, if you look as though your more detailed than the next "pressure washer" you will get the call more likely than not. I even seen on a thread where someone gets a brush out and leans it somewhere noticeable to the customer, just so it looks like they're brush washing. It takes me approximately 3-4 hours on a two story house, ($300-$500) been doing it for 12 years so I have gotten considerably faster from when I started. BUT I set the bar a long time ago and it wasn't on purpose, I've heard it many times over the years from customers and just the public in general,...which is why I like to say "I don't compete with anyone, they compete with me". Washing businesses here come and go,I have a strong customer base and my method makes it hard for those who aren't doing what I do to get much work from me. Again this was meant for those who are having trouble in this business, I guarantee it will help your business. So what if you work a little harder than you figured you were gonna have to. I feel really good about this method and credit it for keeping my business going and keeping others who wash in my zone struggling. You just have to set the bar higher sometimes.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

77 answers to this question

You are right ....all of you. There is many different techniques and chemicals to wash houses. It's up to a contractor what he choose and how happy customer will be.

I'm VERY PICKY about my own work and my experience with customers is that most of them have way lower expectations about the results than I have. My customers are always very happy .

I almost never use brush on houses . I use low or high pressure with just enough chemicals to help me with the project . Brushing the whole house is ok and waaaay better than x-jetting with toooons of chemicals all over the place.

Globally; we do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,

we borrow it from our children. - Native American Proverb

Edited by MichiganPowerWashing.com

If it works for Jeff and he's happy with that then I say good for him. He is making money when so many today are getting "killed" with the economy being what it is.....And since Jeff made it clear this is not a debate Then I say "More Power to you Jeff" Making money is the Key and he is doing just that:lgmoneyey

The reason I'm not gonna debate methods is because we would just go round and round, and the post would get cloudy real fast.

Now, with that being said:

Yes it does work for me, and it's part of my job,... and for me it's kept the competition virtually non-existent around here. What it comes down to is seeing so many fail in this business simply because they thought it was gonna be "retirement" work. That's great for me, I get plenty of work because I set the bar higher and those around me just fizzle out. It's the end of the week or month or year that matters, not how much you can make per hour. I'm dedicated to my work, I'm not trying to go real fast to get to the next one. For those who don't brush and have success, then great,...but this post is me sharing my experiences of a particular method and what it has done for me with those who may be struggling getting work,.... NOT ESTABLISHED BUSINESSES.... You either want to work or not. People who need an option though may be interested in the importance of public perception and what it can do for them. And if they're struggling and still won't raise the bar for their competitors by simply brushing then I don't think they're that interested in this business and can go back to a regular 9-5.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

I will add that in the cases where we do brush an entire house, it is for the purpose of removing oxidation from aluminum siding. We get a premium for this service which I will elude is quite higher than most will charge...but it is clean. Otherwise, a brush is used to get the stains that need agitation such as aluminum oxidation from below capped window frames and egg shots by vandals for example.

Jeff, you may not have wanted a debate but in this world of opinions and other experiences, people will do it anyway as you can see.

Don't worry though, your method is not status quo as most have moved on from brushing and using telescoping wands as cleaning chems have improved over the past few years. Being old fashioned is not a bad thing, it is just something most are not willing to revert to because of the demand they are trying to meet.

Rod!~

I will add that in the cases where we do brush an entire house, it is for the purpose of removing oxidation from aluminum siding. We get a premium for this service which I will elude is quite higher than most will charge...but it is clean. Otherwise, a brush is used to get the stains that need agitation such as aluminum oxidation from below capped window frames and egg shots by vandals for example.

Jeff, you may not have wanted a debate but in this world of opinions and other experiences, people will do it anyway as you can see.

Don't worry though, your method is not status quo as most have moved on from brushing and using telescoping wands as cleaning chems have improved over the past few years. Being old fashioned is not a bad thing, it is just something most are not willing to revert to because of the demand they are trying to meet.

Rod!~

If the demand is there then great, no matter what the method!!

