Sign in to follow this  
Apple Roof Cleaning

Your Opinions On Rebuilding New Orleans ?

Question

What do you guys THINK about rebuilding New Orleans ?

SHOULD we have spent all that Money, TWICE ?

Hurricane Gustav is heading right at it.

Now, IF Gustav hits, what do we do ?

Spend MORE Taxpayers Money for a City that AIN"T supposed to be there anyway ?

Maybe it is time to give up ?

115 answers to this question

They will never give up rebuilding the city....Too much history.....Just think.......they will get some more credit cards to buy their drugs with alchohol.....

Every Homeless Person in the South CLAIMED he was "from new orleans" and got GOVT Money after Katrina.

Drug dealers eventually got the taxpayers money.

Oh please....it's not all like that. When was the last time you were there?

I have family there. There are GOOD people there. The simple truth is the Government didn't react swiftly enough or do enough afterward.

Beth

Beth I agree, Chris what do you think would have happened if Tampa was in the same situation? Would say the same things? Well, why spend tax payers money to rebuild Tampa. Chris I am not sure why you would say such things.

I was there 4 weeks ago and my opinion of the place is exactly what Chris says....that place is an absolute waste. Yeah, some of the history is cool, but it seems that everybody there is in some kind of a daze and they aimlessly wonder the streets. It's the weirdest thing I've ever seen in my life.

I made the comment to my wife when I got home from that dump that I can't understand how people could have such meaningless lives. I'm kind of a high stung person and need to be doing something all the time. The people there (don't mean to make a blanket statement like this because I know there are honest hard working people there) just walk the streets and have nothing to live for. It's strange.

Don't even get me started about Bourbon Street....

Beth I agree, Chris what do you think would have happened if Tampa was in the same situation? Would say the same things? Well, why spend tax payers money to rebuild Tampa. Chris I am not sure why you would say such things.

Tampa is NOT 20 feet below Sea Level Mel.

Tropical Storm: Tracking Map : Weather Underground

Plus, it is not in hurricane alley.

It is kinda hard when you are BELOW Sea Level to survive a storm surge.

This has happened TWICE now Mel, looks like it is gonna happen again ?

THAT is why I would "say a thing like that"

What are we gonna do, rebuild it again ?

The Mayans abandoned HUGE Cities when they outlived their usefulness.

At WHAT point do we realize Nature sometime will not be "controlled' ?

I was there 4 weeks ago and my opinion of the place is exactly what Chris says....that place is an absolute waste. Yeah, some of the history is cool, but it seems that everybody there is in some kind of a daze and they aimlessly wonder the streets. It's the weirdest thing I've ever seen in my life.

I made the comment to my wife when I got home from that dump that I can't understand how people could have such meaningless lives. I'm kind of a high stung person and need to be doing something all the time. The people there (don't mean to make a blanket statement like this because I know there are honest hard working people there) just walk the streets and have nothing to live for. It's strange.

Don't even get me started about Bourbon Street....

AMEN Anthony

I have family there. There are GOOD people there. The simple truth is the Government didn't react swiftly enough or do enough afterward.

Beth

WHAT do you DO when Levee's FAIL ?

And, so WHAT if they would have got the people out of there, the city was STILL wasted.

Sure, lives would have been spared, a good thing!

But what about the cost of taxpayers CONSTANTLY rebuilding a City ?

Beth, TWICE we have rebuilt New Orleans, now it looks like Time 3.

Is there SOME point we say "enough is enough", and give up ?

Or, do we keep pouring money into a place that isn't supposed to be there anyway ?

Beth

My feeling is IF people are stupid enough to live in a place like that, that's on them.

But please dont ask US to pay for it ?

Look at this, and other polls ?

If Gustav Wipes Out New Orleans, Should We Rebuild It?(serious) - Page 5 - Xbox 360 & Xbox Forums

Evidently, others feel the same way.

New Orleans is a rotten location for a city. However, the Port of New Orleans is one of this country's most important ports, serving the great heartland of America, because of the Mississippi River complex.

The amount of cargo that is imported and exported through New Orleans is staggering and vital to international trade. Oil drilling and oil services offshore in the Gulf are also very important to this nation.

Shut down New Orleans and environs and risk future long term economic depression.

