Sign in to follow this  
814jeffw

An option for those struggling......

Question

OK, this is for those in this business who may be struggling with getting enough work. First things first though, this is NOT meant to bring on a debate about methods, it is meant to give those who are struggling and want to stay in this business an option for getting more work and also repeat work. Pressure washing outfits seem to be everywhere and they are always competing with each other for the work that a particular area can provide. The best way is to set yourself apart from the others who are doing it, and that means raising the bar a bit. Take yourself out of the "typical" pressure washing business form. Turn into a technician instead of seeing how much money you can make per hour. And in my opinion the easiest way to raise the bar is to start brush washing the entire house. This is not hard when using the proper brushes. Also use ladders when needed, ladders are meant to be climbed on and are very safe when properly used. Go up the ladder and push up screens so you can clean the window area properly. You don't take the pressure wand up the ladder with you, you need a dedicated chemical sprayer with plenty of hose and a stationary chemical tank. The chemical wand is what you will take up the ladder when need be. You rinse from the ground. Brush washing will set the bar way high for the guys your competing with. I know there are those who are gonna say this is senseless and that they can clean with chemicals alone,.... but whether you can clean without doing this is beside the point. The point is public perception, people like to see a brush and soap bubbles, if you look as though your more detailed than the next "pressure washer" you will get the call more likely than not. I even seen on a thread where someone gets a brush out and leans it somewhere noticeable to the customer, just so it looks like they're brush washing. It takes me approximately 3-4 hours on a two story house, ($300-$500) been doing it for 12 years so I have gotten considerably faster from when I started. BUT I set the bar a long time ago and it wasn't on purpose, I've heard it many times over the years from customers and just the public in general,...which is why I like to say "I don't compete with anyone, they compete with me". Washing businesses here come and go,I have a strong customer base and my method makes it hard for those who aren't doing what I do to get much work from me. Again this was meant for those who are having trouble in this business, I guarantee it will help your business. So what if you work a little harder than you figured you were gonna have to. I feel really good about this method and credit it for keeping my business going and keeping others who wash in my zone struggling. You just have to set the bar higher sometimes.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

77 answers to this question

I agree with Mudduck. It isn't raising the bar it's actually lowering it. Basically Jeff is using the "brushing" pitch as a marketing gimmick to land jobs. It is his way of selling value, only problem with that is it is also hindering his profits.

I also agree with the fact that now the customer thinks brushing is a necessity. But it is the next guys job to re-educate if he wants the work. It's dog eat dog and that is fair but it does suck when someone mis-educates or misinforms a customer.

I have a competitor here that advertises "specializing in hot water washing" and his pitch is HIS hot water is better and he applies wet wax with it so it's more effective. Every time I follow after this guy on a bid I get asked "do you use hot water." So I have to educate them that the end result with cold water and the proper chems is the same. That hot water can warp the siding and can be detrimental to plants. I even had a brochure made up that educates them about it in case he does his estimate after me. It's just a marketing gimmick and again the customer only cares about the end result period!

I have the exact same crap to deal with, Barry. I follow guys that sell the 'hot' water. I've been losing to them for some time until lately - I've gotten mean. Not that I name names - but I am now in hot pursuit of the 'hot' washers. I think guys like that really don't posess selling skills - so they 'roll' off these buzzwords. Now that I have actively been selling cold water and producing literature, I am starting to bury these guys in the dust - and the only way they have been 'selling' their work now is by being a lowballer. But as Napolean said 'All's fair in love and war'

Yea, I see where you guys are coming from, but I really don't have to "bid" on work anymore, there isn't anyone else to call other than me around here, I just give a cost and they say "come do it" and that is what I'm trying to get across. I don't even have to advertise brush washing, people here just expect it now, and I'm the only game in town. And that IS raising the bar not lowering it,... when you've shoved every other business out the door and you're the only guy worth calling!! And getting the edge is what it's all about.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

we have brush and brushless car washes in my town. i have been to both and i cannot tell the difference between the two. but i guess the debate here is not whether it cleans better but what sets you apart from your competition. i am not a brusher unless the situation arises as i prefer to let the chemicals do the work for me.

rando

we have brush and brushless car washes in my town. i have been to both and i cannot tell the difference between the two. but i guess the debate here is not whether it cleans better but what sets you apart from your competition. i am not a brusher unless the situation arises as i prefer to let the chemicals do the work for me.

rando

The chemicals do the work for me to, brushing just finishes it up real nice and the customers love it!!