Those in this business who are doing only one or two houses a week and doing it the same way the "other" guys in their zone do it are the businesses this post was meant for. They may want to get more detailed in their work and make their business look better to their potential customers, and it may get them more work, with just a little more effort.

Jeff

WOW. If that's how I had to do things to keep the phone ringing, I'd get a

new number.

Yes, this thinking is why I have my work zone basically to myself. Because my phone rings and the other guys aren't willing to put forth the little extra effort. This is EXACTLY what I'm trying to convey to anyone scratching for options. The other guy simply won't do it, it's an easy way to get their head above the crowd. When you start generating more house washing because of method, the other work will come as well, like roof cleaning, concrete and deck cleaning. The point is, brush washing will generate more work.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

Jeff

when you brush a home, does it come cleaner than when you x-jet or ds?

Kudo's for you to be able to brush a home, I just don't know if I have that much stamina!

I'm not gonna answer that here Al, it will just start the debate about methods.

Jeff

I think brushing along with a good soap will get rid of oxidation on vinyl - where as downstreaming will not. I end up brushing gutters most of the time - downstreaming didn't work there either. But for the most part - I am aiming to get rid of mildew, algae, and some atmospheric pollutants - and downstreaming works fine for that. I can get artillery fungus with 3-4 applications of cleaner and lots of brushing - downstreaming won't do that either.

Jeff is trying to be helpful as how to get business, suggesting perhaps that brushing may be the ticket to sell. If you are hard up and don't mind spending 4-5 hours per day working - and getting 15 $400 housewashes a month - which amounts to grossing 6k for 2 work weeks - then why not? Personally I think this is a move back into the owner/operator mentality. And if you have workers - now they'll need more workers' comp - at the exterior painting rate. I spent 4 hours at a home that I only brushed one section for like 5 minutes - a real stubbon section - and I hate to think how long that would have taken brushed?

Sounds to me like you are trying to justify your pricing to the customer by telling them you are going to work harder for your $ than the next guy Jeff. If one guy is going to cut a lawn with a 52in riding mower and wants $100.00 and another is going to cut it with a 21in push mower should the guy with the push mower get $175.00 for the same job when the results are going to be the same? Better yet- Is the customer going to go with the $175.00 just because he is going to sweat more? I truely believe that people probably are probably going with you because of your selling skills, your personality and the quality of work that you can show them you do through before and after pics, website etc...Once you realize that you can sell them for the same price and do it without brushing you will be SOOO much Happier. You say you want more time to fish and to play golf? Ds a house wash and you will make the same $ and be on the golf course by noon rather than by 2:00 pm and still have a Very Happy customer. Whats the old saying? Work smarter- Not harder... Heck Jeff, We already work hard enough why add to the pain!

I think brushing along with a good soap will get rid of oxidation on vinyl - where as downstreaming will not. I end up brushing gutters most of the time - downstreaming didn't work there either. But for the most part - I am aiming to get rid of mildew, algae, and some atmospheric pollutants - and downstreaming works fine for that. I can get artillery fungus with 3-4 applications of cleaner and lots of brushing - downstreaming won't do that either.

Jeff is trying to be helpful as how to get business, suggesting perhaps that brushing may be the ticket to sell. If you are hard up and don't mind spending 4-5 hours per day working - and getting 15 $400 housewashes a month - which amounts to grossing 6k for 2 work weeks - then why not? Personally I think this is a move back into the owner/operator mentality. And if you have workers - now they'll need more workers' comp - at the exterior painting rate. I spent 4 hours at a home that I only brushed one section for like 5 minutes - a real stubbon section - and I hate to think how long that would have taken brushed?

This is right Dan, this thread is about selling, public perception and raising the bar,..... not which method is better.