New Orleans is below sea level. It doesn't seem logical to build a city below sea level. It should be filled with water and turned into a water park.

What's the cost of rebuilding a historical city compared to the Iraq War? America in reality is a very very young nation - and we need all the history we can get. Chris, logically speaking - should we keep rebuilding new orleans, no. But as Americans do we need historical areas to latch onto - instead of developers bulldozing everything of antiquity and giving us strip malls and condo complexes instead - I think we can spare the extra cash to keep a little history with us. Let's just get rid of that pesky 50% of our Federal budget that 'trickles' its way into the pentagon. HA! I finally figured 'trickle' down economics - it's really a raging river that flows right into our war budget, and stops right there!

Chris...

Sometime I think you sniff too much bleach.

Comments like this make you look like a jerk.

Beth

Really ?

Then I am not alone in "being a jerk" ?

The case against rebuilding the sunken city of New Orleans. - By Jack Shafer - Slate Magazine

New Orleans is below sea level. It doesn't seem logical to build a city below sea level. It should be filled with water and turned into a water park.

This is an interesting article The case against rebuilding the sunken city of New Orleans. - By Jack Shafer - Slate Magazine

We would get the Missippi River Delta Back !

Wonder if that would help flooding in the Midwest ?

I agree with Chris. Mother Nature wants the people out, how clear does she have to make it? the same with tornado alley.you get hit sevral times a year and dont get the hint. my question is why would anyone buy land that sits 20+ft below sea level. must of been a hell of a salesman.But all in all god bless everyone in the area.+Ive been there to party sevral times in the last 5 years. its fun but it's also very ire at night.the crime rate there is the 2nd highest in the U.S.

I agree with Chris. Mother Nature wants the people out, how clear does she have to make it? the same with tornado alley.you get hit sevral times a year and dont get the hint. my question is why would anyone buy land that sits 20+ft below sea level. must of been a hell of a salesman.But all in all god bless everyone in the area.+Ive been there to party sevral times in the last 5 years. its fun but it's also very ire at night.the crime rate there is the 2nd highest in the U.S.

Be careful Joe, before YOU get labeled a Jerk

Chris...

Sometime I think you sniff too much bleach.

Comments like this make you look like a jerk.

Beth

Hey, it's all good, we can disagree with out being disagreeable, and have a good discussion.

We have some LONG bridges here in Florida, and people run out of Gas, despite the zillions of signs.

The Police USED to cater to them, but now they SIT for a good while, LOL

WHY should my tax dollars be used to bail out some Yahoo who failed to take precations ?

He pushed the envelope, why should I pay for it ?

Same with New Orleans.

Nature dont WANT it there, we have taken away much of the Missippi's flood plain!

Result ?

Flooding in the Midwest !

And Tax Money spent needlessy.

Nice to have a fellow "Jerk" agree Joe :umbrella:

The most disturbing memory of Katrina I have is the image of 20 year old men standing on top of rooftops holding up signs begging to be rescued.I will NEVER forget this.

To me that is the ultimate manifestation of the cancer that is destroying this country...the CURSE of the welfare state.

I am not referring the halt and maimed,the elderly.

I am talking about young men who,instead of leading their families out of danger(this was not a suprise),bleated like goats at the Gov.to save them.

The mindset of "the Gov't did'nt do enough" sickens me.

"Providing for the common defense and general welfare of the United States" does not cover the problems of a single city.

On top of that is the culture of voodoo that pervades that city.Another giant chain of bondage around the neck of that city.

When I recall the images of the Astrodome filled with hopeless,helpless people who have lived off the tit of the Gov't for so long that they are incapable of providing for themselves...heartbreaking.

Like it or not this country was settled,founded and built by people who relied not on gov's,but upon The Living God,the God and Father of the Lord Jesus Christ to supply all their needs,according to His RICHES and GLORY,by Christ Jesus.This is what spawned the term self reliance that has been methodically drained from our culture by the Gov't schools,universities and the big bang of that Stalin fan,FDR.Google "The Frankfurt School" before anyone starts frothing .

That mindset has been replaced by the welfare culture.Government is now viewed as the supplying god,and that is sucking the very life from this great country.

Obviously I am featuring the worst of the calamity.

I know that beloved people suffered greatly from loss of life and material destruction.I also know that a great many people took it for what it was,dealt with it and kept fighting to rebuild their losses,instead of whining about the Gov.I thank God for their lives and courage.