Jeff

Yea, I see where you guys are coming from, but I really don't have to "bid" on work anymore, there isn't anyone else to call other than me around here, I just give a cost and they say "come do it" and that is what I'm trying to get across. I don't even have to advertise brush washing, people here just expect it now, and I'm the only game in town. And that IS raising the bar not lowering it,... when you've shoved every other business out the door and you're the only guy worth calling!! And getting the edge is what it's all about.

Jeff

Man - would I love to be the only game in town. The wars rage on....same thing in painting - folks read up on the internet that 'sprayed' homes aren't as good as 'brushed' homes for exterior painting. Even if you explain to them that you 'backbrush' - they don't care, they want brushed! Jeff - couldn't you sneak in a few homes downstreaming? And see if you like it? Only game in town, right? What if you leave a property and it's just as clean? But then again that may open the doors to competitors and that lowballing starts a rollin' - man it's tough in business sometimes!

Man - would I love to be the only game in town. The wars rage on....same thing in painting - folks read up on the internet that 'sprayed' homes aren't as good as 'brushed' homes for exterior painting. Even if you explain to them that you 'backbrush' - they don't care, they want brushed! Jeff - couldn't you sneak in a few homes downstreaming? And see if you like it? Only game in town, right? What if you leave a property and it's just as clean? But then again that may open the doors to competitors and that lowballing starts a rollin' - man it's tough in business sometimes!

I've set a presidense Dan, and I don't mind living with it. Others in this business are struggling, I'm glad to be moving forward. Selling what the customers are buying is what it's all about.

Jeff

After my brushing experience on a really dirty house, would any of the posters give up the chemicals they use and the method for application. The amount of time they usually let the chemicals soak, or do you just downstream and hit with a high or low pressure.

Newbie here, I agree with the work smart not hard addage.

Edited by CLARK SERVICES
add signature

Brushing the whole house is ok and waaaay better than x-jetting with toooons of chemicals all over the place.

Globally; we do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,

we borrow it from our children. - Native American Proverb

An X-jet only puts out what you mix in the bucket. The mix can be weak or strong. Just because you use an x-jet doesn't mean chems are all over the place. I adjust my mix based on what is on the surface to be sleaned.

This is right Dan, this thread is about selling, public perception and raising the bar,..... not which method is better.

Jeff

Well put Jeff.... we started out brushing houses as you do. Our goal was to be better than anyone and stand out in the area. FIVE YEARS AGO YESTERDAY we did our first house using that method and the sad part about it is that five years ago today we finished washing the same house... It took us 12 hours.

We took a different approach to public perception. We had KBK do our logo, then a website, then professional business cards (we ditched the home made ones), then full colored property cleaning brochures,,, we quickly found out that all of the above was the ticket to getting the edge on others. We have added a wood restoration brochure and lettered all vehicles and trailers.

We do work hard to give excellent results, this plays a large part in returning customers.... but the multidimensional marketing program is what actually keeps the phone ringing.

Well put Jeff.... we started out brushing houses as you do. Our goal was to be better than anyone and stand out in the area. FIVE YEARS AGO YESTERDAY we did our first house using that method and the sad part about it is that five years ago today we finished washing the same house... It took us 12 hours.

We took a different approach to public perception. We had KBK do our logo, then a website, then professional business cards (we ditched the home made ones), then full colored property cleaning brochures,,, we quickly found out that all of the above was the ticket to getting the edge on others. We have added a wood restoration brochure and lettered all vehicles and trailers.

We do work hard to give excellent results, this plays a large part in returning customers.... but the multidimensional marketing program is what actually keeps the phone ringing.