Jeff

Sounds to me like you are trying to justify your pricing to the customer by telling them you are going to work harder for your $ than the next guy Jeff. If one guy is going to cut a lawn with a 52in riding mower and wants $100.00 and another is going to cut it with a 21in push mower should the guy with the push mower get $175.00 for the same job when the results are going to be the same? Better yet- Is the customer going to go with the $175.00 just because he is going to sweat more? I truely believe that people probably are probably going with you because of your selling skills, your personality and the quality of work that you can show them you do through before and after pics, website etc...Once you realize that you can sell them for the same price and do it without brushing you will be SOOO much Happier. You say you want more time to fish and to play golf? Ds a house wash and you will make the same $ and be on the golf course by noon rather than by 2:00 pm and still have a Very Happy customer. Whats the old saying? Work smarter- Not harder... Heck Jeff, We already work hard enough why add to the pain!

First off I don't have to justify anything, I feel good about my pricing! I don't remember saying I wanted more time to fish or play golf. I don't even play golf, not sure where you read that Larry. I'm not retired. I don't mind giving some work for some pay. You are right about one thing, brushing does sell, and I am working every day, at least you got the point of this post!!. And I wouldn't be happier using an alternate method, I've been at it for 12 years Larry, I know what works. Not sure where the perception is coming from that brushing is hard.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

My Bad Jeff. Sorry buddy. Cajun said he would rather spend the extra time fishing and playing golf. I appoligize. It wasn't you. Sometimes I get sooo confused! LOL...I'll try to pay more attention! :lgbugeyesLOL

My Bad Jeff. Sorry buddy. Cajun said he would rather spend the extra time fishing and playing golf. I appoligize. It wasn't you. Sometimes I get sooo confused! LOL...I'll try to pay more attention! :lgbugeyesLOL

No problem Larry, I knew you'd figure it out. You even had me thinking there for a second,...but then I remembered, I don't play golf!!

Jeff

Anything posted on a public forum IS debatable, sorry. If you don't want debate then don't post. It's what makes the forums so valuable or at least it used to.

Jeff, I was going to let this go because I don't have the time anymore to argue with guys who don't listen anyway. But I couldn't disagree more with your statement, "brushing will get you more work." Having your caveman methods and your own opinion is cool, but don't make bold untrue statements like this on a public forum, please.

Larry makes an excellent point with the lawn mowing example. I hope that makes sense to you. Working harder is not good business practice and it won't bring you more work. Just being out there working brings you more work. Just being in business year after year brings you more business. Giving a good end result to your customers will bring you more work. It doesn't matter HOW you do it, and IMO your methods are holding you back.

How could you even handle more work if your methods are so slow. You are working harder than you need to. Put one of your houses next to one of mine and they are both dramatic and excellent results. A house can only get so clean. Some days we've done 3 house washes and maybe even a roof or driveway thrown in there. All excellent results and extremely pleased clients.

Think about this; you are at one location all day working your ass off and a curious neighbor comes over and asks for an estimate or business card. The homeowner may also be happy with the end results and may refer you, great.

Now I'm at 3 different locations because I use efficient methods (right chemicals, big GPM unit, efficient rig set up, and so on). I hand out 3 times as many business cards, get 3 times the referrals, and gain 3 new loyal customers. That is priceless my friend, do that every day and your business would grow at a much faster rate, guaranteed.

It isn't rocket science, ever heard the expression work smarter not harder. That doesn't mean you're lazy or cutting corners, it means you have streamlined your methods and your business and putting more profit in your pocket. The ONLY measure of success IS profits, that's it.

So I rebuttal your statement about brushing bringing more work with; educate yourself, invest in the right equipment, become more efficient, sell value, charge a premium, and deliver the results. That will bring you at least 3 times the work that you are experiencing now.

Just my opinion of course, oh and my EXPERIENCE!

Anything posted on a public forum IS debatable, sorry. If you don't want debate then don't post. It's what makes the forums so valuable or at least it used to.

Jeff, I was going to let this go because I don't have the time anymore to argue with guys who don't listen anyway. But I couldn't disagree more with your statement, "brushing will get you more work." Having your caveman methods and your own opinion is cool, but don't make bold untrue statements like this on a public forum, please.

