Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Ipe' stain shoot out

Question

Last year, it was a citric - oxalic acid prep comparison on ipe'. The results were inconclusive. This year, it is a stain appearance and longitivity comparison.

Finally got around to working on my own ipe' deck. Wood was lightly stripped (3 oz./gal. NaOH) and washed, followed by a citric acid brightening. Citric was allowed to dry on the wood but overnight rains probably rinsed it off anyway. Sanded lightly with a RO with 60 grit.

As Armstrong-Clark has gotten a lot of attention this year, decided to stain with their "rustic brown" color to test for the full deck. But kept a floor board open for other products.

Left to right in the picture. Armstrong-Clark rustic brown, WoodTux warm honey gold, Defy - Deck Stains for Hardwoods, cedar tone color (water based), Benjamin Moore Alkyd Transparent Hardwood Finish - natural 321 10 color, Ready Seal light brown color.

The picture was taken immediately after application. All stains except the areas of the Defy are still wet.

Thanks to Scott Paul for the Defy sample, Jake Clark for the Armstrong-Clark stain, and Benjamin Moore for their new hardwood stain sample. These were provided free of charge.

The Ready Seal and WoodTux were purchased by my company for customer jobs.

112 answers to this question

Defy uses a resin that is completely different then all other water based stains. It is much better at penetration. The majority of deck stain manufacturers use the acrylic paint resins. Basically they are taking paint and trying to thin it down to make a transparent penetrating stain. Defy being that they are not a paint company started off with a completely different resin.

The Defy can be cleaned and re coated without issues and from feedback that I have heard, it will hold color better after the second application.

Excellent IPE info on this thread. For what it's worth here are a few pics of a Cashew based resin we use on Ipe. The Ipe is scrubbed with Lime Clean which neutralizes the tannic acid and opens the pores. Then it's best sanded with 50 grit but that is not done in this test. These boards are clear. No stain. It compares a conventional penetrating linseed oil based natural deck stain to a new film forming water based deck stain to a film of the Mountain XT cashew resin. Weathering was horizontal, full weather exposure, mountainside with moist shady mornings and then bright midday and evening sun. Most of the time a single penetrating stain of the Mountain XT is applied on Ipe but many people want that rich, exotic brownish red hue and so this test demonstrates how that is achieved.

Finish Schedule:

New Ipe

4/2009

Rainforest Sealer Clear 00

Brushed x 1

12/2009 - 9 months

Lime Clean

Rainforest Sealer Clear 00

Mountain XT Clear 00 x 2

5/2011 - 17 months

Pics taken, XT in good shape,

6/2011 - 18 Months

Lime Clean and Roll on a coat of Mountain XT Clear 00.

6/2013 - ?

The first and second Lime Clean wash did a lot of good and without it the stain wouldn't penetrate. Sanding would have improved these results but was omitted since most homeowners wouldn't do it. The water based product is not Defy. Regardless, this is not a pigment test. Fading of pigment says more about that pigment color than it does for the stain. There is no pigment added because clear is more revealing. Stain colors improve these results.

PICS after 15 and 17 Months of Weathering. 1: New Water Based vs XT Cashew Based. 2: Lime Clean (I believe that wood type is Ironwood, similar to Ipe.). 3: 15 Month Old Mountain XT Close Up. 4: New Water Based vs Mountain XT Cashew Based. 5: Oil vs XT (this is the edge section of pic 3.

post-7920-13777238282_thumb.jpg

post-7920-137772382516_thumb.jpg

post-7920-137772382578_thumb.jpg

post-7920-137772382667_thumb.jpg

post-7920-137772382756_thumb.jpg

Edited by Earthpaint

[quote name=Scott Paul

The Defy can be cleaned and re coated without issues and from feedback that I have heard, it will hold color better after the second application.[/quote]

I have not been pleased at all with how Defy recoats. The second and third coatings never look anywhere near as good as the first.

I have not been pleased at all with how Defy recoats. The second and third coatings never look anywhere near as good as the first.

Typical of a water based film coating.

Rick, you need to do another one of these....

Beth

Beth,

Can not do.  We moved up to the country last year so I no longer own an ipe' deck to use for testing.

Rick. Count us in with the reviews.  Right now we are ranked #1 in the US.   Track well,  Jake

Hey Jake,

Congrats on the ranking, and more importantly, escaping that nasty Rim Fire!  A close call.

I'm in for 3 more days, and waitlisted for 4 more down at NJMP before the tracks in this region close for the season.  Watkins Glen last month was an inspiration.

That's an excuse Rick.....get a couple boards..... And you call yourself a Woodie.....

Beth

Beth,

I've done my part.  Where are the new woodies to take up the torch?  At times, seems like a dying craft.  Charlie Snoden, where are you?

And, IMO, most stains have not radically changed since this initial test was completed.