Sign in to follow this  
Apple Roof Cleaning

Your Opinions On Rebuilding New Orleans ?

Question

What do you guys THINK about rebuilding New Orleans ?

SHOULD we have spent all that Money, TWICE ?

Hurricane Gustav is heading right at it.

Now, IF Gustav hits, what do we do ?

Spend MORE Taxpayers Money for a City that AIN"T supposed to be there anyway ?

Maybe it is time to give up ?

115 answers to this question

Chris I am going to bite my tongue on this issue (or mabye not), lol. I will say this concerning your post, OH SWEET MOSES. You can put links up about, (your not the only one who feels this way), LMFAO. Thats what you always do. Dear God Man!!!!! I will ask you this, did you know what your sea level was before you moved to the Tampa area? Chris your area will be hit with a major storm, and I would hope that people like you will stay and RIDE THE STORM out and see what I, and a lot of people have seen. Where were you when 2 major hurricanes hit My area 4 years ago, let me guess you were on your Ham Radio helping these people out. Chris please quit posting about things you obviously have no Clue about. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH

Be careful Thad..praying for you guys down there bro.

Beth...according to you the gov't didn't act quick enough, they are a bunch of wasteful idiots. So we should put them in charge of a national healthcare plan? Doesn't make any sense to me. Sorry, not trying to get off the topic at hand, just trying to prove a point that everytime the gov't gets involved with anything, it's pretty much down hill from there.

Oh yeah, and for the record, I don't think it being below sea level is such a big deal...I mean it is, but there are other places that are below sea level and are just fine. I play in a golf tournemant every year at a city below sea level called Death Valley, it's beautiful there. Like a little oasis in the desert.

t6xqtg.jpg

Edited by HotShot

What do you guys THINK about rebuilding New Orleans ?

SHOULD we have spent all that Money, TWICE ?

Hurricane Gustav is heading right at it.

Now, IF Gustav hits, what do we do ?

Spend MORE Taxpayers Money for a City that AIN"T supposed to be there anyway ?

Maybe it is time to give up ?

Good questions...I'd think something of only a high ground plan for developement should be considered. My lady is hardcore on this issue and was just saying this morning that basically she has no compassion under premiss it supposed to be a swamp. I realize there has to be a port there so something has to be done or kept from the waters.

Chris go without Power for 2-3 weeks and then comment on this subject. While your there without power for 2-3 weeks try going to get gas or ice or water or food, then Chris you can sit on your High horse and post these ridiculious things, then you can not imagine what people go through when a major storm hits. Please do not brag that your a (ham radio operator) and could fully understand what people go through. I guarentee you (Mr, You have everything figured out) you would beg for just one more bag of ice. I am going to appologize for this in advance but while this guy was basking in his A/C and having plenty of lifes essential needs, he has no IDEA what the government stepping in and helping out ment to my family and several others. CHRIS I THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY FAMILIES HEARTS FOR GIVING YOUR HARD EARNED TAX DOLLARS. Well that is if you pay TAXES. arrrrgggghhhh

Edited by PWkid

Wow, after reading this thread I see it is quite heated. I say practicing common sense and considering whats best for the nation as a whole rather than just a perticular area or it's inhabitants is a fair topic. I don't see why 'jerk' has to be applied here other than under context of jerking people out of where they shouldn't be.That possability reminds me of what other countries have done with their countries people when it is deemed the best thing. Down in South America one of those countries(maybe brazil?) moved everyone out of a huge valley in order to dam it up so they could power Rio De Janeiro. China might be in middle of some such thing too and if not mistaken America has done so a time or two at least?

Topic is about socializm, personal freedoms, welfare, and flipping the bill for it in my opinion. I don't have a problem with the American people flipping bill for some out of this world solution to keeping a port there. Regular folk doing nothing related to a port though?..NOPE,NOTTA, no on NO.

Everyone read this article through the heading 'Economy' and then revisit this thread with accurate information and not conjecture or worse.

:)

There are quite a few salient points that are being ignored.

I was in NOLA 5 days after Katrina as a home inspector for Fema. Unless you where there it is hard to comprehend. The people of that city have a lot of pride and will always come back to rebuild.

Beth I agree there are good people in NOLA however they are a minority. I seen first hand people trading fema cards for drugs! People with kids in their arms. Then I would see them beg for food at salvation army and if the did not get what they wanted they would start fights. I seen them complain about free food! They would try to claim damages that did not accure saying they had rooms full of furniture and appliances.

We heard shots fired nightly Cops were giving guns to home insectors for protection when we where not allowed to carry. It was serious.

Look at the crime rates after the evac. Atlanta and Houstons nearly dubbled over night. Its a welfare state and you can see that if you have ever been. Its not just in the 9th ward its in every Parish.

Anthony, suppose your precious golf area was burned to the ground , would you want it to be rebuilt? I play and love the game of golf.

Mel... that is a bad analogy because I would say no I can go play golf somewhere else, but I get your point.

I lived in an area that seems to have a raging fire every couple years and nearly burns the entire place to the ground. Do you remember all the fires in Southern California on the news? That's where I lived. Key word here is lived. I got tired of wondering if the fire was finally going to get us this year and picked up my family and moved 60 miles away where the only thing that can burn here is tumbleweeds.