Larry makes an excellent point with the lawn mowing example. I hope that makes sense to you. Working harder is not good business practice and it won't bring you more work. Just being out there working brings you more work. Just being in business year after year brings you more business. Giving a good end result to your customers will bring you more work. It doesn't matter HOW you do it, and IMO your methods are holding you back.

How could you even handle more work if your methods are so slow. You are working harder than you need to. Put one of your houses next to one of mine and they are both dramatic and excellent results. A house can only get so clean. Some days we've done 3 house washes and maybe even a roof or driveway thrown in there. All excellent results and extremely pleased clients.

Think about this; you are at one location all day working your ass off and a curious neighbor comes over and asks for an estimate or business card. The homeowner may also be happy with the end results and may refer you, great.

Now I'm at 3 different locations because I use efficient methods (right chemicals, big GPM unit, efficient rig set up, and so on). I hand out 3 times as many business cards, get 3 times the referrals, and gain 3 new loyal customers. That is priceless my friend, do that every day and your business would grow at a much faster rate, guaranteed.

It isn't rocket science, ever heard the expression work smarter not harder. That doesn't mean you're lazy or cutting corners, it means you have streamlined your methods and your business and putting more profit in your pocket. The ONLY measure of success IS profits, that's it.

So I rebuttal your statement about brushing bringing more work with; educate yourself, invest in the right equipment, become more efficient, sell value, charge a premium, and deliver the results. That will bring you at least 3 times the work that you are experiencing now.

Just my opinion of course, oh and my EXPERIENCE!

This post was directed at those who don't have alot of work and are looking for options, NOT established businesses. And I'm done by 12-1 every day. And I' don't work my butt off. Your making insinuations about my work hours and effort and you have nothing to base it on. Brushing gets me more work because my customers have told me they go with me because of it. That's good enough for me. Just trying to pass it on is all, not here to argue. This is about public perception, not methods. Did you see where guys posted in here some where that they lean a brush visible to the customer so the customer thinks they're brushing.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

I am just curious about one thing, Jeff. You have been at this for over a decade, right? Haven't you built up a loyal customer base that seeks your service every 2-3 years? How do you keep up with demand? I totally can see your tactic for selling brushing, heck guys around here sell 'hot' water - why not brushing? But for someone like you - why do you have to 'sell' anymore? I would have thought, that with your loyal customers - that you would have downstreamed their homes by now. Given them equivalent results - they already prize you as a contractor - and you are delivering exactly the same clean product. This would enable you to take on more customers in the same season to keep up with demand.

I am really curious about this - because I anticipate customer retention at some point - there is only so much work anyone can do in a season. Personally I think a one-man outfit would have a hard time doing 100 house washes in a 6 month season - downstreaming. And that's only 40-50k at best. I don't think I could do that brushed!

I lean a brush up against a home - because sometimes some spots you can apply chems 5-6 times and they still don't budge! Where as 1-2 coats and a little elbow grease gets things going.

Jeff - I don't mean to attack you in any of my posts - I just want you to know this.

Yea Dan, I have a great customer base, because of brushing,...if I start doing what they see as less quality work, they will maybe look at my business a little different. Not really interested in pulling the rug out from loyal customers. They like them cleaned the way I do it.... period. It takes me approximately 3-4 hours average on a two story house, so keeping up isn't hard. Plus I get roofs, decks and concrete cleaning.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

I lean a brush up against a home - because sometimes some spots you can apply chems 5-6 times and they still don't budge! Where as 1-2 coats and a little elbow grease gets things going.

Jeff - I don't mean to attack you in any of my posts - I just want you to know this.

That's ok Dan, you're not the one I'm referring to who said they lean a brush against the house for the customer to see. It was in a post here somewhere the other day, but it wasn't you.

Jeff

The other thing we need to look at here is what rates are being charged. I've seen some rates down in Florida that are ridiculous, Like $75.00 or $100.00 for a ranch home. Yea, I wouldn't brush for that price, But my market allows me to charge $200.00 plus for the same house. Two story homes bring me $300.00-$1,000.00. I would rather make more money by doing more work, this is what sets my work apart from all of the local fellas. If it doesn't suit your particular business plan then this thread isn't for you.