Man Matt, I remember when I first started this business,... I have to say my story is similar to yours on the brushing experience. It was taking all day along with alot of frustration, but the people I was working for really liked the different approach I was taking and felt obligated from that point on to "deliver". But I knew I'd never survive this business if I continued on the path I was on when I began in 1996. To make a long story short..... I've since then made brushing easy, (mostly due to the proper chemical), efficient application and proper brushes,... I was able cut the time waaaaaay back and the level of frustration has been knocked way back as well . We all have our frustrating days though. I may also add that I didn't have the internet to refer to for learning tricks, techniques and chemicals. Learning chemicals is key in this business.

I like the idea of better quality cards and other literature, That seems to reiterate my stand on brush washing; You can get away with cheaper cards and brochures but the customers like to see what they perceive as better quality, and maybe more professional. Seems to coincide with my view on brush washing and selling. It's all about getting out of the crowd and giving the customer a reason to call YOU, instead of the other guy(s).

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

sorry for not reading all the posts but I wanted to commend you for doing things your way. I have been taken to task many times on this site for washing and staining in 1 day and still using a extension wand. I appreciate your alternative marketing tactics. As long as you get the results you and your customer want who is to say anything but nice work! My business model is intact and I also use brushes in my house wash. I continue to wash and stain in a day and I belive in my process. I don't like too much pressure near any windows and simply applying chems isn't enough for my taste. I'm always open to new ideas in this business and thats 1/2 the fun of this message board. As klong as I can get great results and maintain repeat customers that put me to sleep with a smile.

Man Matt, I remember when I first started this business,... I have to say my story is similar to yours on the brushing experience. It was taking all day along with alot of frustration, but the people I was working for really liked the different approach I was taking and felt obligated from that point on to "deliver". But I knew I'd never survive this business if I continued on the path I was on when I began in 1996. To make a long story short..... I've since then made brushing easy, (mostly due to the proper chemical), efficient application and proper brushes,... I was able cut the time waaaaaay back and the level of frustration has been knocked way back as well . We all have our frustrating days though. I may also add that I didn't have the internet to refer to for learning tricks, techniques and chemicals. Learning chemicals is key in this business.

I like the idea of better quality cards and other literature, That seems to reiterate my stand on brush washing; You can get away with cheaper cards and brochures but the customers like to see what they perceive as better quality, and maybe more professional. Seems to coincide with my view on brush washing and selling. It's all about getting out of the crowd and giving the customer a reason to call YOU, instead of the other guy(s).

Jeff

Jeff, I agree with your methods because... simply put.... If it aint broken, don't try to fix it! Good Luck!

I had a lady ask me on the job the other day since I scrubbed the lower half could I scrub the upper half...I pulled out my extension wand and put a medium bristle on and went at it...she was amazed how clean and how fast I got it all done with just my brush and spray and rinse down the chemicals. I didnt even have the last hose wound up when her neighbor came over and asked for the same thing. They are tri levels, half brick and half vinyl with alot of nice foliage surrounding the whole house. Your right it didnt take that long and I felt l really deserved those compliments. Keep rolling with the idea and keep us up on what it will be called.

VR

Bil

I had a lady ask me on the job the other day since I scrubbed the lower half could I scrub the upper half...I pulled out my extension wand and put a medium bristle on and went at it...she was amazed how clean and how fast I got it all done with just my brush and spray and rinse down the chemicals. I didnt even have the last hose wound up when her neighbor came over and asked for the same thing. They are tri levels, half brick and half vinyl with alot of nice foliage surrounding the whole house. Your right it didnt take that long and I felt l really deserved those compliments. Keep rolling with the idea and keep us up on what it will be called.

VR

Bil

Hi Bil, good to hear. It is simply called putting your business on a different level by offering an alternate method than the crowd around you. Getting people talking is what will get you work, and getting out of the "norm" can do that.

Jeff

sorry for not reading all the posts but I wanted to commend you for doing things your way. I have been taken to task many times on this site for washing and staining in 1 day and still using a extension wand. I appreciate your alternative marketing tactics. As long as you get the results you and your customer want who is to say anything but nice work! My business model is intact and I also use brushes in my house wash. I continue to wash and stain in a day and I belive in my process. I don't like too much pressure near any windows and simply applying chems isn't enough for my taste. I'm always open to new ideas in this business and thats 1/2 the fun of this message board. As klong as I can get great results and maintain repeat customers that put me to sleep with a smile.