Bout the only thing I have to worry about now as far as natural disasters go is earthquakes. Don't think I can move far enough away from them or I would.

Beth I agree there are good people in NOLA however they are a minority. I seen first hand people trading fema cards for drugs! People with kids in their arms. Then I would see them beg for food at salvation army and if the did not get what they wanted they would start fights. I seen them complain about free food! They would try to claim damages that did not accure saying they had rooms full of furniture and appliances.

We heard shots fired nightly Cops were giving guns to home insectors for protection when we where not allowed to carry. It was serious.

Speaking of good people in that city... I have a picture (I'm not going to post it) of 2 well respected guys getting begged by a pregnant lady with a little baby beside her to ....eh hemmn...do some work for them for money. The guys, like I said, are upstanding guys and turned it down. Oh, did I mention that she had a cigarette hanging out of her mouth?

If we can waste BILLIONS of dollars fighting other people's wars, and then rebuilding THEIR homes, I think we can afford to TAKE CARE OF OUR OWN for once.

If we can waste BILLIONS of dollars fighting other people's wars, and then rebuilding THEIR homes, I think we can afford to TAKE CARE OF OUR OWN for once.

I agree whole heartily. We should have never went to Kosovo, Kenya, Bosnia, Haiti, and we should have NEVER let 18 of our soldiers die in Mogadishu!!! I still get pissed off when I watch Blackhawk Down. We need to save our military actions for times like when we get attacked and go find the sorry bass turds where they hang out and kill them. I agree with you Nalgas, good point.

Anthony why are there so many fires in that area? Well this might be a better analogy. Lets say earthquakes demolished La Cali. They are in an earthquake zone. Should they be rebuilt with tax payers money or just move some where else? We all know its going to happen, La was built in an earthquake zone many many years ago. Anthony maybe that is a better analogy. I may be looking at this all wrong but the whole state of Florida is in a hurricane zone. Should we all just move 60 miles away? I think maybe Nola should just move 60 miles away and save taxpayers money.

Anthony why are there so many fires in that area?

Well, my personal opinion is this. Tree hugging liberals will not let the forest service burn all the underbrush periodically because they are afraid it will harm the spotted whatever. Then, crooked firemen go out right before Christmas, set fires in spots that are prime and get lots of overtime to pay for Christmas. Firemen are the perfect fire starters and my little theory has been proven before.

Well this might be a better analogy. Lets say earthquakes demolished La Cali. They are in an earthquake zone. Should they be rebuilt with tax payers money or just move some where else? We all know its going to happen, La was built in an earthquake zone many many years ago. Anthony maybe that is a better analogy. I may be looking at this all wrong but the whole state of Florida is in a hurricane zone. Should we all just move 60 miles away? I think maybe Nola should just move 60 miles away and save taxpayers money.

Mel, I think that we all have a personal responsibility for ourselves and our families. When disasters happen, I think the gov't should do everything possible to help people in need. What happened in N.O. was horrible and tragic and I'm not trying in anyway to downplay it. However, I think if people don't have the foreknowledge to plan ahead for something and prepare then it's their own fault.

If you live in Earthquake country like myself and don't have water, canned food, generator, etc to be prepared for a tragedy until help can arrive then I would have to say that you are an idiot. If people were prepared for things, the gov't wouldn't be relied upon so much and things would run smoother in my opinion.

To answer your question though....yes, I do think the govt should help when disaster strikes. Of course they should. But I don't think that is what Chris was getting at with his original question.

I agree whole heartily. We should have never went to Kosovo, Kenya, Bosnia, Haiti, and we should have NEVER let 18 of our soldiers die in Mogadishu!!! I still get pissed off when I watch Blackhawk Down. We need to save our military actions for times like when we get attacked and go find the sorry bass turds where they hang out and kill them. I agree with you Nalgas, good point.

I believe that if we were to put half the effort into taking care of our own, as we do in HARRASSING the rest of the world, we would be in a MUCH better position. We rebuild other countries, we give medical attention, we provide security...and the list goes on. While we are in other coutries, spending BILLIONS of dollars on their problems, we turn a blind eye to our own...and that is REALLY screwed up! IMO, New Orleans is HOME to a LOT of people, and we have no right to take their HOME away.

One point that keeps being ignored is that Katrina did NOT hit New Orleans.

It hit the MS coast.

New Orleans was inundated the next day when the Army Corps of Engineers- built levees failed. It was a man-made disaster.

Also the original settlement, what is referred to as the French Quarter and Algiers, were relatively unaffected. The French built there because it was high and dry.

The areas that flooded were reclaimed swamps for the most part.

New Orleans was inundated the next day when the Army Corps of Engineers- built levees failed. It was a man-made disaster.

Thad, had YOU built the levees, who do you think would be held responsible for their failure?

Thad, had YOU built the levees, who do you think would be held responsible for their failure?

Bush, I mean he snorkeled down there and blew them up. It doesn't matter who built them :lgbonk:

Bush, I mean he snorkeled down there and blew them up. It doesn't matter who built them :lgbonk:

Actually, I heard that you blew them up. :D

Anthony..lol. That would be something to see! Whatever happens with this next storm I pray that people remain safe and sound!

Next time I swing through Barstow on my way to Vegas.....I am definately calling you so we can hook up.

Hope all is well in the desert!