Jeff

Because I came from the window cleaning side of the business . I have always bushed around the windows frame and the glass. The results are far superior.

Yea James, I believe this is maybe why customer perceive it as a little better service. This is what I'm trying to say to those who may be having a difficult time picking up work, gotta' change and get out of the crowd. If you only brush around the windows, that is still raising the bar to a degree.

Jeff

Jeff, I do have a brush out when the customer chooses my more detailed package which includes gutter scrubbing. But believe me, I charge for it. Our minimum house wash starts at $329 even for a small ranch. Most houses take me 1-1.5 hours with gutter scrubbing.

Public perception is I know what I'm doing and obviously I'm good at it. We have a guarantee that "it's the most detailed exterior cleaning ever or it's FREE!" So when I'm in and out in less than 2 hours and they are happy to pay then that is the perception I want. I've never had anyone say "hey you didn't work hard enough!" It's the end result they are paying for. It's the experience of doing business with me and how I was in and out so they could get on with their lives WITH a clean home.

Again Jeff, I doubt your houses are any cleaner than mine. Sure I scrub spots if necessary like water streaks under windows or marks on the metal around windows if they need it and like I said the gutters if they choose that package. But once a house is clean it's clean.

I understand your point that you aren't debating methods, but rather perception. What would your perception be of a contractor push mowing a huge yard? My perception would be he is new, unestablished, and even unprofessional, NOT that he is a hard worker or doing a better job. I want the company that has a couple of guy's on big fast riders with sharp blades to get in and out with the same results (fresh cut grass). Or in this case a nice clean house.

This is why I was reluctant to debate this, you don't get it and you won't get it. That's fine I really don't care. I mean no disrespect Jeff. I just know a thing or two about washing houses, public perception, customer loyalty, efficiency, and profits. But never mind me, I'll go away now and I wish you luck in your business I hope you remain successful.

Enjoy your holiday weekend!

I find my customers just want the house clean when I'm done. Most houses are nasty because most customers do not and will not do it regularly no matter what. It's not hard to get dramatic results with nasty houses. I X Jet with spot brushing if necessary and usually,,,almost entirely wind up dealing with soccer moms who never come out until I'm done and wouldn't care or even know I didn't brush. I think Jeff your justifying to the customer why they should use you by TELLING them your going to brush noting "others wont take the time to do this" ect...effectivly putting the rest of us down to the HO making them think the last guy didn't do it like he was supposed to or plant the seed to the HO to ASK the next bidder if he brushes because thats what they now think your supposed to do to get a cleaner house, to close the deal for you. I'd bet thats in every sales pitch you make. (which you claim is raising the bar but in reality your just sabotaging the next guy giving an estimate by setting him up to fail.) Call it what it is but,,, it's just another selling technique to separate yourself from others its not cleaning any better or getting you more work your just improving you closing rate because the HO THINKS there getting something "extra" and who doesn't want that. Brush all you want I think it's great but its not getting you more work besides the factor that your standing in that yard longer giving the neighbor the extra time to pass by and see you. I don't believe your houses are any cleaner than most others who do the job thoroughly. I'm not meaning to sound like I'm attacking you it's just I have to call it what it is,, negative marketing,, its not a better job or "raising the bar".

Jeff isn't disputing that downstreaming is worse, it's just that he thinks advertizing 'brushing' gets him more jobs. Personally - if a homeowner asks if I brush - I go on the 'attack' now and dispute brushing as a waste of time, contractors doesn't know their chems properly, and lots of ladder work and possibility for injury on their property, and then I say "you don't want a $1,000 house wash turning into a $100,000 lawsuit?" LOL. I respect Jeff in his way of selling - it's just if someone pulls that crap on my turf - I will go for the jugular(sp?). Public perception is what we contractors make of it - and I can see an argument of the 'brushless' housewash being sold to clients as a better way of cleaning their homes - none of those nasty bristles potentially harming their siding - kind of like the old car washes - now they use felt, but still makes cars equally clean.