That's right Jeff, doing what you're comfortable with is what's really important here. Don't ever allow the crowd to sway your thinking, as everyone's market can be different. I changed the market in my zone by brush washing, now that's what customers seem to expect. That's what this thread is about, separating yourself from the crowd.

Jeff

But guys don't you think that 'brush' washing is just a reaction to the days of guys using butyl based house washing chems and high pressure on extend-a-wands to clean up a home? Hasn't the simple cherry revolution made brushing obsolete? I believe with brushing - you only need muni-tap pressure in order to clean up a home. You don't need a pressure washer. IF you are going to brush - get one of those brushes window washers use that supplies the chem right to the brush - and use the homeowners hose to rinse. I just think a pressure washer with 200psi of rinsing power along with simple cherry is just so much easier and no brushing.

Why not offer both services? Jeff - offer a simple cherry no brush house wash for half the price along with your normal brush washing.

Why not offer both services? Jeff - offer a simple cherry no brush house wash for half the price along with your normal brush washing.

He can't because his whole shtick is brush washing and has trapped himself by telling all his customers that brush washing is better and THAT is why they should use HIM instead of his competition. I would guess his very creditability would be at stake with his base. I assume he is established with a client base and knows other start ups without the base can't afford to hire help or charge enough to make it worth their while to do it That way giving him the advantage. Its his business model.

Again Jeff I'm not meaning to sound ugly, I get what your intentions for the thread are and I really enjoy your post I do but it is what it is, it's negatively marketing your competition not doing a better job. Not slamming your methods at all we all tell our customers "OUR company, experience, hot water, chems or methods, hey look at my big fancy rig I gotta be better than the next guy and thats why you should use me." But it is what it is and that doesn't mean its better for any body but you. But it works for you and thats the name of the game so kudos. But I can't sit here and let someone give me advice about how to do a better job,,start brushing,,like I'm not doing as good a job. For the purpose of discrediting the way I do it as a matter of practice. All customers pay us to clean the surface period. If you need to brush a spot brush it but I don't have to stand there for hours making the money I charge tangible to the customer. Those are "one on one customers" that I try to make happy but I'm not going to cut my price which effectively doubling my time and effort would do. Like PlainPainter asked would you do it MY WAY for half price? I'm sure your anwser is NO just like would I do it YOUR WAY for half price,,,NO.

Edited by MudDuck

He can't because his whole shtick is brush washing and has trapped himself by telling all his customers that brush washing is better and THAT is why they should use HIM instead of his competition. I would guess his very creditability would be at stake with his base. I assume he is established with a client base and knows other start ups without the base can't afford to hire help or charge enough to make it worth their while to do it That way giving him the advantage. Its his business model.

Again Jeff I'm not meaning to sound ugly, I get what your intentions for the thread are and I really enjoy your post I do but it is what it is, it's negatively marketing your competition not doing a better job. Not slamming your methods at all we all tell our customers "OUR company, experience, hot water, chems or methods, hey look at my big fancy rig I gotta be better than the next guy and thats why you should use me." But it is what it is and that doesn't mean its better for any body but you. But it works for you and thats the name of the game so kudos. But I can't sit here and let someone give me advice about how to do a better job,,start brushing,,like I'm not doing as good a job. For the purpose of discrediting the way I do it as a matter of practice. All customers pay us to clean the surface period. If you need to brush a spot brush it but I don't have to stand there for hours making the money I charge tangible to the customer. Those are "one on one customers" that I try to make happy but I'm not going to cut my price which effectively doubling my time and effort would do. Like PlainPainter asked would you do it MY WAY for half price? I'm sure your anwser is NO just like would I do it YOUR WAY for half price,,,NO.