I am not trying to pick any fights,but simply expressing my thoughts concerning a subject that has been used to vilify President Bush,instead of exposing the then useless Governor,and mayor of NO.

Bobby Jindal is a different story.

I thank God that Gustave evaporates before landfall,and life may go on....if not I trust that the people will deal with it,or move.There is not much choice...except for whining about the Governments inaction.

We will see.

My step brother was a first responder during Katrina. He works for Fish & Wildlife. He and his buddy and co-worker went out in a boat and rescued people from rooftops and took them to the dome where they were supposed to go. They navigated water without knowing what was where, and passed many a dead body. Devastation was all around them. Some that were helped were those who had lived there all their lives, were elderly and had no way to leave or were handicapped. There were real people, good people, friends of my family who lost everything they owned. They were not bums or ghetto people, they were families in the path of a devastating force of nature. Anyone who is God fearing, who is compassionate, and who holds life dear needs to think about this if they react without compassion or with disgust or disdain towards those who suffered and lost friends, family or home. Shame on you!

Beth

My step brother was a first responder during Katrina. He works for Fish & Wildlife. He and his buddy and co-worker went out in a boat and rescued people from rooftops and took them to the dome where they were supposed to go. They navigated water without knowing what was where, and passed many a dead body. Devastation was all around them. Some that were helped were those who had lived there all their lives, were elderly and had no way to leave or were handicapped. There were real people, good people, friends of my family who lost everything they owned. They were not bums or ghetto people, they were families in the path of a devastating force of nature. Anyone who is God fearing, who is compassionate, and who holds life dear needs to think about this if they react without compassion or with disgust or disdain towards those who suffered and lost friends, family or home. Shame on you!

Beth

Beth, do you KNOW I am a Ham Radio Operator, duh ?

Many Hams went to NO to VOLUNTEER communications services.

THAT is what Hams do.

I kNOW the devastation, and the meaning of Compassion.

It is MY belief it would have been FAR more compassiionate to REMOVE these people from NO, and relocate them somewhere else.

IF this hurricane hits, lets HELP any victims, and finally relocate them from a city that aint supposed to be there anyway ?

THAT is all I am saying.

Friends dont let Friends STAY in NO, LA.

Beth, do you KNOW I am a Ham Radio Operator, duh ?

Many Hams went to NO to VOLUNTEER communications services.

THAT is what Hams do.

I kNOW the devastation, and the meaning of Compassion.

It is MY belief it would have been FAR more compassiionate to REMOVE these people from NO, and relocate them somewhere else.

IF this hurricane hits, lets HELP any victims, and finally relocate them from a city that aint supposed to be there anyway ?

THAT is all I am saying.

Friends dont let Friends STAY in NO, LA.

Nope. How would I know you are a ham radio nut? So what?

I agree that evacuation is wise and mandatory evacuation orders should be followed, but many chose not to leave, and many had no way to leave. If someone chose to stay, or had no way to leave, I suppose to you it means that if they suffer as a result it's ok for you to lose all compassion? Because that is how your post read to me. And since the city is below sea level and many of the surrounding town, cities and parrishes suffered devastation as well, well, the hell with all of it? Don't have the Gov't help them? I guarantee you, of it had been your city you would not feel this way.

I went through Slidell not 3 months after Katrina, when we visited my Dad at Christmas in his home just 10 miles away. I saw foundations with no homes. I saw demolished boats on dry land, I saw retail buildings ripped in half with their stock strune all over the land. I saw gas stations with pumps ripped up, and I saw homes with the circles and cross pailed on the doors and the numbers in thier quadrants to signify the date and the number of bodies found in the house. Contractor signs littered the land area of median strips and corners and added to the debris from the storm. Trash was everywhere - of every kind. Fema trailers were in driveways people were doing their best to live in them while thier homes were being worked on. In many cases, where a house was built over water the house was gone but there was no place to put a trailer.

Beth

That was on the North Shore, where I lived- a lot closer to where the storm actually hit in SW Mississippi. Most of the FEMA money went to areas that were directly hit by the hurricane.

New Orleans wasn't destroyed until the next day when the levees broke. The Army Corp of Engineers built the levees. Whole different scenario.