Muduck, I don't perceive your view as "ugly",...but anyhow, if you go back and read some of my first postings in this thread you will see I didn't start this topic saying my way is a better method,...in fact I've said it a few times through this discussion that it's not about methods directly,...the point here is that for ME and my work zone brush washing has kept me in business and it raised the bar in MY zone,..simply because customers perceive brushing to be a better job,...it keeps me busy and the other guys here coming and going. Everyone do it how they please, I was just offering up personal experience for anyone interested, not intending to get an argument going. There may be someone actually interested in changing their game plan, because this can be a tough business and you have to give the customer a reason to call you,....and I do not care about the other guy one single bit, if I take his work because I have the customer believing my service is "better" than theirs,.... well then good, mission accomplished. I could see an argument here if my method would be sacrificing the quality but it's not lowering the quality,... it's all about SELLING!! And I really don't have to "sell" brushing around here any longer people just expect it now and they know who to call!! I haven't had a discussion with a customer comparing the two methods for a very long time now.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

I like to come here on this site for just the thing Jeff posted about. What is different and what can I sell in my own business. I have not made a nickle proving my methods to a sole on this site. I have however, made a few bucks by learning and adapting techniques and chems to my business plan. This yr. i added HD-80 and somple cherry to my chems . I believe you could do house washes with a good pump to apply chems to house , a few ladders and a extension pole and some brushes. VERY low overhead. some still sell "hand stained " decks. They try and tell a customer it does a better job. Not my cup of tea.. I'm a sprayer ..but if it works for your busines then git er done!!!!

Muduck, I don't perceive your view as "ugly",...but anyhow, if you go back and read some of my first postings in this thread you will see I didn't start this topic saying my way is a better method,...in fact I've said it a few times through this discussion that it's not about methods directly,...the point here is that for ME and my work zone brush washing has kept me in business and it raised the bar in MY zone,..simply because customers perceive brushing to be a better job,...it keeps me busy and the other guys here coming and going. Everyone do it how they please, I was just offering up personal experience for anyone interested, not intending to get an argument going. There may be someone actually interested in changing their game plan, because this can be a tough business and you have to give the customer a reason to call you,....and I do not care about the other guy one single bit, if I take his work because I have the customer believing my service is "better" than theirs,.... well then good, mission accomplished. I could see an argument here if my method would be sacrificing the quality but it's not lowering the quality,... it's all about SELLING!! And I really don't have to "sell" brushing around here any longer people just expect it now and they know who to call!! I haven't had a discussion with a customer comparing the two methods for a very long time now.

Jeff

Point taken and I under stand...but bottom line is you've conditioned your market customers into THINKING that brushing is better knowing most other guys don't or won't do it because IT'S NOT NEEDED and not even on most peoples radar these days. The seeds you've been planting all these years have grown into tree's concerning customers perception that if your not brushing your NOT doing as good a job. Which is all fine and good like I said it's your business model designed for cutting the throat of the competition keeping you in business. Thats what it is BUT you promoted it to us struggling guys as setting our selfs apart from the competition, raising the bar when your not doing anything of the sort but raising the labor effort aka cutting the profitability hoping other guys are not willing to work that hard for half the money. You might as well be promoting low balling. The low baller can take his HD cold water machine from door to door and tell everyone that "Those guys with their fancy 20k hot water rigs" are telling you XYZ so they can justify charging you 400.00 to wash your house. I can do the same job for $99.99 and if your not happy with the job I do don't pay me". And I could make money doing it all day long not dropping any quality whatsoever. I CAN clean a house with a cold water machine for 99.99 getting it as clean as you and make money doing it. I don't,, and CHOOSE to struggle a little bit knowing I'm conditioning my market to EXPECT a house to cost 250+ to clean it NOT to expect it takes someone all day long to do it. Suggesting anyone to cut their profitability in half to separate them selfs from the competition is promoting low balling it just looks better.

You might as well said "hey guys if your struggling,,,make up some schnit to dis credit your comp about how they are doing jobs", like some bash roof cleaners for using bleach, cause we all know how bleach ruins everyting it touches ect, ect... Or ohhh did you know that guy uses ACID to clean decks!

I get your point but I guess I see it as a bad vehical,,,if your struggling which really means not getting much work, seporate yourself with QUALITY.... Go slower, take your time because your not doing anything this afternoon or tommorow anyway. Explain what your doing,,befriend your HO ect...I think thats what you meant.